Thread: Kill Switch to fix Parasitic Drain

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4

Kill Switch to fix Parasitic Drain

Gents,

I'm thinking of installing a kill switch to my battery to address my parasitic drain (something is drawing down on my battery as the car is turned off) - something simple like this directly in the car battery: http://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-M...04ES48438K9T3R

Does anyone have a better idea? Any ideas to run something to the cockpit of the car so I don't have to pop the trunk to use the kill switch every time?

Thanks all,

BMW Z4 2006 E85.

P.s. I connected a voltmeter which showed a 0.89 Amp draw when the car was off. I tried diagnosing the issue by pulling all fuses, none of which reduced the current draw. Therefore, I'm pretty dumbfounded as to what is causing the draw... any ideas?

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    I guess it will work. Personally I'd hook a battery tender to it before I'd do that. Loosing all of your settings and whatnot sounds a little less than desirable.

So back to diagnosing the problem:

Have you checked online for all potential problems TSBs, etc. Lastly, have you taken the car to the dealership? As much as I love to avoid the dealership if this is a truly isolated issue perhaps BMW NA and the dealership will work with you to keep this troubleshooting and repair reasonable. They are going to know the car better than anyone else.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    A battery tender probably costs less than the installation of the kill switch and time spent reprogramming everything.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    z3
    I suggest fixing the actual underlying problem (the short or whatever is causing battery drain) instead of just fixing the symptoms. You looked at the "all" the fuses? This diagram shows fuses for your cars, color coded by whether they are switched (powered with ignition only) or always hot:

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4
    Lots of good suggestions. Thanks to all who have replied.

1) I have hooked up the multimeter and pulled fuses to find the source with no result. Apparently there is another fuse box in the engine bay, so that is my next step.

2) It is not the trunk light, I've set my phone on record and closed the trunk - the light goes off.

3) A battery tender/trickle charger I don't think would work because my car dies in about 24 hours. So unless the trickle charger is plugged into an outlet... which I suppose that could be a solution. Although I would imagine that a kill switch might be easier to manage.

4) No gap-tech installed.

5) I have changed my battery to ensure that it is not a battery issue. Also, I am sure it is a parasitic drain because I've hooked the battery up to a multimeter.

For all those people that have recommended I pull fuses, I have indeed pulled fuses. None of them dropped the reading on the multimeter. I have not however tried the fuses in the engine bay, and I will try that next.

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    I wish I had one. *Cough*Cough* FSU

75cb2fdb-8a59-5153-0a0f-021bac5d45df.jpg
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    I used to use this kill switch in the winter time because my car wouldnt start after a week of sitting when temps are very cold. The car starts up when sitting for 3 weeks when its warm. I now use a battery tender.

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    3 Biggest potential draws are Final Stage, Auxillary fan & rear window defroster

My Cars
    '93 740il '84 633Csi
    Do you detect that the car goes to sleep after the prescribed active period? What is the draw you have found when active and when asleep?