Thread: what's up everyone! just got my first Bmw!

My Cars
    2004 325xi 5speed

what's up everyone! just got my first Bmw!

How's it going everyone? Like it says I just purchased my first bmw. It's a 2004 325xi with 115,000 miles. I have been doing a lot of reading and am very much in love with car overall. But still I'm new to bmw so any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'll be posting pictures soon and hope to talk with some of you!

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Welcome, and get ready for a very dynamic car ownership experience.
    Go to the E46(your chasis #) subforum and read WoLF's thread on useful threads. I hope you had a PPI done before purchasing the car.

OH, and if you're the type to get you hands dirty I would suggest purchasing a Bentley Service Manual, it can help you immensely for DIY work...if not, start searching your area for a reputable BMW (or German import) mechanic. The 'stealership' loves your money more than you ever will.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    2004 325xi 5speed
    Thanks for the reply! Sorry I didn't see it till today though haha. I didn't have a ppi done and I think I screwed up in that sense because I am more noticing a slight "thud" when I hit a bump just right with the read of the car or when I downshift somewhat quickly. Where can I get a Bentley service manual?

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    No worries brother, we're not going anywhere.
    Is the "thud" only from vertical motion? May be suspension. Inspect the shocks, shock mounts and coil springs. I had to do mine in the past few weeks due to a broken coil spring, but I was getting a "CLUNK-clunk" type of sound. Also, from harder cornering.
    [Edit: After thinking/re-reading, would the "thud" come from dropping the clutch? Either up or down shift? Could be differential mounts.]
    Lots of things can make noise in these cars, I'm always chasing something or other.
    I would still get an inspection done by either the dealer or a reputable indy to get a soild bearing on the important issues. (Don't worry, not getting a PPI is not a mistake you'll make twice.)
    As far as the service manual, I got mine off Amazon...be prepared though, they are a bit pricey but TOTALLY worth it. A very comprehensive manual, way better than any Haynes manual could ever aspire to be IMO.
    http://www.amazon.com/1999-2005-Seri...ilpage_o04_s00
    After looking up my past order the price went up, and is now primarily available in paper back...I paid $75 and got hard cover but enough gloating.
    Also worth a read: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=896234
    Last edited by Doge; 04-09-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: addition

My Cars
    2004 325xi 5speed
    It will only thud when Hit a bump just the right(or I guess I mean the wrong) way or when downshifting, it won't make a sound at all when upshifting. I'm most definitely going to get that manual it'll most likely pay for itself.

That's a one man indy shop literally two miles from my house. The guy only works on bmw and I'm pretty sure he's been at it probably since before I was born haha(I'm only 24). I've never been one to bring my car to a shop, I've always done my own maintenance and repairs but, I'd really like someone with substantial knowledge of these cars to look it over and let me know if anything doesn't seem right.

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonn325xi View Post
    ...I'm most definitely going to get that manual it'll most likely pay for itself...I've never been one to bring my car to a shop, I've always done my own maintenance and repairs but, I'd really like someone with substantial knowledge of these cars to look it over and let me know if anything doesn't seem right.
    If you work on your own car it is worth it's (pretty hefty) weight in gold...It's about as thick as my thumb is long, and I'm 6'2". It goes over everything short of board level circuitry, and ripping into a trans or a diff...B/c it recommends having a professional do that for obvious reasons.

It does seem, from what you're reporting, to be related to your rear suspension. The rear shock mounts go bad very regularly, and depending on the type of shocks installed...have you checked to see if your spare is secured in its pan? Maybe it's hopping around when rolling over a bump? Hopefully the battery is cinched correctly b/c that would be dangerous AF. I'm more familiar with a thud being something that is loose, but if you take it to your local wizard [he] can diagnose "harder to find" issues. That's what I do when I'm feeling lazy or can't spend the time, my guy instantly diagnosed a bent upper control arm in my rear along with my broken spring perched on said UCA. Nothing beats someone with tons of experience.

Pay in CASH, especially a one man operation, he may only accept cash anyway...but cash is KING. I paid cash without it being requested to my guy (he accepts card) and now he appreciates my business more because of the simplicity.

My Cars
    2004 325xi 5speed
    Well I'll go check the spare tire and battery in a few minutes. I would be sooooo happy if it's just the spare tire bouncing around back there. Fingerscrossed

My Cars
    2004 325xi 5speed
    Ok so I just checked it... the spare was a little loose. Enough to make think that it possibly was the problem but not enough to%100 convince me. I'll find out for sure when I leave work tonight.

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Here's hoping...*raises beer*
    I always end up thinking it's the worst possible thing and it ends up being something stupid like change rattling in my cup holder.

My Cars
    2004 325xi 5speed
    Well it's still thumping away but I'm guna have to wait until Monday to crawl under there and look around. I'll post back when I'm under there!

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonn325xi View Post
    Well it's still thumping away but I'm guna have to wait until Monday to crawl under there and look around. I'll post back when I'm under there!
    You should start a post in the E46 sub-forum for this.
    There are far more experienced, and more smarterer, people who peruse that forum who could (and will) help point you in the right direction.
    Though I still think rear suspension makes the most sense at the moment.

Get under her, poke and prod around, start a post there and let the games begin. Pics and or video are always better than words.
    What's that saying? A picture is worth a thousand...pieces of spaghetti? I'm bad at idioms
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    2004 325xi 5speed
    Ha! Well if that isn't the saying it should be! Haha I'll post in the e46 section later today. And thank for the help you've given me so far, much appreciated!

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    No problem at all, I was hoping it would be the spare for you.
    See you in the sub-forum brother. Those guys know their s#it.

FYI: An easy way to check the RSMs is to remove and disconnect the rear light cluster from inside the trunk, remove the side pan, pull the press-rivets out and displace the carpeting until you can see the top of the shock mount...then bouce her up and down to look for excessive deflection...if it does that could be your issue, plus it only takes about 20 minutes to perform.
    Last edited by Doge; 04-10-2016 at 10:06 AM.