Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.6is M62B46 into '03 540it. From day one.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 540i m View Post
    Did you do a after dudmd tune dyno run?
    Not yet. The next dyno run will be @ Drift Office just down the road to see if his and Terrafantom's tune did the trick we hoped. Then, his machine before and after the headers are installed.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    On the headers:

If you were on the fence about purchasing a set, I know they're expensive, here's a push over the line you might have needed.

Just look at what you get as extras!!!

There are decals too but I'll post pics of them on the car once applied.

On to that dyno. Yo Dima! I'm bring'n the heat.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 07-27-2017 at 10:33 PM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Holy Crap! If he did away w/ the plaque and the shirts they'd prob cost about $1k less a set!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Damn those are sexy!!

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Holy Crap! If he did away w/ the plaque and the shirts they'd prob cost about $1k less a set!
    True but then you would go slower, 'cause science!- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Damn those are sexy!!
    Indeed, I didn't sleep last night and there may have been some orally generated car noises that while being made through the tubes, annoyed the wife. Priceless. I figured you were done with e39 tourings for a spell. I'm really hoping your e38 is a smooth-as-silk build. Say, that e38 might need sexy pipes...
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 01-08-2017 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    '03 e39 540it M Sport
    Headers look beautiful... How'd you find these guys? I googled them... found some links to their instagram which hasn't been posted on in 77 weeks and clicked on their website in the IG profile and that went to a GoDaddy domain registration! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    On the headers:

If you were on the fence about purchasing a set, I know they're expensive, here's a push over the line you might have needed.

Just look at what you get as extras!!!

There are decals too but I'll post pics of them on the car once applied.

On to that dyno. Yo Dima! I'm bring'n the heat.
    Current Garage:
    '19 Fiat 500 Abarth (DD)
    '13 Porsche 9
    91 S (mountain carver)
    '09 Porsche 997 S (rallycar)
    '03 e39 540it M Sport (unicorn garage queen)
    '69 Scout 800 (city cruiser)

Follow my cars and me on Instagram!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    They're Jedders, aren't they? If so, message M5Jed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingimpaired View Post
    Headers look beautiful... How'd you find these guys? I googled them... found some links to their instagram which hasn't been posted on in 77 weeks and clicked on their website in the IG profile and that went to a GoDaddy domain registration! lol
    It's a long story but when I was pondering the swap, I thought my dollar might go further on a bimmer if I bought parts wisely and got some help. Not.
    I was planning on headers w/the swap but ran out of time and $ especially when I learned how much 4.6is engines cost. That ate all my fun $. But, I had been researching headers for some time and while there's some good ones out there for less $, I wanted the best damn 4.6 wagon I could make. I saw Jed's headers on m5board and after a year of me pestering him with questions and him patiently feeding me info, I knew what I wanted my saved pennies to turn into. It took this long for me to come up with the dough but I hope, worth it.

At some point Wagons Ho will have perfected a twin-screw supercharger that I WON'T HAVE TO BUY A 4.4 SO HE CAN BORE IT OUT TO A 4.7 AND HAVE IT BE PRE-VANOS! ( that was for Wagons Ho. He's telling me my desired plans are phuqued but I have faith)

I wanted a free flow exhaust. No cats, no mufflers and a decent resonator. With these on the 4.6 I'll also get Jed some much needed public info on a 4.6 and possibly a 4.4 if I can find someone up my way willing to help with the dyno/install/dyno/tune/dyno/removal on a 4.4 (which might motivate Jed to offer a special price to that individual should they like the dyno #'s) and then I'll place these forever in their new home in my sweet baby girl. She'll purr, roar and roar more with some forced air, I hope.

He and I are both selling these, same price. I'm actually building his website currently as well as trying to start one of my own featuring really exceptional parts specific to the e39. Jed takes all the $. I'm just helping a great guy do great things. He's got a bunch of e39 and various other parts that are equally impressive, you should check it out.

Don't judge the site too harshly, I'm a fast boat detailer but a slow web designer. Theres a bunch of missing content. I'm adding lsd's and coilovers next. www.e39toys.com you can see some of his pieces there. I'm not so much selling his stuff as representing it for him while he's busy building cool stuff and moving.

The price includes shipping and the extras.

I just assembled them in my living room. I'm trying to get the wife cool with hanging them on the wall while I await the window to install them. So far, its an uphill battle.

PM me and I can get you Jed's email.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    They're Jedders, aren't they? If so, message M5Jed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    You are correct sir however, Jed is in the process of moving his entire shop to a new location and it's hard to reach him at times but he does try to check email a few times a day.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 01-09-2017 at 12:29 AM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    You are correct sir however, Jed is in the process of moving his entire shop to a new location and it's hard to reach him at times but he does try to check email a few times a day.
    Yeah, I think I saw pics of his new shop on FB. Those headers sure are beautiful. Are you needing to use O2 sensor extension wires for those headers to work on the M62TU? I remember when Brian had Evolve headers on his M62TU, he needed to run the extensions since the TU had the pre-cat o2 sensors much closer to the heads than the M5s and M62s.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Yeah, I think I saw pics of his new shop on FB. Those headers sure are beautiful. Are you needing to use O2 sensor extension wires for those headers to work on the M62TU? I remember when Brian had Evolve headers on his M62TU, he needed to run the extensions since the TU had the pre-cat o2 sensors much closer to the heads than the M5s and M62s.
    Probably but cart before the horse for me currently. I need to plan the big steps in this install and deal with the details when I approach that intersection. Pre-cats definitely. On the X5, they're not the same location/distance from the primaries. Good point to bring up however. I'm sure there will be a ton of tiny little things. I'm a noob.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 01-09-2017 at 01:32 AM.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I figured you were done with e39 tourings for a spell. I'm really hoping your e38 is a smooth-as-silk build. Say, that e38 might need sexy pipes...
    I am but I still lurk. The E38 is incredible. It's everything the touring wasn't as far as a DD goes. But I am tempted by the headers. At the time, I had to choose and the ESS kit with partial sponsorship was a no brainer. But I may still end up with a set of these.

I have had the pleasure of driving my wife's E53 4.6is and know how beastly the motor is

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I am but I still lurk. The E38 is incredible. It's everything the touring wasn't as far as a DD goes. But I am tempted by the headers. At the time, I had to choose and the ESS kit with partial sponsorship was a no brainer. But I may still end up with a set of these.

I have had the pleasure of driving my wife's E53 4.6is and know how beastly the motor is
    I don't think I'm alone when I say that it's kind of exciting to see what you of all people do with that 7 besides the personalized plate that reads "SLEVEN" (I might have been the only one hoping for that plate thing)

I think the headers, after assembling them last night, look good enough on my coffee table (wife is beside herself) that I won't mind taking my time to do the install right.

I can say this, I was onboard with a set of Evolve Medusa headers until I saw this:

Which is still WAY better than the stock manifolds, rather the collector (not sure what this part-end is called) of a 4.6 as shown below. You're right though, the 4.6is and 4.8is E53 X5, for their time were and to some extent still, are pretty burly and respectable when you mash down the long pedal. I love her rig (my wife has one too) she's selling it though :'(
    At least I have 4.6 left in the stable.

I mean Chismas on a stick, anyone could design something less restrictive than this let alone prettier.

Jed's collectors on the other hand iterates again to me why I fell for his passion and artistry, beyond the gains. If sheer speed was the factor, I'd have sold the car and taken the header/4.6 swap $ and gotten a nice M5. I honestly just want a great feeling, sounding and running 4.6. The "Unicorn" headers had me at hello or first sight, second sight and I can honestly say that there is absolutely no buyers remorse. With his warranty for life... Are you kidding me!!?? Love this guy.

Here's the inside of the "Unicorn" collectors:

Not kidding you, it's like baby-butt smooth as far as I can reach. And look at these welds!!

And Jed prepares for you possibly porting your exhaust, so he grinds them accordingly:

the collectors insides, the smoothness on the transition and welds inside and out. *Jed's welding is back-purged with argon so it doesn't bubble up and create slag inside. *Now compare the insides to Evolve Medusa header collector... I'm not a fan of turbulence in a tube where I'm going for the least restricted flow I can afford.

I'm sure Jed and you will be talking soon. You're doing an s62 swap or Ls? He'd make a custom set regardless for a high profile build I think.

In my personal opinion, there are people/companies that sell more sizzle than steak. I feel Jed is all Steak and the sizzle comes after installation and he just loves his work. Why not support that kind of passion.

He never tried to sell me a set, not once in over a year. He just took my emails and respectfully replied without ego. I am so grateful to be in this touring community specifically because it includes people with heart and passion. I'm humbled to have met Jed twice. I can't wait to drive the wagon to his shop one day.

I thought about polishing them but I kind of like the Harlequin color scheme that comes from welding on stainless. It's a damn shame I can't show them off once installed. So the very least I can do is show the forum what he does and not half-ass the process to get the most out of them.

I'll be a cheer squad, I believe in Unicorns, now.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 08-02-2017 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    *Jed's welding is back-purged with argon so it doesn't bubble up and create slag inside. *Now compare the insides to Evolve Medusa header collector...
    Not to disagree w your evaluation, but anybody who doesn't purge tubes when welding as a matter of course is a total hack - that certainly shouldn't be 'special' in any way.

But even purged, inside cleanup is often necessary if you want it to be perfect. And that's where the Unicorns truly go the extra mile, obv the production on those is taken to a high level of detail.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Not to disagree w your evaluation, but anybody who doesn't purge tubes when welding as a matter of course is a total hack - that certainly shouldn't be 'special' in any way.

But even purged, inside cleanup is often necessary if you want it to be perfect. And that's where the Unicorns truly go the extra mile, obv the production on those is taken to a high level of detail.
    All I can say is that in nature, sometimes the most beautiful things just seem, right. When I saw these things for the first time I was taken by just how organic and natural they looked, like art. It set me on the path to get them that day. What can I say? I'm a sucker for shizz that looks good. I'd be proud to have them even if I lose power, that's how impressed I am so far.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Thanks!! My new plate reads ESS S62.

Jed is an artist!! I really would like a set of those and I did just get a bonus

I might have read it and forgotten but can you install them in the car or does the motor have to come out? That would be kind a bummer for my car since the new motor just went in..

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport

Jed is an artist!! I really would like a set of those and I did just get a bonus

I might have read it and forgotten but can you install them in the car or does the motor have to come out? That would be kind a bummer for my car since the new motor just went in..
    He built them to be installed without dropping the engine, all modular designed. Oops, did I just make that an easy decision for you? Lol.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 01-11-2017 at 12:06 AM.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    I have to say, there is a point at which you stop making performance parts and start making art...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport

That would be kind a bummer for my car since the new motor just went in..
    I don't mean to sound like a salesman but on his s62, his tubes outperformed Dinan's by 25 hp. By his estimation, that's 65 hp over stock (to be fair, Jed:s wagon w/s62 had some mods on the intake side but the only change from baseline to Delta was the Dinan vs "Unicorn" exhaust; both free flow I believe. So I guess it's not a straight 65 hp bolt-on but on his first attempt, kicking Dinan down the stairs like that is impressive.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I don't mean to sound like a salesman but on his s62, his tubes outperformed Dinan's by 25 hp. By his estimation, that's 65 hp over stock (to be fair, Jed:s wagon w/s62 had some mods on the intake side but the only change from baseline to Delta was the Dinan vs "Unicorn" exhaust; both free flow I believe. So I guess it's not a straight 65 hp bolt-on but on his first attempt, kicking Dinan down the stairs like that is impressive.
    Yeah, if anything I'd question the Dinan gain number when adding up to the 65, but at the very least we know 'any' headers tend to be good for 25-30hp on the V8's, so if we trust the proven 25hp delta (and we do), then a straight bolt on 50-55 is extremely plausible, and 65 certainly in the realm of possibility. There's always the "but what exhaust behind it" questions etc. etc. but it's almost academic at this point, clearly these are the best headers you can buy for these motors.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Nice write up Plattus. I was going to suggest you get the headers ceramic coated inside and out, however I see you like the Harlequin colors so at least do the inside. Compared to the price of the headers it's just a drop in the bucket.
    Better flow and cooler under the hood temps.
    As GG said back purging with argon is a must when TIGing on stainless.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Nice write up Plattus. I was going to suggest you get the headers ceramic coated inside and out, however I see you like the Harlequin colors so at least do the inside. Compared to the price of the headers it's just a drop in the bucket.
    Better flow and cooler under the hood temps.
    As GG said back purging with argon is a must when TIGing on stainless.
    Interesting, I'll look into it, thanks JL!

GG-, I tend to agree with you concerning the plausibility of the gains. Difficult but not impossible for a good mechanic and tuner to achieve with impressive parts and skill.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, a 2-wagon family!
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 08-02-2017 at 09:51 PM.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    When I installed my Supersprint headers, the original O2 sensors didn't reach. I changed to a longer wired O2 sensor since the car had the originals and they were due for a change, here's what I referenced:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-13477-v-13559

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Pfffff .... compare the sizes of those wagoneers ...

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Pfffff .... compare the sizes of those wagoneers ...
    Right?! Looks like my wagon is about to experience rough non-consentual sex with no safe word. I'm an inch longer 3" narrower, 8" shorter and I have 7 cubic feet less of cargo space.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I had a plan:
    Local shop "drift office" would do a post-tune dyno so we know how the engine is running now on the amalgam tune by DUDMD and Terrafantom.

Next would be driving a few blocks to DUDMD's shop for a baseline dyno and either he or a friend you met, James (wizard behind the swap success) would help me install these headers. I'd then drive to the other side of the state to have the cats deleted and custom work done on the exhaust, then back to DUDMD's shop so he could strap her to the dyno and see what kind of power he can pull out of the whole pkg...

Then that joker Jed called me up and said that I should drive 1,200 miles to his new shop and let him install them. He then added that Dinan was having a 50% off sale on tuning e'series cars, so let them tune headers that are better than their own e39 M5 headers. Cruel to rub their face in it but kind of a cool thought...

I think I'll make the drive. AquilaBMW, chill the beer my man, I'll be expecting a showing of your red long roof.

If DUDMD can save the Dinan tune to a flash drive and put my car back to the adaptations post-tune (which I'll have him save before driving down) we can then see if Dima, DUDMD can get better results than Dinan.

Dima and I had talked about adding his intake system afterwards to show yet again on another car, it would be a decent increase, especially with headers and a resistance-free (virtually) exhaust.

I'm psyched to make the journey. I've told the wife but not the wagon. That'll take some coaxing.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 02-06-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast