Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: RSBblackM3's 2001 540iT sport build

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT

RSBblackM3's 2001 540iT sport build

Hello all,

I have been lurking for quite some time now and finally secured a nice 2001 540iT sport pkg that already had M bumpers and mirrors as well as 19" rep M5 wheels. Car came from California and was pretty darn clean, there were some initial quirks that I am working on working out but all in all, I am happy with it.

2001 540iT Mods List:

Suspension:
    Koni Yellow adjustable shocks
    Dinan Sport springs (front)
    Powerflex Black (Race) m5 front/touring rear subframe bushings with M5 torsion bars
    New OEM front upper mounts
    New OEM tie rods
    New OEM center tie rod
    New OEM end links
    New OEM swaybar bushings
    New OEM control arms
    New OEM rear shock mounts
    New OEM rear control arms
    New OEM rear ball joints
    SLS lowered 1” – electronically reprogrammed
    E39 M5 Steering box with servotronic
    Eibach 18mm rear sway bar
    Wiechers front strut bar - whenever it arrives from Germany...

Exterior:
    M Technic front bumper
    M Technic rear bumper
    OEM M5 mirrors
    New replica European headlight lenses
    Replaced headlight adjusters with reinforced resin/metal
    New OEM roundels
    Euro Red/clear tails

Electronics:
    Dynavin N6
    Backup camera
    Alpine MRP 500 mono amp
    Alpine SWT 10S2 sub
    Basser e39 touring sub box
    USB plug integrated into OE trim

Interior:
    E46 M3 steering wheel
    Technical Graphite trim
    OEM sport leather interior
    Aftermarket cup holders

Wheels/tires:
    4 ESM 004R 19x9.5 square
    4 275/30/19 Michelin A/S 3+
    +10mm spacer (front)

Performance:
    Supersprint Mangum M5 muffler (left side)
    Y resonator deleted
    Brembo Porsche 18z front calipers on e92 m3 rotors 360x32 with custom (Stuck) brackets
    Brembo Porsche 911 rear calipers on e46 m3 rotors 325x28 with rally road brackets

ETK Data
    VIN: xxxxxxxxxxGN91950
    Type code: DR63
    Model: 540I TOURING (USA)
    E-F-R series: E39 2
    Series: 5
    Type: TOUR
    Steering: LL
    Doors: 5
    Engine: M62/TU
    Displacement: 4.40
    Power: 210 (285 hp)
    Drive: HECK
    Transmission: AUT
    Paint code: 668 - SCHWARZ 2
    Upholstery code: N6SW - STANDARDLEDER/SC
    Prod.date: 2001-07-03

S202 Steptronic
    S204 Drive layout, export
    S210 Dynamic stability control III
    S220 Self-levelling suspension
    S227 Sport susp.+low-slung+ride-height ctrl.
    S249 Multifunction f steering wheel
    S302 Alarm system
    S319 Integrated universal remote control
    S354 Green windscreen, green shade band
    S363 BMW light alloy wheel, radial spoke 32
    S386 Roof railing
    S403 Glass roof, electrical
    S431 Interior rear-view mirror with auto dip
    S438 Fine wood trim
    S441 Smoker package
    S459 El. front seat adjustment w. memory
    S473 Armrest front
    S481 Sports seat
    S494 Seat heating driver/passenger
    S500 Headl.washer system/intensive cleaning
    S520 Fog lights
    S521 Rain sensor
    S522 Xenon Light
    S534 Automatic air conditioning
    S555 On-board computer V with remote control
    S640 Preparation f tel.installation universal
    S645 BMW US Radio
    S650 CD player
    S661 Radio BMW Business (C43)
    S676 HiFi speaker system
    S694 Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
    S710 M sports steering wheel, multifunction
    S760 High gloss shadow line
    S785 White direction indicator lights
    S818 Battery master switch
    S845 Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder
    S850 Additional Export tank filling
    S853 Language version, English
    S876 Radio frequency 315 MHz
    S925 Dispatch protection pack
    S992 Control of number-plate attachment

Some background on me, I am a huge BMW fan. I have owned 5 total now and my pride an joy is my 2006 M3 competition package that I have built up from bone stock over the last 4 years or so.

Build thread on the M3: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=499190

OK, now to the wagon:

I received the car at 9pm on Saturday 3/5 from the auto shipper, it was late so I just admired it over a few beers and started game planning for the following day:

I had a few ECS boxes waiting in anticipation!

Step 1, delete eyebrows, replace headlight lenses with euro, go back to OEM angel eye bulbs, delete blue turn singals, go back to oem chrome grills. I don't want to post a before pic...:

Limo tinted black blob. I already replaced the smoked side markers with clears.

They're like cousins!

Bake on 200 for 10 min then peel and eat.

Resealed, let cure a bit

I actually hate tint on black cars and most cars in general and the wagon's tint is probably too dark to pass inspection and is purple. If this is too hot I will explore some of the clear tints that block heat as well as the dark stuff. I like clear windows. I like how it matches the M3 now.

Film removed, some glue residue remains but I have 3m adhesive remover that will melt it away. I used a household steamer to do the tint and it worked great. Took about 1hr total to get all films off, with some breaks.

Test fit, lookin' waaaaay better!

In!

Family of black cars...:screwy::screwy:

Back to OEM euro look and clean, so timeless, I just love this car already! I haven't driven it much yet, waiting on front brake parts. They are completely fried.

Will post more soon, what do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Photo update with the real camera. Upper coolant line blew on the way home but somehow, O'Reily's had the part so I was up in running in 2 hrs. No damage seems to have happened, just took it on a 5mi drive, no issues. Enjoy!

Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 08-01-2016 at 01:05 PM.

My Cars
    1999 528iT
    I for one, share your love for clear windows and despise tint. edit: almost forgot, great car.
    Last edited by Clark Grizwald; 03-16-2016 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Ordered aftermarket headlight adjusters today for both sides and oh, I got these mounted!!! I have about 15 miles on them so far and they feel much better than the mismatched, undersized set on previously. This is 275/35 18 Michelin A/S 3 on 9.5 square M5 wheels + 3mm spacer on the front. I finally peeled myself out of the driveway to make this post. I am really happy with them, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Grizwald View Post
    I for one, share your love for clear windows and despise tint. edit: almost forgot, great car.
    Thanks! Fishbowl for life!

If Texas summer really starts to take its toll I will probably experiment with some of the clear films that block heat and UV rays just as well, if not better than the dark stuff.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    RSB, Welcome. The touring is definitely going in the right direction. Not a fan of the murder out look.
    Appears to be in good hands.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Nice!! Looks great in it's current form.

I have mixed emotions about it. Normally, I prefer no tint. Like with my M5 and my E38. But then my wagon is kind of the dark and sinister beast so I think it works well. Same with my E63 AMG. I was going to remove it when I bought it from FL but when it showed up, I loved it. Even more so since I did al the trim, grill and headlights in gunmetal.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi RSB,

Looks like you have some good plans for the car and look forward to seeing updates !

I've always liked 'light' to 'mid smoke' tints but I've never actually got around to getting some applied to any of my cars ! I'm one of those who hates glare and I drive everywhere with my sunvisors in the 'in use' position and I wear polarized sunglasses alot ! My Touring has clear anti smash film all round which I think the Police specify for their cars, so it costs double for any tint places as they have to remove it all first !

Are you keeping the style 65 19" reps? it's that I've had a customer message me a few times over the years asking if I see a set for sale that he'd want them - if you are keeping, then no problem at all !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i

Great transformation! Love the way it looks.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    The 65s make it look much better. Love the car. Congrats.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    RSB, Welcome. The touring is definitely going in the right direction. Not a fan of the murder out look.
    Appears to be in good hands.
    Thank you kindly!

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Nice!! Looks great in it's current form.

I have mixed emotions about it. Normally, I prefer no tint. Like with my M5 and my E38. But then my wagon is kind of the dark and sinister beast so I think it works well. Same with my E63 AMG. I was going to remove it when I bought it from FL but when it showed up, I loved it. Even more so since I did al the trim, grill and headlights in gunmetal.
    Much appreciated sir! I think a light tint would probably look good on mine, we will see how summer goes.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi RSB,

Looks like you have some good plans for the car and look forward to seeing updates !

I've always liked 'light' to 'mid smoke' tints but I've never actually got around to getting some applied to any of my cars ! I'm one of those who hates glare and I drive everywhere with my sunvisors in the 'in use' position and I wear polarized sunglasses alot ! My Touring has clear anti smash film all round which I think the Police specify for their cars, so it costs double for any tint places as they have to remove it all first !

Are you keeping the style 65 19" reps? it's that I've had a customer message me a few times over the years asking if I see a set for sale that he'd want them - if you are keeping, then no problem at all !

Cheers, Dennis!
    Thanks sir, updates will be coming fast and furious till shes up to my standards! Getting close though. I sent you a PM about the wheels, lets work something out!

Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    The 65s make it look much better. Love the car. Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlam View Post
    Great transformation! Love the way it looks.

Honored! Thank you both!

My Cars
    '02 540iT; '12 535xi;
    Excellent work so far and the car's looking great. One question: I have the exact same headlight lenses to put on - ready to bake and replace any day now...what did you use to reseal the new lenses once installed?
    Last edited by Jerinoid; 03-18-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: fixed
    Jerry Daily Driver: 2002 (e39) 540i Touring; Weekenders: 2014 Mustang GT/CS; Harley Dyna Wide Glide.
    Prior: 2012 (f10) 535i x-drive; 2006 (e60) 530xi 6mt; 1999 (e39) 528i 5mt; 1998 (e39) 528i 5mt.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerinoid View Post
    Excellent work so far and the car's looking great. One question: I have the exact same headlight lenses to put on - ready to bake and replace any day now...what did you use to reseal the new lenses once installed?
    Thanks!

I used clear silicone from autozone, its window glass sealant i believe.

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    Liking where this is headed. Subscribed.

Regarding the tint...if you like clear tint, not sure if there are any dealers in TX, but check out VK70 from VKool. When I was managing a BMW shop in Manila, we were a dealer for VKool and I found their VK70 quite impressive. Practically optically clear but blocked a large percentage of the heat, etc coming through the glass.
    Their demo display was also pretty cool too. Was a rotating glass cube with 2 halogen flood bulbs mounted in the center and each side of the cube tinted in different grades of tint with one side having no tint. When you stood in front of the no tint panel and turned on the display you could feel the immense amount of radiant heat coming off of the halogen flood bulbs. If you rotated the cube the next pane over to the VK70 tint, you could feel a HUGE drop in the heat coming through the glass even though the panel looked practically clear. Quite impressive. I actually prefer no tint on some of my cars, and I am planning on using the VK70 on all the windows (windshield as well) of my E36. Problem is...I can't seem to find a VKool Dealer here in MD...
    One other "problem" with the VK70 is that it also blocks RFID signals so running it on the front windshield poses a problem with things like EZ-Pass...
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Thanks for the heads up on VKool. I was checking out another brand recently that is a similar idea. I gotta say that e36 is absolutely amazing, I love it! And thanks for the compliments. I am excited to see where this wagon goes. I am going to be doing the suspension this coming week after I sober up from SXSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Mpowered02 View Post
    Liking where this is headed. Subscribed.

Regarding the tint...if you like clear tint, not sure if there are any dealers in TX, but check out VK70 from VKool. When I was managing a BMW shop in Manila, we were a dealer for VKool and I found their VK70 quite impressive. Practically optically clear but blocked a large percentage of the heat, etc coming through the glass.
    Their demo display was also pretty cool too. Was a rotating glass cube with 2 halogen flood bulbs mounted in the center and each side of the cube tinted in different grades of tint with one side having no tint. When you stood in front of the no tint panel and turned on the display you could feel the immense amount of radiant heat coming off of the halogen flood bulbs. If you rotated the cube the next pane over to the VK70 tint, you could feel a HUGE drop in the heat coming through the glass even though the panel looked practically clear. Quite impressive. I actually prefer no tint on some of my cars, and I am planning on using the VK70 on all the windows (windshield as well) of my E36. Problem is...I can't seem to find a VKool Dealer here in MD...
    One other "problem" with the VK70 is that it also blocks RFID signals so running it on the front windshield poses a problem with things like EZ-Pass...

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by RSBBlackM3 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on VKool. I was checking out another brand recently that is a similar idea. I gotta say that e36 is absolutely amazing, I love it! And thanks for the compliments. I am excited to see where this wagon goes. I am going to be doing the suspension this coming week after I sober up from SXSW!
    Yeah, there are definitely other similar options out there in terms of clear tint. Which other one were you looking at? I think HuperOptik (sp?) makes something similar...but not sure. would like to have other options in case I can't find VKool locally at all...
    And thanks for the compliment on the E36! Unfortunately, she's currently in pretty bad shape. I left her with my brother for the 3 years I was in Manila, and the exposure to the elements, etc have not been kind. Needs a complete respray amongst other things just to get her back to her former glory... :-/

Anyway, good luck with the mods on the wagon...looking forward to it...
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iT
    Excellent work. I hate the "murdered out" look too. This looks so much more clean. Nice set of boxes in route too.
    1999 540iT: aFe Intake | M60 Intake | DUDMD Tune | Bavauto Springs | Bavsound Stage 1

2006 X5 3.0

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Ordered Meyle HD subframe bushings and a bushing tool. Praying to the BMW gods that this and the rear shocks clean things up. The wagon feels pretty sloppy at the moment! From what I am reading it really should.

This afternoon I put in a solid 30 minutes but fixed a few things bothering me.

The "bushings" that hold the oil filter canister were cracked so I replaced those. I didnt like the idea of it flopping around.

I found an OEM style 47mm steering wheel badge which is covering the residue from a carbon version the PO installed. 3.99 shipped seemed better than 100 something for a new airbag.

A few other notables:

I replaced all interior bulbs from, what we will call, "pepboys blue" back to OEM clear.

The reinforced headlight adjusters and Dynavin N6 arrived today in the mail so more updates to follow!
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 03-21-2016 at 11:32 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Awesome, looking forward to seeing more updates
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Almost done... excellent work. Once you are done, I will send the transporter over to bring the car back home to California. The Sunshine State thanks you

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Awesome, looking forward to seeing more updates
    I have a million boxes in my garage now so it shouldn't be too long!

Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Almost done... excellent work. Once you are done, I will send the transporter over to bring the car back home to California. The Sunshine State thanks you
    Oh gosh, I wish it was almost done! The suspension DIY is going to be starting soon, looking forward to feeling this thing hug the road versus wander all over it.

2001 540it Black/Black --- 2006 M3 Competition Pkg Black/Black
    **FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by RSBBlackM3 View Post
    Oh gosh, I wish it was almost done! The suspension DIY is going to be starting soon, looking forward to feeling this thing hug the road versus wander all over it.
    Not to worry good sir, we are pretty laid back in CA - until you touch our trees - we can wait for you to finish. No rush at all.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Not to worry good sir, we are pretty laid back in CA - until you touch our trees - we can wait for you to finish. No rush at all.
    Hahah, noted!

**FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I have yet to refresh my suspension. I'll be checking in on this thread. I'm glad the car found you. Sounds like it was in the hands of a guy who should be washing it more than driving it.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    US plate tub delete done! Man there was some nasty muck behind there. This looks a lot better IMO and should also provide a good spot for my backup camera, once that all goes in. This weekend I hope to accomplish a few things so stay tuned:

-Replace headlight adjusters
    -Replace OEM M5 bumper grill
    -Replace front fender liners with M5 bumper version
    -if time permits, install dynavin.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    RSB, Just went through the e46 M3 thread. Stunning, well done Sir.

Looking forward to your work on the touring. Very nice eye for detail.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Mini update:

This weekend I replaced the headlight adjusters with reinforced ones from ebay. Install was smooth and it worked, safe night driving at last! I also installed a new front grill. PO didnt really install the front bumper correctly so some customization was required to get the grill in and setting right, all good now though. I ordered aftermarket M5 fender liners as well, much cheaper than OEM ($55 shipped from Latvia) but quite brittle, they are better than OEM non M guards but I think I will eventually want to get the full M5 front plastics set up so that its all correct.

This week, possibly tonight, I will start on the Dynavin install. I want the unit in and ready to expand the backup cam and subwoofer set up for later on. Still waiting on the amp kit so that I can put it all in. I am going to wait untill I do the tailgate shocks to install the backup cam since I will have all of that apart and the wireing should be pretty simple at that point.

Next 4 weeks for me are insane with work and life but the suspension work will start next Monday regardless, I'm dying here. I can't wait to feel how it rides with a suspension refresh. I am really starting to love this car but I need that done and a good alignment before many more miles happen so that my new Michelins don't prematurely expire. Updates to follow there!

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast