Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: RSBblackM3's 2001 540iT sport build

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi RSB,

Here's fellow member GearGrinder's full and detailed thread about installing this Basser E39 Touring subwoofer enclosure;

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ring+subwoofer

It's bit of a faff to install but once done, seems to be a good solution.

Cheers, Dennis!
    Wow, I had not seen this before, you are the man, man! Thank you and GG for saving me some stress! Slightly bummed it doesnt just plug and play but I still think its better than going full custom.

- - - Updated - - -

I got a bit impatient today and began as soon as I got home from work. Its 99% done, just got the wrong screws at HD so I can't attach the speaker grill. The N6 and this sub sounds pretty impressive.

I did not have the issues that GG did. I was able to wedge the box in with minimal rearrangement behind it. I may take a look at shaving the box a bit like he did but as of right now everything seems good.

Done!

Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 05-03-2016 at 09:15 PM.

2001 540it Black/Black --- 2006 M3 Competition Pkg Black/Black
    **FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Updated current mods list on Post 1, looking back at the list, this was quite a bit to accomplish in less than 2 months of ownership. I'm picky about my cars and would rather spend a grip upfront and have it nice than be slowly building it up. Its in a great place right now and really just needs attention to the roof paint, exhaust welded up and I'd like to get chipped by DUDMD, already talking to him about options.
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 05-19-2016 at 10:37 PM.

**FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

My Cars
    2 Boosted,1 more left to
    How much cubes is that box?

E39 LSX SWAP PARTS FORSALE

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by 1NAWTY5 View Post
    How much cubes is that box?
    Post #47 has a link

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Well, I ordered an M5 steering box, center tie rod, and HIGH GM yesterday.

In reading the reviews of this upgrade, this is exactly what my car needs! I am super exicited to drive it with a tighter ratio and some assist at slow speeds will be nice. I may also add eibach sway bars while I'm at it. I think it might really round it all out.

Lastly, I also got a lead on a set of M5 brakes locally for a very low price, should be picking them up this week as well!

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Nice, so you're turning this wagon into more of an M5-style wagon haha. Any plans to eventually do an S62 swap and seal the deal?
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT

RSBblackM3's 2001 540iT sport build

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Nice, so you're turning this wagon into more of an M5-style wagon haha. Any plans to eventually do an S62 swap and seal the deal?
    Actually, I'm hoping to find a totalled M5 near the end of the year to do just that! Was not the initial plan with this thing but the more I drive it the more performance I want!
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 05-16-2016 at 09:08 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    a bit late on the upgrades you have done nice job and nice doing it as fast as you can...have to chime in on the wheels nice upgrade adding the ones you did over the black ones you took off...one of the best moves made as I personally hate the look of those crappy black wheels you removed...literally hate them...100% increase over the appearance of your wagon with those POS wheels gone! Excellent looking E 39....and has to be one hell of a fun ride...

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Hey man, thanks a bunch, I hated them too! Wrong size, color, and tires, they had 0 going for em!

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Curious if you would be willing to give an approximate price on the parts cost for the front suspension...understand 100% if this is asking too much...

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I'm jealous of how quickly you were able to find good used style 65's... I've been looking locally but I can't seem to find any style 65's for sale whatsoever. I hate my chrome wheels so much that I'm seriously considering plastidipping them just to get rid of the nasty chrome.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRSUVS View Post
    Curious if you would be willing to give an approximate price on the parts cost for the front suspension...understand 100% if this is asking too much...
    I would estimate around 800 for everything.

I'm jealous of how quickly you were able to find good used style 65's... I've been looking locally but I can't seem to find any style 65's for sale whatsoever. I hate my chrome wheels so much that I'm seriously considering plastidipping them just to get rid of the nasty chrome.
    I found a nasty set and had them re-done to "like new". I suggest you do the same with your chrome set. Refinishing the wheels cost $600 and was done by a local place that also services BMW of Austin.

Update:

Fixed driver's side window regulator yesterday!

