Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: RSBblackM3's 2001 540iT sport build

My Cars
    E39 540IT
    RSBBlackM3 - Thanks for posting up your feedback about the M5 steering box swap & new center tie rod.

Are the M5 engine & gearbox mounts much stiffer compared to the stock V8 mounts?

Also how do you upload the steering maps - INPA?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    IIRC, the M5 and touring subframe bushings are very different so I don't think that will work.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by jayt22 View Post
    RSBBlackM3 - Thanks for posting up your feedback about the M5 steering box swap & new center tie rod.

Are the M5 engine & gearbox mounts much stiffer compared to the stock V8 mounts?

Also how do you upload the steering maps - INPA?
    I dont have any experience with new 540 trans/engine mounts but the M5 mounts feel great. They are stiffer than my old blown ones and really sharpened things up. I drove to work today in D S mode and it feels really good! I would suggest them, I don't feel the engine or any driveline with them at a stop light (NVH).

Steering maps are presets in the GM module, there are 6 maps. INPA will let you change all that, yes. Geargrinder has a great thread discussing it:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...t-Curve-Coding

You must have the HIGH version of the GM for servotronic to work. MAKE SURE you program the GM to your car if you do have to swap it out. For a minute we thought that my rear hatch was broken then I remembered we didnt code the GM to my car and tell it that it's a wagon LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    IIRC, the M5 and touring subframe bushings are very different so I don't think that will work.
    You are correct they are very different bushings but the underbody braces (tortion bars) make up the gap that the M5 bushings yield on the front mounts. It would ONLY work if one were adding the m5 braces. M5 Jed pioneered this one a few yrs back.

See post #6
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-bushing-space

2001 540it Black/Black --- 2006 M3 Competition Pkg Black/Black
    **FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Interesting. I have the braces as well but never installed them. My exhaust bracket is in the way and I don't have any body roll currently. I should probably sell the set.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Pm me a price sir

- - - Updated - - -

Further suspension update review: Did my normal to work commute this morning which is stop and go traffic through north Austin over some old roads, then a few blasts when traffic clears up.

Its my most familliar drive so best comparo IMO. There is a big difference for sure. The car used to try to move one way or another under braking which is always nerve racking as you plow into a turn on the brakes. That is fixed completely...I thought this might be a bad caliper but seems the 4 ball joints on the middle tie rod were to blame. There is a weird patch of road I hit every day that is very uneven and bumpy, i usually go 30-40 over it and the car would tramline badly over this area, definately 2 hands required to make the car not jerk around, this morning, onehandedly glided through that patch with little more than a register through the wheel, so this is fixed too.

I feel like I can get in and not be constantly reminded that i am in a 2001 model that is lacking maintenance, now its just get in and enjoy.

The rear sway bar and rear sub bushings refresh has done its job, the car is much more neutral and no odd weight shift, mid to late in the turn, in the back = horray!

Only remaining issue: I can feel a slight fidget from the rear only here and there, again not many miles yet, which I believe to be the rear uppper control arms, which are next on the suspension list.

Overview:
    I think that the M5 steering box is a good move if you really like to drive the car hard and arent just using it for boring DD duties, I would pass on the M5 box if that is your goal. However if you want the 540 to wake up and feel much more sporty, its a good and relatively cheap mod ($250 for the box, $40 for GM + time) Plus if you can get a lower miles box, it'll further tighten things up in the front as well. The center tie rod is a big factor and after replacing everything but it, then going back to fix it too, it obviously is crucial for this part to be in good order for the 540 to handle and feel nice. It does have 4 ball joints on it, going both horizontal and vertical...

Rear Eibach sway is a great mod! I recommend it for agressive driving as well.

Now with the suspension all dialed in and handleing pretty damn good, I feel the suspension can handle the power of this car again, the brakes on the other hand now need work. After that, it'll be power time, I hope that wagons ho and Toolman2 get their respective projects off the ground. I think some nice boost would really set things off. I go back and forth on the s62 swap idea...My m62 feels a lot healthier with the tensioner done, no more clatter at cold start, nice power and get up all around and its putting down the power now that the suspension is GTG. Maybe I should knock out the chains and vanos and wait for a sub-6k boost option....
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 06-13-2016 at 01:12 PM.

**FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

My Cars
    318i, 540iT, Z3M
    Lol, I've also got a pair of M5 dust shields sitting unused for the same reason

No problem. Just wish I had known before I bought used shields and parking brake hardware. Looking forward to seeing what you are going with.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    If anyone is looking to do subframe bushings, I have 2 powerflex black rear subframe bushings (PFR5-530BLK) for sale or trade for PF black M5 bushings straight up (save ~$50). This set is 215 shipped from PF, Id take $150. _NO LONGER AVAILABLE_

I am going to go ahead, in a few months, and install M5 tortion bars for the rear underbody. Per M5jed you use 2 touring bushings and 2 M5 bushings for the front position, I am going to extra step of doing the poly at the same time. My set available would be ideal for replicating the same recipe by getting m5 bushings and the bars or just grab 2 more touring bushings and you're set. The underbody bars are around $100 and Jed claims they are a great upgrade for the wagon. Grab my set and 2 M5 bushes and go for it! Those making high HP should consider, Jed said specifically he felt it helps on launches.
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 07-04-2016 at 05:43 PM.

My Cars
    E39t, E30, E60, E10
    PM'd
    Bob
    2003 540 M-Sport Touring
    2008 528i
    1991 318is
    1976 2002

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by hey808 View Post
    PM'd
    Pleasure doing business, sir!

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    M5 steering box: Ratio is way faster. I am hitting the limiter (and rubbing due to the 275s) while parking everywhere, it just turns so unexpectedly fast to me right now but I will get used to it. Perhaps a bit more spacer can fix that as well...Will test that.

On road it feels really nice. The M5 box I got supposedly has 53k on it and the steering feels tighter, the dead spot is basically gone at 12 o'clock which is amazing though some of this is due to the center tie rod. I think for the cost and effort the steering ratio so far is a really good mod. I threw it around a few corners and there is much less effort required with the wheel. Pretty nice! The power assist is cool too, the steering is still way heavier than my e46 m3, to be frank I would prefer it were lighter on the e39 but I will mess with some more maps and see what happens. I started with the 01 map, now have 03 and its pretty good, may go with more assist next week to just play around.

Excellent all looks like its falling in place nicely...have the same problem with my 1999 540i wagon with the steering issues, floats not as tight as I like, want to up grade to the M5 do you know if its a plug and play for a 1999, every time I see one for sale I get it wont fit not correct...but see they fit sedans no problems...was yours plug and play? Thanks for any insight, congratulations on all the work...know your enjoying the work / time / investment now / looks to be a nice car...

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRSUVS View Post
    Excellent all looks like its falling in place nicely...have the same problem with my 1999 540i wagon with the steering issues, floats not as tight as I like, want to up grade to the M5 do you know if its a plug and play for a 1999, every time I see one for sale I get it wont fit not correct...but see they fit sedans no problems...was yours plug and play? Thanks for any insight, congratulations on all the work...know your enjoying the work / time / investment now / looks to be a nice car...
    Thanks for the praise for the car, shes coming along but much more to come!

This is not a plug and play mod. There are some wires that need to be run through the firewall which attach to oem connectors and need to be pinned in and some coding that needs to be done in order for the box to work properly. Its not impossible to do but its not simple. The center tie rod required dropping the front subframe, not easy on your back in the driveway, well for me anyway. I had this job done mostly by my mechanic, a buddy of mine did the coding and I quarterbacked by feeding them the right forum posts to get it done right.

This is the best thread on the M5 box from GG: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...g-box-retrofit

Frankly, if you are looking to rid yourself of the slop you could just replace all the oem bushings and tie rods in the front and it should feel like a new car. M5 box really just adds the tighter ratio and gives some steering assist in a different way than the 540 does. It will add to the cost significantly if you are paying someone to do it for you so consider that. Parts were about 325 for the m5 stuff alone.

Best of luck with it!
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 06-18-2016 at 08:50 AM.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    What I'd give for a nice suspension refresh. Congrats! I'm noticing the age of the car with every bump and know I'm not helping by not fixing it.

I'm inspired.

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by RSBBlackM3 View Post
    Thanks for the praise for the car, shes coming along but much more to come!

This is not a plug and play mod. There are some wires that need to be run through the firewall which attach to oem connectors and need to be pinned in and some coding that needs to be done in order for the box to work properly. Its not impossible to do but its not simple. The center tie rod required dropping the front subframe, not easy on your back in the driveway, well for me anyway. I had this job done mostly by my mechanic, a buddy of mine did the coding and I quarterbacked by feeding them the right forum posts to get it done right.

This is the best thread on the M5 box from GG: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...g-box-retrofit

Frankly, if you are looking to rid yourself of the slop you could just replace all the oem bushings and tie rods in the front and it should feel like a new car. M5 box really just adds the tighter ratio and gives some steering assist in a different way than the 540 does. It will add to the cost significantly if you are paying someone to do it for you so consider that. Parts were about 325 for the m5 stuff alone.

Best of luck with it!
    Thanks so much for the help on your experiences with actual knowledge...( the car really looks great...impressed with the mods ) just got tie rods, control arms, bushings, alignment, valve covers, replaced rear hatch struts, new windshield cowl, and fixed oil pan leak...must be too much of a perfectionist as my steering still seems a bit loose...think I had too high of expectations...know that saying...

" Those who expect nothing will not be disappointed"...like you IM a nut on my rides...

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    What I'd give for a nice suspension refresh. Congrats! I'm noticing the age of the car with every bump and know I'm not helping by not fixing it.

I'm inspired.
    Thanks! It's certainly getting there but now every step exposes the next gap, just as modding goes. I will say there is nothing like a bmw with a fresh suspension, be it a new car or refreshed classic. I just did about 50mi in my e46 m3 which has every suspension component done and upgraded heavily and its sooooo nice. My wagon is almost there! Still need to knock out the rear control arms and lower ball joint and it should be set. I will say I am beginning to regret not getting coilovers for the front. The Dinan springs may be too cushy for my taste. Do youself a big favor and get to work on the suspension. I think its the most rewarding upgrade there is!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCRSUVS View Post
    Thanks so much for the help on your experiences with actual knowledge...( the car really looks great...impressed with the mods ) just got tie rods, control arms, bushings, alignment, valve covers, replaced rear hatch struts, new windshield cowl, and fixed oil pan leak...must be too much of a perfectionist as my steering still seems a bit loose...think I had too high of expectations...know that saying...

" Those who expect nothing will not be disappointed"...like you IM a nut on my rides...
    No problem at all and thanks! If you skipped the center tie rod (like i did the first time), it will make a world of difference. Really helped a lot! Thank got there is a great resource and platform for us nuts to share, eh?

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    I stopped by member Stück's place last night while in Houston, grabbed some goodies from his late (RIP) SC'd 530 animal! Jordan is the MAN! Things are about to get interesting, and a tad rediculous.

Also, compulsively, I have a set of euro clear/red celis coming.
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 06-22-2016 at 04:58 PM.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    "Stuck Stoppers" waiting the the que. Thats a Cayenne 6-pot on an e92 360x32 semi-floater. Approx 5lbs lighter than OEM 540 stuff per corner. Will be neat to have basically a 1-off set, though they are overkill, they are also fuggin' awesome. I hope they clear the front wheels without too much spacer.

These will be going in in a few weeks along with the rest of the rear suspension compontants and the re-work of my rear SFB to powerflex/m5 tortion. I am praying the the allmighty BMW gods this fixes my shizzy suspension feels. It takes bumps well but is still squirly when the wheels turn.

Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 06-23-2016 at 04:27 PM.

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    Those brakes look nice. Very curious if those 6-pots will fit behind the 18's...
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpowered02 View Post
    Those brakes look nice. Very curious if those 6-pots will fit behind the 18's...
    Well they should fit up fine.

Jordan had them on 8.5 M Pars with a big spacer, they should clear the 9.5s with the same spacer setup, maybe even without.

That is going to be a temp setup as new wheels are already calling me, and 19s this time. Been looking at some fancy stuff, fancy used stuff and some cheap stuff but I've already got real fancy metal on the M3 (BBS e88s) so I may go cheap and easy this time. The wagon is a DD and Austin roads are sketchy in places. Would be nice to have a cheap, sexy wheel that could hold some nice rubber and rotate as well as carry a full spare. I am working on a setup to accomplish all this, stay tuned!

I am waiting on one more package (bolts from ECS lol) and It's go time again on the suspension.
    -rear control arms
    -rear ball joints
    -m5/touring subframe powerflex
    -m5 torsion bars

Hopefully getting close, though with the spaced out style 65s and future 19" poonmagnets, I AM going to need camber adjustment. I am also not happy with the spring rates on the Dinan springs (way too soft for my taste, great for an otherwise stock car, let me know if you need the springs or konis!). That is boxing me into a coilover front suspension. Been talking with a few options. Megan has agreed to sell me 2 fronts for a good price. I know some will bash the Thai quality but IDGAF. I have a buddy running them on an e46m3 and they are great for DD duty.

Last, one of my style 65s had a bend remaining from repair, is being fixed now, hoping that was 1/2 the crappy feel there. Running on the spare has been an improvement, can't believe I didnt do that before my trip to Houston last week, doh!
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 06-29-2016 at 06:03 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Awwww, getting rid of the style 65's? They look so good though! And 19's look kinda goofy on an E39 in my opinion, they're way too big. Plus you lose a lot of ride comfort by going up to 19", but I guess you don't care too much about that. I've been spoiled by the S-Class I owned for a while, I can't have a rough ride anymore.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Awwww, getting rid of the style 65's? They look so good though! And 19's look kinda goofy on an E39 in my opinion, they're way too big. Plus you lose a lot of ride comfort by going up to 19", but I guess you don't care too much about that. I've been spoiled by the S-Class I owned for a while, I can't have a rough ride anymore.
    Yeah they look great, just not exactly what I want right now, thanks for the kudos.

I dont think 19's look goofy unless they are super wide with a lot of stretch, looks are always subjective though. I had a good convo with Redshift about his 19" set up and he really likes it, comfotable and sporty, hell he has 500whp on tap. He has 19x9.5 square on 275/30 AS3, mine will be near identical, just slight (few mm) differences on offsets.

That shyte ride quality comes from crappy tires and improper sizing. I will of course stick to Michelins, probably AS3s again as they outperform most all summer tires and can handle light snow/cold temps, just incase Texas gets some or we ever travel in the wagon.

My Cars
    E39 540IT
    Mega jealous of that brake setup - Can't wait to see it fitted.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    You get the M5 subframe bars I sent you?

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    You get the M5 subframe bars I sent you?
    Sure did! They came in yesterday, I meant to PM you today at some point to say thanks. Really apprecaite it!

Quote Originally Posted by jayt22 View Post
    Mega jealous of that brake setup - Can't wait to see it fitted.
    AHHHH I KNOW! Everything should be going on next week.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Good stuff!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast