Thread: Question about trickle charger.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330ci

Question about trickle charger.

What's the best practice to use a trickle charger? I have a E46 and a E53. When using one I don't use the other sometimes for 2 weeks at a time. When I start the cars after a while the battery seems low as if it has been draining. Is there a battery charger that works for both. I am also interested in using a solar charger if possible. Thanks for your help.

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by trackerxx99 View Post
    What's the best practice to use a trickle charger? I have a E46 and a E53. When using one I don't use the other sometimes for 2 weeks at a time. When I start the cars after a while the battery seems low as if it has been draining. Is there a battery charger that works for both. I am also interested in using a solar charger if possible. Thanks for your help.
    I use the BMW trickle charger and bought it off amazon for cheap. I charge if car isn't driven for 3 or 4 days. Nothing kills battery life more than decharging it over and over
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    BMW electronics pull alot even when it sleep mode ... I want to say the 7er user manual says if you plan to park the car for more than a couple of days a charger is required. IE, don't park it at the airport for more than a day or two if you plan to drive it home.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    Landrover
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    BMW electronics pull alot even when it sleep mode ... I want to say the 7er user manual says if you plan to park the car for more than a couple of days a charger is required. IE, don't park it at the airport for more than a day or two if you plan to drive it home.
    Actually the older cars have a higher amperage draw. The E series cars range from 40 to 50 milliamps and F and G series 9 to 22 milliamps. You can use a trickle charger. You must hook up to the power terminals under the hood if you have a E90 or newer vehicle if it has a IBS sensor on the batteries negative terminal. I have seen a solar charger used on some models that plug into the obd2 plug.