Thread: 1 series brakes randomly by itself

My Cars
    Bmw 1series

1 series brakes randomly by itself

Please help! I've had my 116i manual since new from sept 2013. It's driven well until the last few weeks. It's been for its service back in November and all was ok but the last couple of weeks I had experienced the car braking on its own accord. I have to travel a fair journey to and from work and thought this would be reliable until now. It's quite nerving as its just does it randomly!! It's recently been recalled as it needs a new electric petrol pump. I'm only a young girl so not quite clued up on cars, any ideas would be great! Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Bimbles; 12-30-2015 at 07:54 PM.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Brakes randomly? Or loses power?
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    Bmw 1series
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimbles View Post
    Please help! I've had my 116i manual since new from sept 2013. It's driven well until the last few weeks. It's been for its service back in November and all was ok but the last couple of weeks I had experienced the car braking on its own accord. I have to travel a fair journey to and from work and thought this would be reliable until now. It's quite nerving as its just does it randomly!! It's recently been recalled as it needs a new electric petrol pump. I'm only a young girl so not quite clued up on cars, any ideas would be great! Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Brakes randomly? Or loses power?
    Thanks for your reply!! It hasn't lost power just randomly brakes itself, very strange!

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    Take it to a dealer, your car should still be under warranty.

My Cars
    Bmw 1series
    It's going in next week anyways but curiosity is why I ask. But yes it is under warranty still,

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Does the 1series have collision detection? Is the camera dirty? I don't think that was an option on the 1er though.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    ZHP
    inb4 "post pics"

Not a 1 Series, but my gf recently bought a brand new CX-3 (sweet little car btw). Other people with the "safety package" are having a problem where if they're on the highway in an HOV lane or similar & the lanes next to them are traveling slowly or stopped, upon approaching a curve the car decides to engage the brakes. Some terrifying shit. But autonomous cars are here!

My Cars
    Bmw 1series
    It doesn't have crash detection on it. It's very weird, my friend worded it like its losing power just bizarre it does it in the rain, I found in the settings climate control but I doubt that's anything to do with it? I'm obviously lacking knowledge in this! Hmm.. Just concerned if it's not to do with the electric fuel pump recall

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Losing power and automatically braking are two very different things. You need to clarify that first before we can help.

Losing power could be the fuel pump or any number of things very different than automatic braking.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    ZHP
    I'm only a young girl!

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
    I'm only a young girl!
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    Bmw 1series
    Well thank you for clarifying I'm a young girl and not 100% sure what's going on. No need to be rude.

It's been had a look over and it's losing power apparently when it rains the brake discs that normally apply when raining for efficient braking all whethers has water building up in the area where that is and there's a substance there that causes them to stick. Something to do with the dsc unit! Yay! Which explains why it only does it in the rain when the wipers are going,

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Glad you got it sorted. That feature is dry the brake discs was a big talking point when it debuted because in theory it's better but it also increases brake wear.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    BMW 125i M Sport F21
    I am having the exact same problem when it is raining and I am on the motorway. The car slows down on its own by a couple of MPH and I believe it to be the "dry brake" feature. But what exactly causes it? My car is going in on Monday but I would liked to give them a head start with their investigation.

Bimbles what was the problem part in your case?

Thanks.

(2013 125i M Sport)

My Cars
    Bmw 1series
    So the car ended up in the garage for a week near enough! Something the dealership hadn't seen and the guy looked shocked after taking it for a spin.. The car had a new brake fluid resiveroir, dsc hydro unit and the Dsc unit itself.. So as I was told near enough the enitiee braking system at 2 years old! It had numerous tests done as well as numerous people looking at it. It's typical mine would be affected. Apparently a build up of water getting into the system. I hope yours has been sorted marshy92!! Mines ok at the moment.. Although only time will tell!