Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New record for a coupe sale (I believe)

My Cars
    Audi R8 V10 Plus [GATED]

New record for a coupe sale (I believe)

It's been a while but it appears we have a new record on a 16k mile LSB. Hoping Jon Martin can confirm, but 67k traded hands for an M Coupe. For those with S54s (especially lower mileage examples) congrats!

For those looking for an S54 M Coupe - condolences...

My Cars
    ‘97 M3/4/5 ‘99 M Coupe
    It's absolutely insane what the s54 market did in the past year. I almost feel like the s52s are losing value. No body wants them.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by RickySixx6 View Post
    It's been a while but it appears we have a new record on a 16k mile LSB. Hoping Jon Martin can confirm, but 67k traded hands for an M Coupe. For those with S54s (especially lower mileage examples) congrats!

For those looking for an S54 M Coupe - condolences...
    Pretty incredible...actually one of the reasons I wanted an S52. I was afraid I'd fear racking up the miles on an S54. I was also tempted to go look at one of Jon's Coupes for sale back in August (also S52, and he lives about 45 minutes from me), but ended up in a supercharged Roadster with a hardtop. I'm very happy with my "compromise."

And yes, congrats to the low mileage S54 Coupe owners. If I were in that position, it would turn into $50k in the bank and a Roadster in its place.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Yeah roadster over coupe for sure... Coupe looks weird and car and driver or One of those magazines made the best and the worst BMW M Cars list.... At the top of the list at number one was the E30 M3 and at the very bottom of the list was the M coupe... Idk exactly what their reasoning was but there u go... Now they are worth insane amounts of $$$$

ATL D5 Sleeper

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    Yeah roadster over coupe for sure... Coupe looks weird and car and driver or One of those magazines made the best and the worst BMW M Cars list.... At the top of the list at number one was the E30 M3 and at the very bottom of the list was the M coupe... Idk exactly what their reasoning was but there u go... Now they are worth insane amounts of $$$$

ATL D5 Sleeper
    Well, the "weird" is what makes them cool, IMO of course.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    That's one magazine. Plenty of other magazines (including more 'international' periodicals) have had the Coupe in their top 5 BMWs, so not sure C&D is really on to anything - it's just the position of one or more of their writers/editors.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    As to whether it's a 'best' or 'worst' car, I think the money speaks for itself.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDangles View Post
    It's absolutely insane what the s54 market did in the past year. I almost feel like the s52s are losing value. No body wants them.
    You should've tried selling one in August 2001; nobody wanted our S-52 Rdstr (then with only 18k mi and pure stock/mint CPO). That's why we kept two!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Just keep it and enjoy it to its death... while the S54s will eventually get trucked around from show to show, collector to collector, and struggle to start.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    How about the same look for 1/5th the price?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...342937594.html
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    I had lots of people telling me my asking price close to 40 for my PY S54 with 125k mi was too much.

Sold it close to that. Granted, it was absolutely sorted in every way - but the market has spoken.

My Cars
    05 M3, 01 Z3M, Jeep ZJ
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Just keep it and enjoy it to its death... while the S54s will eventually get trucked around from show to show, collector to collector, and struggle to start.
    not mine!

my s54 sees track duty regularly. Soon it will have a reinforced subframe and new rod bearings too!

Current:
    2001 S54 M-Coupe
    2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S
    94 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L/242 TC (Daily)

Past:

95 325i Convertible/Boston Green
    01 330Ci Convertible/Steel Grey/Stick
    05 Infiniti G35 Premium/Tech

My Cars
    BMWs
    A good read for anyone storing their coupes as investments:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/04/22/bm...ecommuter-car/

My Cars
    z3
    S52s are definitely going up in value, certainly not to the same extent but regardless they are increasing in value. If S54s continue to sell at these absurdly high numbers, it will only cause S52's to further increase in value.

Quote Originally Posted by kdotc View Post
    A good read for anyone storing their coupes as investments:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/04/22/bm...ecommuter-car/
    Great article. I daily drive my coupes... sure they aren't S54s, and may not be worth a fortune, but I don't see the point having a car you dont enjoy that just sits around collecting dust as you watch it increase in value. The fun for me in these cars is in how they drive and I think a big part in the value of these cars comes from their pedigree, being one of the stiffest BMW chassis, and just great fun to drive. If everyone started leaving their cars to sit without being driven for fear of losing value, then that'd be a very sad day.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 12-10-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, '05 Legacy GT, Rotax kart!
    I still grind my teeth over that PY coupe that showed up here back in 2013 for something like $20K. I was only an hour or so late to the posting and of course it was long-gone by then. Oddly, as much as a I want a PY coupe in the garage, I think I'd miss my S52 too much to swing the trade-up - - something I'd have to do if I was to pay market price for a decent S54. It's like an old friend by now, and sure the engine's not as frantic as an S54 it still relaxes me every time I take it out. Maybe someday I'll splurge on FI.

