Page 186 of 186 FirstFirst ... 86136161176177178179180181182183184185186
Results 4,626 to 4,646 of 4646

Thread: Rajicase's First Turbo Build, Ballin' On A (Nonexistent) Budget

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Wait until you hear this Spec LTW flywheel Twin disc clutch kit on the GS6-53. People ask me what is wrong with my car.

I know of someone who is installing a Spec twin with steel flywheel on a GS6-53 in an E9xM3. He isn’t not yet back on the road so I don’t have the report yet. Hopefully the steel flywheel dampens the sound. I don’t think it’s just the twin discs making the noise. It sounds to me more like its internal gear noise being transmitted. Volosso changed his 150k mile GS6-53 for another one with lower miles but did not report on whether that made and difference. My GS6-53 has 75k miles so I don’t think it’s worn out and looser than it should be inside.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Got me a 08 c6 Z06 today. 30k miles. Bone stock. Real gem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    skateboard
    Nice buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Wait until you hear this Spec LTW flywheel Twin disc clutch kit on the GS6-53. People ask me what is wrong with my car.

I know of someone who is installing a Spec twin with steel flywheel on a GS6-53 in an E9xM3. He isn’t not yet back on the road so I don’t have the report yet. Hopefully the steel flywheel dampens the sound. I don’t think it’s just the twin discs making the noise. It sounds to me more like its internal gear noise being transmitted. Volosso changed his 150k mile GS6-53 for another one with lower miles but did not report on whether that made and difference. My GS6-53 has 75k miles so I don’t think it’s worn out and looser than it should be inside.
    Eh I decided to put a f8.8 in the back of my car so it’s taking a while.

Personal projects < customer stuff...

But my trans is now running on another car and it seems pretty quiet. I don’t remember it being bad before on the silver car either?

I think we put mtf in it. I can check.

What’s your idle at? I think I’m doing 850 on these guys. I bump iacv settings to match compression/motor which seems to smooth them out.

Also we started installing these with 335i forks and seem to have eliminated engagement issues. The TOB/FORK come as a pair ~130$ iirc. While either fork will work the material on the 335i tob and the e36 fork seem to wear/deform pretty fast.

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    900 rpm idle, 335i TOB and fork. I have run MTL, D4 ATF plus 75W140NS, and am now on 75W140 LTW Shockproof. It was noisy with all, but the thicker oils are slightly better. Push in the clutch and the noise goes away. I know of 3 cars with GS6-53 and Spec LTW flywheel twin discs and all are loud like mine. Maybe we all got bad trans? Hopefully Raji will have a quiet one. If your car had an unmuffled 4” exhaust and is gutted, you might not even notice the gearbox noise. It could also be the one piece chromoly driveshaft with no flex disk is contributing.

My Cars
    98 m3
    900 rpm idle, 335i TOB and fork. I have run MTL, D4 ATF plus 75W140NS, and am now on 75W140 LTW Shockproof. It was noisy with all, but the thicker oils are slightly better. Push in the clutch and the noise goes away. I know of 3 cars with GS6-53 and Spec LTW flywheel twin discs and all are loud like mine. Maybe we all got bad trans? Hopefully Raji will have a quiet one. If your car had an unmuffled 4” exhaust and is gutted, you might not even notice the gearbox noise. It could also be the one piece chromoly driveshaft with no flex disk is contributing.
    I’ll pay attention today. Car going together with one.

Maybe I’m numb, all I do is dyno sessions and loud cars..

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    M3
    Twin nagasaki fat bois on the vette?

My Cars
    e30 318i, 135i
    Anything other than stock flywheels seems to result in noise with these boxes. New or old. Spec have a particularly bad name for noisy clutch setups in the n54 world

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    Twin nagasaki fat bois on the vette?
    Lmao. Nah...
    Heads/Cam/Intake/Header back exhaust should get me 600whp and that will be a wrap lol. Don't really want two project cars...

My Cars
    '97 M3
    U-joint or guibo? I’d rather change the guibo every year than have a U-joint in there.
    Last edited by chikinhed; 06-25-2020 at 07:32 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    U-joint or guibo? I’d rather change the guibo every year than have a U-joint in there.
    U-joint.
    We will see how bad it is.
    I destroyed so many of those 3 bolt flanges I'm over it to be honest. Just want something that will last.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    M3
    Cmon, we need twin 69s on that girl.... imagine.. 1500whp.. who wants 600whp anymore...

My Cars
    98 m3

Sorry for the OT RAJ,

Just following up on the rattles with Phil above.

I finally got my car back on the road, and we did finish that other car I mentioned earlier.

I put RP synchromax in both.

Neither has significant gear rattle. That being said I have less than 30 miles on either car so I’ll keep an eye on it in the dyno here next week when they are really hot. Maybe take a video.

One trans has high mileage the other was 90k.

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Maybe I have a bad trans, but I have been in touch with 2 others who are using the GS6-53 with a spec twin and aluminum single mass and both say it’s ridiculously loud. I changed to stock mounts and that made no difference. Maybe some of these trans are noisier than others. It’s not just rattle at idle; it’s gear mesh in deceleration sometimes as well. It is considerable. At present I gave the console out and no shifter gasket so that is probably contributing, but if it’s this bad when those insulating parts are back in place I will have to try another GS6-53 or move on to something that is more enjoyable to drive. Right now, the GS6-53 conversion is equal to the DSS one piece driveshaft conversion on my popularity list — I put up with it only because it doesn’t break.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I finally got this project done... five months later.
    I have put about 75 miles on the new trans.

Some recaps/highlights/my honest opinion on the GS6-53 swap kit.

As far as NVH goes, its not significantly worse than my previous set up. Yes, its noisy at idle. But my car is so obnoxious at this point it isn't really a problem for me, personally. Straight through 3.5" exhaust with solid mounts every where.

The floater plates don't rattle with the clutches disengaged, that is nice.

The 2-3 shift feels more crisp than the old ZF five speed box, also nice.

The clutch I went with was the most aggressive option (pucked carbon ceramic). I was expecting it to be brutal, but it isn't bad. Engagement is no worse than my pucked twin disc comp set up. My one beef is that the clutches don't fully disengage until the pedal is almost to the floor, yet they don't start biting until the pedal is almost all the way out. This requires a lot more pedal travel than my old comp set up. Not a huge deal, but notable.

The shifter was a total pain in the a** to get to work. I don't know if my car is an anomaly or if the trans brace supplied with the kit is flawed in that it sits the transmission too low in the tunnel. With the trans being offset, sitting on the brace as supplied in the kit, there was absolutely NO way to engage all six gears plus reverse. I could get reverse to work, but not 5-6. I could get 5-6 to work, but not reverse. I cut and welded the DSSR 20+ times, wasn't happening. I ended up making some spacers to sit under the trans mounts which kicked the trans up ~0.75" which was enough to correct the angle and allowed me to make a DSSR that would engage all gears + reverse. While not the end of the world, I was pretty frustrated with this aspect of the install, this was far from "bolt-on."

The driveshaft was also a huge source of frustration, although worked out well in the end. The official GS6-53 swap thread indicated that the front half of a e9x 325 driveshaft would mate to the stock rear half and allow for a bolt-in driveshaft option. This is not entirely accurate. It will bolt up to the stock driveshaft IF and only IF you have a four-bolt rear end. It will not mate up to the rear half of a six bolt shaft. This probably should be mentioned, considering that a lot of us have 210mm rear differentials which are all six bolt. I ended up getting a local shop to put a 1310 yoke on the front half of my stock two piece driveshaft. Im actually pleasantly surprised by how well this worked out. I was worried a U-Joint would be miserable to drive, it really isn't even noticeable. I used the drift-hq 4 bolt flange for the trans end that converted the 3 bolt flange to 4 bolt to mate with the 1310 u-joint. Now that I know this is a livable solution, I will have a custom two piece shaft made out of 0.120" wall tubing and beefier center splines.

