Thread: Bought a car with a used cluster

My Cars
    335i

Bought a car with a used cluster

Hi guys,

I've bought a very cheap e46 330ci with a faulty gearbox which I refurbished and the car is running very nicely now. Unfortunately I noticed that the tamper dot is on and the gear display doesn't work. During my investigations I've noticed a difference in the VIN of the Kombi and the LSZ and can see that the Kombi has come from a 2001 US 330ci (my car is in the UK).

I would like to restore the car back to the correct mileage and correct VIN in the hope to remove the tamper dot and hopefully allow the gear display to work. I don't mind purchasing a new cluster/M35080 programmer and chip. I have read that the best way is to virginize the mileage of the m35080 and use the LSZ to produce the mileage. However I have also noticed my car has the following error:

191 Kombi46-eeprom coding missing

So I would prefer to maybe get a kombi from a similar aged m54 auto, dump the m35080 chip data, change the VIN and clear the mileage date using a programmer and then install for it to read the LSZ mileage.

Finally, without getting PA Soft, am I able to read the LSZ mileage? I have all the other tools such as INPA, NCS Expert etc.

Thanks in advance

Idnan

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    M35080's have incremental registers, which means there's an area which is designed to count up, but can't be reset or erased to count down.

The M35080 programmers have a way of erasing the chip, it's sort of like a hack or a glitch to do it, but they'll be able to do it.

Plan of attack would be get a programmer for it, undoler and erase the chip, and then track down a suitable stock file.
    Change the mileage and VIN in the file, load it into the chip and put the chip back, and then recode it.

I'm not sure if INPA can read the LSZ mileage, it might be able to, or with tool32.

Alternatively, a dash clocker would probably have the know-how to do it all.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    335i
    Quote Originally Posted by enda320 View Post
    M35080's have incremental registers, which means there's an area which is designed to count up, but can't be reset or erased to count down.

The M35080 programmers have a way of erasing the chip, it's sort of like a hack or a glitch to do it, but they'll be able to do it.

Plan of attack would be get a programmer for it, undoler and erase the chip, and then track down a suitable stock file.
    Change the mileage and VIN in the file, load it into the chip and put the chip back, and then recode it.

I'm not sure if INPA can read the LSZ mileage, it might be able to, or with tool32.

Alternatively, a dash clocker would probably have the know-how to do it all.
    Yep sounds good, but think I'm just going to go for a used cluster to use as I've heard there is quite a lot of different coding depending on the type of cluster. Plus for some reason my cluster is showing up as manual in INPA? Even though it looks exactly like an auto cluster and using a VIN decoder, that vin points to an Auto car it came off.

I actually emailed you when I first got the car, thinking it was just something simple but looking into it further it just isnt!

Ordered a cheap PA Soft scanner so will just read the LSZ mileage and go from there. A used cluster from eBay is £30 so will just get one and do all the work on that instead. Will buy the M35080 programmer as well and go from there. Will probably just get the stock file off the 'new' cluster and change the vin and reprogram the m35080.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    Yea, if the new cluster is OK, then all the data in that can be changed to suit your car.
    It might be possible to sort out the "eeprom coding" error by recoding it with NCS expert. Worth a shot but I think the error comes up if the eeprom is screwed up, and not just something simple like having coding settings for something else.

PA Soft might come up with an option to change the mileage, but you might find every time you try to alter it, it gets higher!

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    The physical cluster was the same for all different versions of e46. It was only the coding that determined if the car was auto or manual, etc.

Everything else can easily be changed using ncs expert, or bmw scanner. The only thing that is special is the mileage reading. If you can fix the mileage the rest will be easy to correct.
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    72 2002tii, 87 300 SDL, 91 M5, 95 M3 LTW
    Quote Originally Posted by legoman67 View Post
    The physical cluster was the same for all different versions of e46. It was only the coding that determined if the car was auto or manual, etc.

Everything else can easily be changed using ncs expert, or bmw scanner. The only thing that is special is the mileage reading. If you can fix the mileage the rest will be easy to correct.
    Not exactly. The autos had an additional display. Both can be used, but you will need the LCD from an auto to put into a manual cluster....
    WANTED: 18" BBS RCj's