My Cars
    99 Coupe Hell Yeah Red
    Quote Originally Posted by exartist View Post
    I still grind my teeth over that PY coupe that showed up here back in 2013 for something like $20K. I was only an hour or so late to the posting and of course it was long-gone by then. Oddly, as much as a I want a PY coupe in the garage, I think I'd miss my S52 too much to swing the trade-up - - something I'd have to do if I was to pay market price for a decent S54. It's like an old friend by now, and sure the engine's not as frantic as an S54 it still relaxes me every time I take it out. Maybe someday I'll splurge on FI.
    I saw that listing the second it went up, but I wanted an s54 for my personal enjoyment, not to flip. I just couldn't see myself in a PY coupe day in/day out. Given the current price trends, it looks as if I won't be owning one. They are now into ridiculous collector prices, not driving prices. That's a bit too much to spend for something I want to put miles on. I'd rather add another Porsche to my current coupe for those prices.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoupe6 View Post
    I'd rather add another Porsche to my current coupe for those prices.
    Newish Cayman S going for $25-$35 depending on the miles. That's a no brainer for me.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Turned over 132k today on my S54 M Coupe. Nobody in their right mind would pay what it would take to get it out of my hands, but that doesn't determine what it's worth.

I still want a second Clownshoe. Wouldn't care if it only had an M44. I'd still love it.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Interesting thread.

There is a RHD coupe near me for sale. Its a 1999 S54 M Coupe that has traveled 48,500 miles and is for sale for US$29,000.

So what you are all saying is this well priced when compared with the US market.

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe Coupe View Post
    not mine!

my s54 sees track duty regularly. Soon it will have a reinforced subframe and new rod bearings too!
    Same here, but got the rod bearings done and it's going in for rear subframe work this weekend. Way too much fun and draws too much interest to go another direction. Plus we've owned it since it only had 7 miles on the odo at the dealership, so it'd be damn hard to part ways now.
    2001 Steel Gray MCoupe - 147,000 miles and owned since new. MCS 2WNR suspension, Hotchkiss swaybar, poly bushings all around, cat delete headers with custom tune, 3.73 LSD, and Clownshoe Motorsports rear subframe reinforcement.

2014 Porsche Cayman S / 2022 BMW X3M Competition / 2020 Ram Rebel

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post

That's one magazine. Plenty of other magazines (including more 'international' periodicals) have had the Coupe in their top 5 BMWs, so not sure C&D is really on to anything - it's just the position of one or more of their writers/editors.
    Honestly, C&D is probably the most bland bs motoring periodical around. Even if they ditched reviews of the new Honda Accord or Chevy Cruize and overtly sarcastic yet weak writing, I guess I'd rate it as complete crap still.

-Todd

My Cars
    S54 Roady, LS1 & LS2 E36
    I'm very happy with my roadster and wouldn't trade a top down 70 degree night with the S54 blasting for anything.. But, I'd bet money that Jon's site has literally helped push that number as high as it is. And I don't mean it in a bad way. His site is a top google result for coupes, and anyone "new" in the market is gonna jump on the site and just assume the prices and values, content, information, etc is just "de rigueur" for joining the classy "Coupe Cartel".. haha.. I happen to have a few well off friends in the tech field.. To them, its all about new/old porsches and rare bimmers. Supercars are way too flashy for their hipster trendiness.. something with plaid seats, now we're talking.. hahaha

My Cars
    ‘97 M3/4/5 ‘99 M Coupe
    I guess it doesn't matter. I don't plan on selling either of my coupes.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by exartist View Post
    Think it was like $16 or $18K?

Wonder whatever happened to that car

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Audi R8 V10 Plus [GATED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Turned over 132k today on my S54 M Coupe. Nobody in their right mind would pay what it would take to get it out of my hands, but that doesn't determine what it's worth.

I still want a second Clownshoe. Wouldn't care if it only had an M44. I'd still love it.

Do I need to convince you to talk to Jon and grab the project coupe off of him?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast