Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Need new tires for my m4

My Cars
    M4

Need new tires for my m4

I've had my m4 for just under a year and need new tires. Looking to get longer life from them. Can I put an all season run flat tire on this car and still get similar performance?

My Cars
    04 330ci
    How many miles did you put on it to get new tires in under a year?

Don't get runflats. They are far worse performing(in all categories) and are only good for simple punctures. Plus bmw won't patch it in case of anything.

And why would you put all seasons on an m4? It's not like you'll be driving it in the snow... If you're not tracking your car, get a set of bridgestone s04(best), conti dw, or hankook v12. The michelin pss are at the top as far as performance and quality goes but have the lowest durability...
    Last edited by stan54; 04-01-2016 at 11:42 PM.

My Cars
    M4
    There is actually almost 17,000 miles on the car. The tires are worn, but the bigger problem is that there is a puncture in one of the tires that is unpatchable cause of the location. I do drive it all year round and live in New York. The problem with summer tires is not just the snow, but the frigid temps we have here. So I figured all seasons would be a better option. As far as the run flats, as you know, there is no donut or spare tire in this car. Wouldnt want to have to call a tow truck any time I had a simple flat tire. Would've had to do it already with the puncture I have now.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You have an M4 which is a performance car. 'All season' tyres are a compromise of summer and winters and are much better suited to much lower power output or run of the mill cars where owners don't really know or particularly care for performance etc. All season tyres on your car would be a larger compromise. Will you get 'similar performance', overall, no you wouldn't, but it depends on what kind of performance level you mean.

Of course, it's up to you, try a set of all seasons if you wish/must, but do check on any warranty aspects or if the car is leased, any specific requirements for specification of tyres etc. Most owners of an M4 will have a set of wheels for the summer to get the performance, and a set of winter wheels with winter tyres on for when it gets cold and snowy etc over there. This is the best course of action.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    04 330ci
    I live in NJ(not for much longer tho) so I know what you mean about the cold. You also have to keep in mind that all seasons typically have a much harder and longer wearing compound so your overall grip will be worse in both summer and winter than a summer tire - and if performance isn't a priority to you, than an m4 is the wrong car. I have summer tires year round and only have to look out for the handful of snow falls we have 3-4 months out of the year. I could have went with all seasons for the same reasons your considering but I'm glad I went with summer tires. Not only is the extra grip good for performance reasons but safety as well. If you need to emergency brake or swerve out of the way, you'll have that buffer that you otherwise wouldn't have with all seasons - plus it's fun to take on/off ramps at speed and get the holeshot at stoplights. Plus the m4 is a heavy car with lots of power and huge brakes so all seasons would severely limit it.

As far as runflats, how often do you get a flat anyway? Once every few years? Why trade hundreds of hours of driving for the possibility of the inconvenience of getting towed due to a flat. I worked at a bmw dealership for 6 months and *not a single customer* had anything good to say about runflats. They are truly horrible in every way and you will regret getting them - I can't stress this enough. We had them on our 2012 x3 and after switching to bridgetone ecopias, I can safely say that I will NEVER get runflats in any car again. I can't even imagine how bad it would be on an m4 with the relativity low profile sidewalls.

Getting all season runflats is literally the worst thing you can do to your m4.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    The michelin performance all season would be a good tire for you. Like others said above, it is a trade off in performance. Ideally you'd have something like a michelin pilot super sport for the warm months and a dedicated snow tire for the winter, which is what I do. However, I totally understand that 8 17'' tires for me is about $1000, where 8 of your M4 19'' tires is probably much more than that! In my experience the michelins just perform better and last longer than the cheaper brands.

My Cars
    X5
    Michelin is expensive but their road traction and tread life are highly rated.

My Cars
    MaxPsi M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Onejetfan View Post
    I've had my m4 for just under a year and need new tires. Looking to get longer life from them. Can I put an all season run flat tire on this car and still get similar performance?
    Or if you have space available, get a set of snow tires and maybe rims for the winter. I kept a set of blizzaks for the winter and star specs for the summer.

My Cars
    skateboard
    For the price of a new proper snow setup, OP could get a winter beater. Granted, life is short though...