This trans is FAT. I almost didn't have enough room for it with my boostlogic manifold which sends the wastegate pipe down under the passenger side footwell alongside the trans. In fact, I wasn't able to put the wastegate back on in its original location. I had to make a relocation pipe that kicked the wastegate out and away from the transmission. No big deal here, everyone's set up is different. But, be aware of this. Additionally, my s366sxe's exhaust flange is extremely tight to the adapter ring for the bellhousing. So close that I had to grind down my v-band clamp for the down pipe to clear the adapter ring. Again, no big deal... but be cautious depending on your set up.
    Last edited by rajicase; 07-12-2020 at 05:19 PM.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Hey raj,

What mounts are you running? Engine/trans?

What shifter? Some of that alignment might come down to the shifter position.

Also what fluid in the trans?

I know RP is relatively unliked but it has really served me well.

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    With solid mounts and an unmuffled 3.5” exhaust, there is so much other noise, you would not notice transmission gear noise. Let us know how the driveshaft works out. I would love something more civilized than the DSS one piece that has no flex disk.

You can use a flat 4 bolt diff input flange on a 210. They were used in the 70s but someone posted a link in the past year showing BMW was still selling them. I have the 6 bolt dished flange but would be willing to change if needed for the right driveshaft.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    Hey raj,

What mounts are you running? Engine/trans?

What shifter? Some of that alignment might come down to the shifter position.

Also what fluid in the trans?

I know RP is relatively unliked but it has really served me well.

I am running AKG poly motor mounts and AKG bolt through poly trans mounts.

I am running whatever trans fluid the service manual calls for. I forget what it was... ATF I believe? I may give the RP a shot, but tbh the gear noise really doesn't bother me. I don't drive this car for comfort.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    With solid mounts and an unmuffled 3.5” exhaust, there is so much other noise, you would not notice transmission gear noise. Let us know how the driveshaft works out. I would love something more civilized than the DSS one piece that has no flex disk.

You can use a flat 4 bolt diff input flange on a 210. They were used in the 70s but someone posted a link in the past year showing BMW was still selling them. I have the 6 bolt dished flange but would be willing to change if needed for the right driveshaft.
    I can definitely hear the gear noise, its loud. But it just isn't something that bothers me.

Regarding the driveshaft, I actually had a DSS one piece. Supposedly their newer version with reduced vibration. Of ALL of the ridiculous things I have done to this car that sacrifice drivability, the DSS shaft was the ONLY thing that I just couldn't live with. It was horrible. It was so bad I pulled it after one drive and put the stock shaft back in.

I am really optimistic about this two piece shaft now that I know a u-joint on the trans end doesn't significantly effect comfort/NVH.
    The factory driveshaft fails in a few areas:
    -Front three bolt flange warps/deforms
    -Main tube twists
    -Center splines deform

The rear CV is one part of the factory shaft I have not seen fail. So now that we know a U-joint front end works, we have addressed one major issue.
    A new two piece shaft can easily be built with 0.120 wall tubing. Second issue easily addressed.
    The only thing to address at this point would be the center section. And I would believe any half-decent driveline shop could build a new shaft with beefier center splines.

This should address all the areas where the stock driveshaft is deficient, and allow us to retain the two piece shaft. Additionally, this should be significantly cheaper than a DSS shaft. After talking to a few local shops, it looks like a full custom two piece shaft would run $4-600.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Running poly bolt thru transmission mounts and a straight thru 3.5” exhaust (no mufflers?) is a totally different level of NVH than what Phil is talking about. With those, what’s a ‘lil tranny noise.

I think that making a beefier three bolt flange for the driveshaft and keeping the guibo would be the bees knees for keeping the drive enjoyable.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Just dyno tuned that first car I was talking about 820rpm idle.

Silent cold, pretty quiet boiling hot.

Standing up next to the car you can hardly hear it when it’s hot, if you lean under the car it’s apparent but it’s reverberating off of the concrete.

I’d upload a video but Tapatalk isn’t letting me and I’m not keen on uploading it to YouTube or something.

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

Page 186 of 186 FirstFirst ... 86136161176177178179180181182183184185186