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by RSBBlackM3 View Post
    I found a nasty set and had them re-done to "like new". I suggest you do the same with your chrome set. Refinishing the wheels cost $600 and was done by a local place that also services BMW of Austin.
    I need to find a nasty set to refinish then. I can't refinish my chrome wheels, because removing chrome requires a very expensive special process, and chroming more or less ruins the surface of the wheel permanently so it's generally not advisable to refinish chrome wheels in anything other than chrome.

The trouble is that I can't even find a nasty set... for whatever reason Arizona is a total dead zone for anything M5-related. I guess I'll have to hunt for some wheels out of state.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    I need to find a nasty set to refinish then. I can't refinish my chrome wheels, because removing chrome requires a very expensive special process, and chroming more or less ruins the surface of the wheel permanently so it's generally not advisable to refinish chrome wheels in anything other than chrome.

The trouble is that I can't even find a nasty set... for whatever reason Arizona is a total dead zone for anything M5-related. I guess I'll have to hunt for some wheels out of state.
    Interesting, and unfortunate, didnt know that about chrome, did you get a second opinion on that?

I just bought my supersprint mufflers from Phoenix so good news, the M5 droubt isn't true, infact I just texted the seller asking if he knew anyone with a set and he said he knows of a square set for sale (like mine), he hasn't responded back yet but if he gives me the info I will PM you, deal?

ALSO: search craiglist nationally, ship with greyhound, its the cheapest and best way to ship wheels if you find some for a steal a few states over. I shipped 2 bumpers to FL for 60each and I got my 2 supersprint M5 mufflers for 45 shipped from AZ.
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 05-31-2016 at 08:33 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by RSBBlackM3 View Post
    Interesting, and unfortunate, didnt know that about chrome, did you get a second opinion on that?

I just bought my supersprint mufflers from Phoenix so good news, the M5 droubt isn't true, infact I just texted the seller asking if he knew anyone with a set and he said he knows of a square set for sale (like mine), he hasn't responded back yet but if he gives me the info I will PM you, deal?

ALSO: search craiglist nationally, ship with greyhound, its the cheapest and best way to ship wheels if you find some for a steal a few states over. I shipped 2 bumpers to FL for 60each and I got my 2 supersprint M5 mufflers for 45 shipped from AZ.
    Good idea! And yeah, let me know if you hear back regarding the wheels. I guess a lot of them are for sale secretly haha. What's the advantage to a square set, the ability to rotate the wheels? Does it help/hurt the handling?

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Good idea! And yeah, let me know if you hear back regarding the wheels. I guess a lot of them are for sale secretly haha. What's the advantage to a square set, the ability to rotate the wheels? Does it help/hurt the handling?
    Rotations, handleing, asthetics (subjective) all improve IMO. Downside is tire cost and some times the car tries to follow grooves in the road due to big grip up front but its ok (tramline). Also your turn radius goes up a tad.

- - - Updated - - -

New muffs waiting in the wings! They get polished to new tonight!!!

Took a few pics of the restoration process on my mufflers. Its a Supersprint M5 Mangum setup, quiet but authoritative on the M5, should be great on my 540. The plan is to install the left side initially, probably next week. Then save up and eventually get the right side of the floorpan modded and install the right muffler with an M5 x pipe. I will be happy with the left side for now. The OEM round tip looks awful in my m-technic bumper.

I absolutely love Supersprint stuff. Its better than OEM quality, sounds great, looks great, and holds its value if you get em used!

Next wave of mods: M5 steering box, eibach sway bar, SS muffler, oem center tie rod (left this out like an idiot!)

Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 06-02-2016 at 09:42 AM.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT

PM'ing you some contact info for a square setup in AZ for sale.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Exhaust teaser, should have a vid/sound clip this weekend!

My Cars
    E39 540IT
    RSBBlackM3 - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after fitting the M5 Steering Box and new center tie rod - Bet it sounds wonderful with the Supersprint fitted , 100% agree with you that the Supersprint stuff is top quality.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    jayt22 - I will post up a good review after some miles happen on the new setup. Im throwing a wagon load (ha) of stuff on it at once, rear 18mm sway, m5 trans mounts and m5 motor mounts, mid tie rod, m5 box, plus exhaust...should totally transform things!

I will also be goofing around with the servotronic settings after its all up and running. Looks like GearGrinder had some better maps to try out, should be cool! Starting with the 01 map he suggested from the factory options.

As another teaser, I will be making a massive upgrade to my brakes in the not-so-distant future, stay tuned.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Just an FYI. If you want to convert to M5 brakes, all you need is the calipers, brackets and rotors. Neither the front or rear dust shields will work nor will the M5 parking brake shoes on an E39 touring. However, the OD of all E39 parking brake shoes are the same so your stock stuff will work with the M5 rotors. And you will have to trim the dust shield lips.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Just an FYI. If you want to convert to M5 brakes, all you need is the calipers, brackets and rotors. Neither the front or rear dust shields will work nor will the M5 parking brake shoes on an E39 touring. However, the OD of all E39 parking brake shoes are the same so your stock stuff will work with the M5 rotors. And you will have to trim the dust shield lips.
    I apprecaite the post but I am looking away from M5 brakes. I got a set of m5 calipers but I found something far superior. No more deets till the deal is done!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    No problem. Just wish I had known before I bought used shields and parking brake hardware. Looking forward to seeing what you are going with.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Well, car is back on the roads and my initial reaction is that everything was pretty worth it. Here is a mini review with about 12 city miles on it thus far.

M5 steering box: Ratio is way faster. I am hitting the limiter (and rubbing due to the 275s) while parking everywhere, it just turns so unexpectedly fast to me right now but I will get used to it. Perhaps a bit more spacer can fix that as well...Will test that.

On road it feels really nice. The M5 box I got supposedly has 53k on it and the steering feels tighter, the dead spot is basically gone at 12 o'clock which is amazing though some of this is due to the center tie rod. I think for the cost and effort the steering ratio so far is a really good mod. I threw it around a few corners and there is much less effort required with the wheel. Pretty nice! The power assist is cool too, the steering is still way heavier than my e46 m3, to be frank I would prefer it were lighter on the e39 but I will mess with some more maps and see what happens. I started with the 01 map, now have 03 and its pretty good, may go with more assist next week to just play around.

I also did M5 motor mounts and tranny mounts, so far so good on those. Everything in the driveling feels tighter when I step on it, downshifts are a bit snappier.

All that with the center tie rod really fixed up my front end suspension, I also re-aligned it with more camber in the front so that helps too. Because race wagon, right?

I can feel a good difference already in the rear too with the addition of the eibach 18mm sway bar, when I chucked it into the subdivision on the way home the back felt much more planted and flat. Its a big upgrade over the 15mm. Anyone need that one?

The back still needs upper control arms and the ball joint done...so that's next and hopefully the suspension is done! I did order a set of powerflex subframe bushings from the UK as I found them at a steal price for all 4, they aren't here yet so I am not sure if this is going to work out or not. IF they send me 2 instead (likely), I have to option to get 2 M5 bushings instead and that will allow me to add the M under body braces, which I think are neat pieces.

I also just added a new chain tensioner which has massively reduced/eliminated my start up clatter which is relieving as I know the vanos has a similar symptom. I am not convinced my vanos is recently redone either but I feel good about this progress.

Lastly, pics of the exhaust:

Supersprint m5 mangum exuaust (street). Review: Its very quiet, very very quiet, I had not anticipated that it would be that muffled but I would guess the exhaust is perhaps 2% louder than my scubas. I think this means that when the other side goes on I will either run an X pipe or add a small resonator in place of the Y. I like the idea of dropping that weight anyway...again because race wagon.

Thats it for now, enjoy.
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 06-12-2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: left out a buncha important stuff

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Sweet pic from Cars and Coffee this morning:

I drove about 50 miles today and I am really happy with the suspension progression to now. It feels really good, almost like its a new car again. Today was a good mix of highway and hit some hill country curves too going to C&C, it is confidence instilling now and I look forward to finding its new limits.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast