Thread: FYI for those who use Imgur

My Cars
    1996 740iL

FYI for those who use Imgur

Bimmerforums has been blocked by Imgur from using their site for hotlinking due to a violation of their TOS. Had nothing to do with members on this sub-forum but it doesn't matter. The entire forum is blocked and that may not change. Any photos hosted by Imgur no longer appear on the forum.

My Cars
    99 740iL
    Wow, that's going to kill a lot of tutorials and technical posts.

EDIT: looks like it killed my signature lol
    Last edited by quakefiend420; 02-15-2016 at 03:47 PM.

'99 740iL - Style 95s, 740i Sport front springs, Bilstein yellows, 01 taillights, Zionsville aluminium radiator w/ 2 speed e-fan, StealthOne/ValentineOne, MKIV Nav and 16:9 display, Inifinity Basslink w/remote gain control, factory Bluetooth, Chromeline interior, xboss Homelink/armrest panels, wood grab handles, Sport steering wheel, various 750 wood bits, LED interior lighting, black Alcantara headliner/rear deck/A/B/C pillars, Euro armrest, and other stuff I've probably forgotten about...

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Yep, killed all my posts

Thanks for figuring out what was going on Chuck.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I've been using Flickr for most of my image embedding needs, and it's served me pretty well. At the very least Flickr has been around forever, so it's not going anywhere. It's not as quick and simple as other sites, but it's always been reliable for me.

For tutorials I would suggest uploading images to the forum itself, so that they don't break when stuff like this happens.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1998 750iL Individual
    Good thing I've been saving stuff on my HDD. First Photobucket, now Imgur.
    Own an E38? Add it to the E38 Registry!

http://www.e38registry.org/

My Cars
    2001 E39 530i
    Ah that's what happened! Hope it can be fixed.

Out of interest how can an image hosting site block for hotlinking? Isn't that sorta their purpose - to host I images for linking to???

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    It's not broken, there was a violation of their TOS. Photobucket had some site issues but has not blocked us.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The problem I have with photos uploaded to Photobucket is...when I'm at work...that site is blocked...apparently something uploaded to that site has content that is not work safe. It took a moment for me to figure out what was going on...I would be reading posts that mentions an image or something in the image...and I couldn't see anything but text. When I click the post to quote...I could see the URL tag to photobucket. Unfortunately...I didn't get a warning when the image was embeded in the post...it's only when I went the extra step to copy & paste the link that I discovered that the issue was my work's server and the photobucket website.

And to add to the list of photo upload sites that either went belly-up or changed their way of doing business and screwed uploaders like myself:
    • CarDomain.com
    • Imagestation.com
    • ImageShack.com
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    I have a feeling this will happen more and more. Imgur has grown dramatically lately and since they opened up their free accounts people have gone nuts hosting through the sits... just like Imageshack, demand is outstripping supply and they're going to start blacklisting and diabling hotlinking and direct linking etc, nature of the beast. Real sad because I've been using imgur for many years.

Curious as to what the ToS violation was, hard to imagine a site like this causing them any trouble.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCi View Post
    Good thing I've been saving stuff on my HDD. First Photobucket, now Imgur.
    I have been using Photobucket since 2005, I think, never had a problem that I can remember.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    E38 E36
    What I find most interesting about this development is that it demonstrates how fragile cached electronic information is; one day its here and the next day its gone - possibly forever. Think of it as a digital Fahrenheit 451...
    "Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 3:15 open differential with an M5 sway-bar outback, a 4.4 liter V-8 with Bosch sequential fuel injection, four cams, 32 valves, VANOS units using Beisan Systems seals, 10 to 1 pistons, a conservative 282 macht schnell horsepower, all planted to the earth with AC Schnitzer Type II Racing Wheels and Michelin PS2s at all four corners, an M5 rear sway-bar outback, and a Strong-Strut tower brace up front. We're talkin' some Deutschland muscle."

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    I have a feeling this will happen more and more. Imgur has grown dramatically lately and since they opened up their free accounts people have gone nuts hosting through the sits... just like Imageshack, demand is outstripping supply and they're going to start blacklisting and diabling hotlinking and direct linking etc, nature of the beast. Real sad because I've been using imgur for many years.

Curious as to what the ToS violation was, hard to imagine a site like this causing them any trouble.
    Have you ever visited the OT forum?

They have blocked other forums with a message similar to this:

This forum has been blocked from hotlinking due to abuse of the Imgur tos, which prohibit using Imgur as a content delivery network. That means that website elements such as buttons, banners, avatars, frames, image libraries, etc. cannot be hosted on Imgur. While we welcome users to share Imgur content with forums, we found that they were in violation of the ToS by Imgur as a CDN, resulting in the block.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Flickr ftw!

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Yeah, I use flickr also. So far so good.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I have been using Flickr for 10 years. Nothing beats it.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by quakefiend420 View Post
    Wow, that's going to kill a lot of tutorials and technical posts.

EDIT: looks like it killed my signature lol
    Any tutorial or DIY images that were broken as a result and can be saved can me emailed to me and I will upload/host them.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2001 750iL Sport
    Deleted. Saw imgur. Thought photobucket.
    Last edited by board57796; 02-28-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Buck - 2001 750iL
    3.15 Sport Rear Differential - M-Sport Steering Wheel - Bi-Xenon Headlights
    B&G Lowering Springs - M-Sport Seats - 15mm Spacers - Muffler Delete

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport, '13 Volt
    Imgur, photobucket and Flickr are all blocked for me at work, so...