Thread: E92 M3 race car build

My Cars
    E92 m3 and c63 amg

E92 M3 race car build

Hi guys,

Thought that I would open up a thread. I'm a bit late to this forum but here we go. I used to race British championship supermoto and built all my own race bikes from the ground up. In 2012 I got paralysed so my Supermoto career was over! Anyway, not to dwell on that, onwards and upwards as they say!

I'm now finally getting around to a track car build! I'm getting really excited about it. I've not been on track since 2012 and I'm really missing the adrenalin of trashing around the track! My Current 2014 Golf GTI will be used in the short term for some track work until the M3 is ready.

So a few months have gone past while having some heavy conversations with Will at Geoff Steel Racing. He is really enthusiastic about doing a build with me and having it adapted for use with hand controls! Something different for them to do!

On Monday, Will went off and and picked up a accident damaged 2011 M3 in black for £12,000! Now as I'm not able to build the car myself it's really going to get to me! So they will have all the fun of building it for me. I will get some pics of the base car uploaded tomorrow. It's not a pretty picture at the moment but as it will be a track car I can overlook some front end damage.

So now the car is with them ready to be stripped down on Monday. We are already looking at some great parts. I've picked up some 4 way Moton dampers, a MoTeC M800 ECU and C125 dash currently and there is a full international roll cage on order.

The car once stripped will get the motor dropped then be off to get jigged and have the full roll cage installed. Once it's nice and straight the the modification will begin!

Parts that will be orders to go on the car at the moment will be a full custom made exhaust to include headers, full adjustable geometry, hand controls, intake, carbon bonnet, boot, door cards, diffuser, bumpers and the list goes on!

With this being a salvage car, there is the issue of no initial power run or weight to see how far along we come! All I can base my figures off of are the ones that the factory say they are. It's a bit of a bummer but at the cost of the car I don't mind!

Anyway I will upload some pics tomorrow and when I have updates I will post them :-) I can't wait to get it all sorted and running and get out to club meets and track days.

I hope you all will be as excited as I am through this build!

- - - Updated - - -

C127 dash

Moton 4 way dampers from a world touring car

My Cars
    E92 m3 and c63 amg
    So here she is, she looks a bit sad for herself but it's a good sold base
    Won't take long to straighten out and get up and rolling again

My Cars
    E92 m3 and c63 amg
    Here is another update. The interior has been removed, along with the front end, engine and gearbox. The car is getting ready to go off to the Jig and Cage man as planned. After taking the carpets out there does seem to be a bit more damage that was unseen under initial inspection but the jig man seems happy. Here is a few more pics!

My Cars
    E92 m3 and c63 amg
    A bit of an update! It's been a while and had a few things come up, but this is the progress now the chassis is finally straight
    Cage design

And some tasty AP racing Calipers going on

My Cars
    E92 m3 and c63 amg
    Woohoo, the car is straight, air jack tubes are in and the cage is in! Now the fun begins. Colour choices and final confirmation on parts to go in!

My Cars
    E92 m3 and c63 amg
    So here is an early Christmas present post of the m3! ;-)

Vac motorsports

VAC Motorsports oil pan baffle kit
    Race Seat Installation Kit

Bimmerworld
    Front swaybar endlinks
    Front race arm conversion
    Rear toe arm
    Rear upper camber arm
    Rear guiding link
    Rear trailing link bearings
    Rear lower camber arm bearings
    Aluminum solid subframe mounts
    Aluminium differential mounts
    90mm premium wheel studs
    Solid engine and gearbox mounts
    Treated rod bearings kit with ARP bolts
    Ground control camber caster plates

This should really handle like its on rails when it's done ;-)

My Cars
    E92 m3 and c63 amg
    Here we go for a Christmas Eve update. The front end is starting to come together and looking rather trick!

My Cars
    2004 E46 Dinan S2 M3
    Are you running this car with a motec and life ecu for the DCT? If so, I'm VERY interested as I have an e92 with DCT and id love to switch over to a motec ecu.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Welcome - looking for to updates.

Looks Great so far!

- - - Updated - - -

Really like the pictures of the front suspension, need to start the suspension on the E21 sometime this year.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    E92 m3 and c63 amg
    Quote Originally Posted by abperry1 View Post
    Are you running this car with a motec and life ecu for the DCT? If so, I'm VERY interested as I have an e92 with DCT and id love to switch over to a motec ecu.
    We have had to get rid of the Motec ecu and stick with the life ecu. The M800 Motec has issues talking to the DCT so it's life all the way now for us. We are still sticking with the Motec dash though

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Welcome - looking for to updates.

Looks Great so far!

- - - Updated - - -

Really like the pictures of the front suspension, need to start the suspension on the E21 sometime this year.
    Thanks! The suspension components from Bimmerworld are awesome! I would really recommend them for all your parts

- - - Updated - - -

Here we go for a New Years update guys. Front end is coming together now, all painted up and the adjustable arms are installed! It's starting to look like a car now!

My Cars
    02 M3
    Those brakes, wow. Awesome build and keep up the great work!

My Cars
    2004 E46 Dinan S2 M3
    So you are running the Life ECU for the DCT and the engine?

My Cars
    E92 m3 and c63 amg
    Quote Originally Posted by abperry1 View Post
    So you are running the Life ECU for the DCT and the engine?
    Yes that's correct!

My Cars
    E92 m3 and c63 amg
    Some more pics of the suspension kit being installed

Last edited by Leglessracing; 01-11-2016 at 05:51 PM.

My Cars
    1981 Talbot Sunbeam Lotus, fitted with 1998 M3 evo
    Hi mate, great build. I was just searching around, as I am just about to start the build on my E92, and was looking around for inspiration. I too have a written off shell (fire damaged) and I have now stripped her bare, and am awaiting the delivery of my Custom cages roll cage. I am a little torn at the min, as as much as I want to keep her for myself, it may be a case of selling her as a rolling shell once it's all done as I am knee deep in projects at the min, so I am seeing what will make it more saleable if it indeed comes to that. One of the main things is do I stick with RHD or might their be a bigger market in Europe? Look forward to more updates, and I may start a build thread on my car. Where did the Moton dampers come from by the way? Touring car spares? Mr Cockburn?
    The Talbot Sunbeam has gone, long live the M3 Compact!!!!