Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M3 for my second car

My Cars
    None

M3 for my second car

Hey guys I'm not to this forum site but need some opinions on getting an M3.

First let me give u some background
    I received a 2014 Honda Accord coupe ex-l v6 for my first car, it was more them choosing the car over me that time, it was extremely safe which my parents liked and it also had more power from the v6 (vs v4) which I really liked
    June of 2015 I totaled that car, it wasn't completely my fault I wasn't thinking it through I was pulling out of a gas station turning left onto a four lane highway that was really busy someone waved me through the other directing was clear and I pulled out and got smacked before I even crossed the middle

It was obviously my fault so that wasn't good

But anyways I feel and so do my parents that I am a really good driver above the level of many kids my age, I do tons of rush hour traffic driving in the high way I'm good at not over correcting and just executing driving well, some of the things I've noticed as I've been driving. Now still I'm 17 I have very little experience and this is a fast nice car so I realize right way you might think we'll hold on. I think I can handle the power I have handled a 6.2 liter hemi charger hellcat with 707 horsepower and other nice and fast bmws my friends own. (Another reason you know I am a good driver, my friends trust me to drive their $40000 bmws)

Now the Model I'm looking at is the 2008 m3 also did some glancing at the 2003/2004 m3 because I think when it's in condition and it's modified right they look mean and fast. But the 2008 has some technology in it with newer looks so I think if I do get an m3 that's the one I will go after.

Before you say anything about money no I have not boughten these cars myself my parents paid for the first one and are going to pay for the second one. I know you may be thinking I'm a spoiled kid but I really am not I am extremely lucky to have parents that make what they do and are able to afford something like this. An m3 they were not okay (mostly just because it was a used BMW) with but I agreed to pay for all maintenance and gas and I have proved to them that I can have this with school and jobs and life. So I want an m3 cause they are sexy but beasts SO
    is it ok for me to get this as my second car?
    Let me know what you its are thinking anything u wanna say feel free would love some M3 enthusiasts to post their opinon.

If I get an M3 I wanna do it right so if getting an M3 now is not okay, I should wait, or wait till I can put money into it so I can get a nicer Or newer one, say something.

Thank you for reading and helping me out guys!!

(FYI I've never had a ticket or anything)

ALSO please do not call me out on bragging I'm not I'm just getting people's opinions

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    My 08 M3 averages 17 mpg. Premium gas only. Rear tires last about 12k miles and cost about $500 for the pair. An oil change takes 9 quarts of 10W60 synthetic at $10 per quart plus a $15 filter. Insurance for a 17 year old male to drive an M3 should be twice that for the Accord unless your parents lie and say they are the primary driver, in which case coverage may be denied if there is a major accident and the company investigates.

Fun car, though. Some recommend replacing the rod bearings as preventative maintenance. I did mine. It's a $2500 job. Others say don't worry but if a bearing fails another engine could be $15,000.

Maybe others have some suggestions, BMW or other, for $30,000 cars for 17 year old drivers.

My Cars
    nissan altima
    Why not consider a 335i? Itd be much cheaper on insurance, not to mention it has more than enough horsepower for the average person. Maintenance would be cheaper and it would be half the cost of an m3.

My Cars
    z3
    Get an E46 330i or an E92 328i for the time being, IMHO. Or an E36 M3 if you want something "fun"

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    An M3? RIP sweet prince.

My Cars
    N/A
    You should really make this thread in the "Off Topic" section of the forum... It sees a lot more activity and there are a bunch of members with non-Bmws that could provide more insight.

My Cars
    GTS, E30
    You shoulda gotten the V4 Accord.

My Cars
    None
    I'll repost this in there thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    My 08 M3 averages 17 mpg. Premium gas only. Rear tires last about 12k miles and cost about $500 for the pair. An oil change takes 9 quarts of 10W60 synthetic at $10 per quart plus a $15 filter. Insurance for a 17 year old male to drive an M3 should be twice that for the Accord unless your parents lie and say they are the primary driver, in which case coverage may be denied if there is a major accident and the company investigates.

Fun car, though. Some recommend replacing the rod bearings as preventative maintenance. I did mine. It's a $2500 job. Others say don't worry but if a bearing fails another engine could be $15,000.

Maybe others have some suggestions, BMW or other, for $30,000 cars for 17 year old drivers.
    Thank you for all that that really helps me see the maintenance costs and running costs, I'm going to repost in the off topic forum to get opinons from non BMW drivers too

My Cars
    and trucks
    Epic thread inbound when OP permanently disables 9 people in a DUI crash.

Are your parents from Jersey or the Middle East?
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    2008 Z4
    Are you suggesting a 17 yo in an M3 is a terrorist or a Jersey Shore reject?

Im not sure which is worse

My Cars
    05 330i
    Buying/owning an M3 at 17 is a really bad idea even if parents are paying for the car. Insurance is going to be wicked expensive, trust me I've looked at getting an M3 at 17 even an E46. Maintenance will keep you busy and broke on an M3. Try a regular 3 series or something for a little while till your no longer considered at risk as much for insurance. M cars are way more expensive to maintain than a regular 3 series. As others have said 08+ for an oil change is at least $100 and thats doing it on your own.

Insurance will easily be $2-3K a year and thats for an E46 M3. Then $80- 100 every oil change, tires for $1000, most things that can go wrong end up close to $1k.
    At 17 working part time and in school that's all your going to have is money going into the car.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    2013 128 M-Sport
    1. Look for one of the following (used) - 128, 135, 328, 335. Sport or M-Sport package is a plus, as would be a stick.
    2. Learn to drive the car to the limits of its capabilities. Since you live in NC, I imagine that the BMW Performance Center in SC offers driving schools.
    3. Enjoy that car.
    4. If, after a couple years of #3, you still want more, then consider an M.

My Cars
    14 ATS, 2001 Cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsX View Post
    Hey guys I'm not to this forum site but need some opinions on getting an M3.

First let me give u some background
    I received a 2014 Honda Accord coupe ex-l v6 for my first car, it was more them choosing the car over me that time, it was extremely safe which my parents liked and it also had more power from the v6 (vs v4) which I really liked
    June of 2015 I totaled that car, it wasn't completely my fault I wasn't thinking it through I was pulling out of a gas station turning left onto a four lane highway that was really busy someone waved me through the other directing was clear and I pulled out and got smacked before I even crossed the middle

It was obviously my fault so that wasn't good

But anyways I feel and so do my parents that I am a really good driver above the level of many kids my age, I do tons of rush hour traffic driving in the high way I'm good at not over correcting and just executing driving well, some of the things I've noticed as I've been driving. Now still I'm 17 I have very little experience and this is a fast nice car so I realize right way you might think we'll hold on. I think I can handle the power I have handled a 6.2 liter hemi charger hellcat with 707 horsepower and other nice and fast bmws my friends own. (Another reason you know I am a good driver, my friends trust me to drive their $40000 bmws)

Now the Model I'm looking at is the 2008 m3 also did some glancing at the 2003/2004 m3 because I think when it's in condition and it's modified right they look mean and fast. But the 2008 has some technology in it with newer looks so I think if I do get an m3 that's the one I will go after.

Before you say anything about money no I have not boughten these cars myself my parents paid for the first one and are going to pay for the second one. I know you may be thinking I'm a spoiled kid but I really am not I am extremely lucky to have parents that make what they do and are able to afford something like this. An m3 they were not okay (mostly just because it was a used BMW) with but I agreed to pay for all maintenance and gas and I have proved to them that I can have this with school and jobs and life. So I want an m3 cause they are sexy but beasts SO
    is it ok for me to get this as my second car?
    Let me know what you its are thinking anything u wanna say feel free would love some M3 enthusiasts to post their opinon.

If I get an M3 I wanna do it right so if getting an M3 now is not okay, I should wait, or wait till I can put money into it so I can get a nicer Or newer one, say something.

Thank you for reading and helping me out guys!!

(FYI I've never had a ticket or anything)

ALSO please do not call me out on bragging I'm not I'm just getting people's opinions

Things like the above show a lack of being able to take responsibility.....

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by ImScaryGrr View Post
    Things like the above show a lack of being able to take responsibility.....
    i admitted it was my fault but the other driver that waved me through saying it was clear that then took off after i was hit also has a roll in it, not a huge one but he had one, i feel as if u took a few words out of everything i said and focused on that, i could have just responded with "you just jelly as f**k so suck my a$s" but i didnt i explained what i meant to help you better understand me....dick, you say i cant take responsibility but you dont know me in real life the kind of person i am, i typed that in 5 minutes on my iphone real quick i didnt put a lot of thought into it or read over it multiple times to make sure it was perfectly worded, its a post bro

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Skwisgaar View Post
    An M3? RIP sweet prince.
    i will....i will...

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    I find the lack of grammar and punctuation pretty disturbing...
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    14 ATS, 2001 Cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsX View Post
    i admitted it was my fault but the other driver that waved me through saying it was clear that then took off after i was hit also has a roll in it, not a huge one but he had one, i feel as if u took a few words out of everything i said and focused on that, i could have just responded with "you just jelly as f**k so suck my a$s" but i didnt i explained what i meant to help you better understand me....dick, you say i cant take responsibility but you dont know me in real life the kind of person i am, i typed that in 5 minutes on my iphone real quick i didnt put a lot of thought into it or read over it multiple times to make sure it was perfectly worded, its a post bro

This proves an obvious lack of maturity

So ITT I proved a lack of maturity and responsibility. Still trying to figure out what i'm jealous of though....

My Cars
    04 330i zhp; 06 Cooper S
    There really should be a test required before you're allowed to have children. Any parent who allows, let alone pays for, their own flesh and blood teenager to drive a 400+ hp V8 should be indicted for criminal child endangerment. I'd sooner buy my kid a Glock than an E92 M3. OP will hurt someone with this car, maybe him/herself, maybe me or my teenager. Would sue.

OP, get a slow but fun car like an FRZ and go to driving school at the BMW CCA. Then have the parents donate the other $20k to a worthy charity of their or your choice. Everybody wins. When you grow up and have some skills, experience and judgment, then buy an M3.
    Last edited by maxell0405; 01-08-2016 at 11:11 AM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    If I were the OP's parents, which I am not, I would be encouraging him to get far better grades in school. I don't care if you typed that using Steve Job's decaying finger on your iphone, that's some really crappy English OP. I sincerely hope your parents are trying to teach you a lesson in letting you get an e9x M3 at your age, because the very thought that you could pay for maintenance and stay in school shows a clear naivety on your part. Even more so if you won't be performing the labour yourself. Not only that, no matter how responsible and good you think you are behind the wheel, there is no way that you are ready to handle a 400hp V8 on a daily basis. You simply lack the experience. It is negligent to allow a 17 year old to get behind the wheel of such a car; a high performance vehicle in your hands may as well be a weapon.

Save yourself the heartache and get a cheaper, slower, car and then spend a couple of bucks getting some advanced driving lessons. Stick the balance in an investment account and maybe you'll have some scratch for a deposit on a house when it's time for you to be a mature adult.

Come see boughten me bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post
    So like I was readin this thread you know? lol and this guy, like, an old guy, like way WAY over 25, he was all like "Speak like me!" like all srs and whatever and so I was like lol dude ur not my dad and he was all, like, pissy and stuff so I lol'd again and was like whatever and so then i took a pic of my lunch and posted it on facebook.

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    First of all welcome. You're a lucky kid to have parents willing to get you such an expensive and powerful car at your age. If your parents are already willing to get the car then it seems like a forgone conclusion that you're getting the car, it would take an exceptionally smart 17 year old to realize this is a bad idea. At 17 I would have been on board too. However, as many have already mentioned, this isn't a cheap car on insurance or maintenance. At your age I thought I could handle that car too, and often enough you will be able to until that one night you push too hard and you total the car, hurt yourself, or worse hurt someone else. I wish you luck and I hope you enjoy your car, but at some point I can't image that you don't come to the conclusion that this car is a bit much for your age.

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Ethan Couch can have M3 , OP can have M3.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Plot twist, OP is​ Ethan Couch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post
    So like I was readin this thread you know? lol and this guy, like, an old guy, like way WAY over 25, he was all like "Speak like me!" like all srs and whatever and so I was like lol dude ur not my dad and he was all, like, pissy and stuff so I lol'd again and was like whatever and so then i took a pic of my lunch and posted it on facebook.

My Cars
    05 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriabmw27 View Post
    First of all welcome. You're a lucky kid to have parents willing to get you such an expensive and powerful car at your age. If your parents are already willing to get the car then it seems like a forgone conclusion that you're getting the car, it would take an exceptionally smart 17 year old to realize this is a bad idea. At 17 I would have been on board too. However, as many have already mentioned, this isn't a cheap car on insurance or maintenance. At your age I thought I could handle that car too, and often enough you will be able to until that one night you push too hard and you total the car, hurt yourself, or worse hurt someone else. I wish you luck and I hope you enjoy your car, but at some point I can't image that you don't come to the conclusion that this car is a bit much for your age.
    As much as I want to disagree with you on this on it being a bad idea at 17 ( I am 17). I really want one but I 100% agree that is an extremely bad idea.
    You may be able to drive it fine but once you start getting cocky and pushing too hard since you are unexperienced there will be a time where it doesn't end well for you. If you don't believe us just search for teen with M3. This is what you will find https://youtu.be/MZVrnd9V7sk

I feel the same way as you, that I am a really good driver and that I can handle it but trust us we don't want you to get hurt or make a bad decison. So buy any other non-M BMW, like a 3 series 328 or 335i get a tune if it is an E90, throw some wheels and maybe M3 bumpers on it.
    Last edited by justinca540i; 01-09-2016 at 12:18 PM.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    98 328is
    This is probably the best advice to give right here. As good of a driver that you think you are, you're young and probably have a lot to learn. Hell I'm 26 and still learning new skills and techniques. You should 100% go the used route and buy something lower powered that would be easier to learn on then an M. Sure a 404 horsepower V8 sounds awesome, but it'll quickly start sounding worse when the first thing goes wrong and you're paying out the butt.

My advice, honestly is an E36 328Is. It was my first BMW, and that car taught me more in the 2 years I had it then any other car I've ever driven.

My Cars
    05 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSolo View Post
    This is probably the best advice to give right here. As good of a driver that you think you are, you're young and probably have a lot to learn. Hell I'm 26 and still learning new skills and techniques. You should 100% go the used route and buy something lower powered that would be easier to learn on then an M. Sure a 404 horsepower V8 sounds awesome, but it'll quickly start sounding worse when the first thing goes wrong and you're paying out the butt.

My advice, honestly is an E36 328Is. It was my first BMW, and that car taught me more in the 2 years I had it then any other car I've ever driven.
    An E36 would make a good first BMW for a teen. How well does your job pay? Brakes cost $1500 for rotor and pad replacement (parts alone), oil change $130 (oil + filter), Clutch + Flywheel are $2000 (parts only), Tires will be $1000/set expect to go through brakes and tires about every 9K miles. Oil changes at 7500 Miles.

Expect $3-4K repairs that could jump up unexpected like VANOS Failure. Expect about $120/hr an hour if you take it to a shop, chances are they are going to want more than a couple hours with it.

We are not trying to be jerks, we don't want to see you hurt or make a terrible decision.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast