Thread: Sensatec vs Leather?

My Cars
    E63 AMG, RRC

Sensatec vs Leather?

Potentially gonna make a purchase tomorrow on a 2016 X3 28D...

Has all the right colors/ options except for the seats. They are black sensatec (vinyl leatherette) as opposed to regular leather.

Any sensatec owners care to chime in on experiences with this material? Am I going to regret the purchase?

I know that they will wear better than leather, and visually look about the same. But sitting in the car today on the test drive my butt could definitely feel the difference. Kinda felt spongy/ rubbery.

My main concern is once it gets to be summer... does the material breathe well or do you get sweaty back/ sticky to it on hot days? I've read mixed reviews on how it feels on hot days. Especially since its black.

-C
    2012 Audi A3 TDI
    1975 Range Rover
    2022 Tesla M3P
    1987 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda CT-90 Trail

My Cars
    z3
    I drive a 128i with sensatec sometimes, truthfully, I hardly ever notice the difference. Truthfully, when I do notice the difference, my thoughts are "this material is actually kind of nice" and even more truthfully, I'm even more grateful that car has Sensatec whenever I compare it to a same-year car with leather. They do feel a little different (spongey is a good word) but the thing is, they will feel like that in 10 years when the foam under the leather is worn flat.

I live in AZ so heat is a huge thing. I've noticed that the Sensatec is very good at not getting too hot in the sun. Sitting in those seats after the car being out in the sun all day feels better than sitting in the light tan leather in my truck...
    You'll get a little "back stickiness" on really hot days, but you'll get less than you will with leather. The back sweat is really from your skin not having anywhere to breathe back there. Leather won't be any better in that regard.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E63 AMG, RRC
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I drive a 128i with sensatec sometimes, truthfully, I hardly ever notice the difference. Truthfully, when I do notice the difference, my thoughts are "this material is actually kind of nice" and even more truthfully, I'm even more grateful that car has Sensatec whenever I compare it to a same-year car with leather. They do feel a little different (spongey is a good word) but the thing is, they will feel like that in 10 years when the foam under the leather is worn flat.

I live in AZ so heat is a huge thing. I've noticed that the Sensatec is very good at not getting too hot in the sun. Sitting in those seats after the car being out in the sun all day feels better than sitting in the light tan leather in my truck...
    You'll get a little "back stickiness" on really hot days, but you'll get less than you will with leather. The back sweat is really from your skin not having anywhere to breathe back there. Leather won't be any better in that regard.
    Thanks for the informative response... went ahead and picked it up!
    2012 Audi A3 TDI
    1975 Range Rover
    2022 Tesla M3P
    1987 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda CT-90 Trail

My Cars
    X5
    Sensatec looks like a real leather. It is easy to clean and wears well though it is not as supple as leather.