Thread: Purchase quandry and discussion

My Cars
    17 650i M Sport

Purchase quandry and discussion

Hey y'all, it's been awhile since I've posted but I'm asking for a little discussion and pros and cons. I currently have a 2001 530i sport with 134,000 miles and a 2001 740i sport with 148,000 miles. I had an '07 335i sport that I bought CPO which my now ex-wife drove until life happened. All three were relatively problem free. The only problem is with the E39 is a smallish oil leak at the oil pan and a pesky CEL that comes and goes. On the E38 I've done the alternator, VCG's, complete cooling system, new battery, and a few other smaller tidbits along with regular maintenance. Right now there is a small coolant leak from the pipe that runs under the intake manifold from front to back, coolant transfer pipe I believe is what it's called. And lately it's developed a rough idle on cold mornings that goes away once she's warm. But, it's time for it to go.

So here's the discussion. I'm looking at two cars both from the same dealership, a plain Jane '06 330i value package with just 27,800 miles and a 65,700 mile '08 535i with the sport and premium package. Both come with unlimited lifetime powertrain warranty from Wells Fargo. The 330i is $17,998 and the 535i is $19,998 and both have complete and very anal service records.

I'm recently divorced and have custody of my 9 year old son so the 330i would be enough for us and the N52 is fairly solid with good gas mileage. The responsible adult in me says that this is all I need and it only has a hair under 30k meticulously maintained miles. But the young, thrill seeking and fun loving guy that I am is wanting the 535i but it's at almost 66,000 miles. So I'm curious as to what others would do. I'm not asking for anybody to tell me what to do, I'm just curious what you would do. Maybe your comments and discussion will help push me one way or the other.

Also, does anybody have any experience with the Unlimited Lifetime powertrain warranty backed by Wells Fargo? As long as I maintain recommended service intervals, the entire powertrain and all lubricated internals are covered. Doesn't include gaskets, but I can do those on my own, nor does it cover the components of the turbo.

And to throw in one more, a 2010 550i with 58,500 miles with full service records. No warranty offered.
    Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

My Cars
    Landrover
    Stay away from the 550. Great car but will drain you financially. Expect a couple thousand a visit to shop. The 330 will be a great car but low mileage can be just as damaging as high mileage. Not driving a car can rot it.... What is a value package? Powertrain warranty is good but not likely used. If you purchase a service contract make sure it covers oil leaks. And if you get the 550 make sure it covers turbos and valve stem seals.

My Cars
    17 650i M Sport
    Why stay away from the 550? Engine components? Electrical components? In my research it seams fairly solid and anything mechanical I can do myself.

I agree with a low mileage older car being prone to problems as well, but this one was stored in a garage and only saw nice weather.

I think you meant the 535. The 550 doesn't have a turbo.

The warranty is already offered in the price of the car. But the research I've done shows it's basically useless just like most extended warranties. Maybe I'll ask if the can remove the coverage and offer the car for less.

The value package is the standard options.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Do you have room for 2 cars? I own a responsible and an irresponsible car. The irresponsible car could be a project car if budget is a big consideration, could also be a bonding experience with the son.

I also own a motorcycle, but let's not go crazy.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2002 540/6, 2006 325xiT
    If you're divorced, then it's time to have some fun. $20k will net you a reasonably clean E39 M5, though the maintenance costs are not insignificant, so you'd want to bank at least another $4k or so for that. Or, you could go the budget route and replace your 530 with an 02 or 03 540 - a clean one at around 100k miles is in the $8k range, or another $1k-2k if you want the 6 speed manual (which I highly recommend). I've had both an 00 and 02 540, both have been very reliable.

All of these cars are out of warranty, including the ones you're looking at. When you get into the E60 or E90, they become an order of magnitude more complex with the electronics. That's what I found out when I bought an 06 325xiT as a DD so I wouldn't wear out my 02 540/6. I like the little Touring, and they're cheap on the used market, but the electronics are absolutely everywhere, as opposed to the E39's minimal electronics. Going to cost you a lot more to get them fixed when something goes wrong. The E39's mechanical water pump is around $100-120, while the E90's electric water pump is more like $450. Ouch.

Aftermarket warranties... just read the fine print, because it will be there. I wouldn't put much of a premium on that, as you may find collecting on it is a real hassle, or they restrict who can do the repairs, or... the only extended warranty you can depend on is CPO from BMW, and you definitely pay for that.

My Cars
    17 650i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by FastJohn View Post
    If you're divorced, then it's time to have some fun. $20k will net you a reasonably clean E39 M5, though the maintenance costs are not insignificant, so you'd want to bank at least another $4k or so for that. Or, you could go the budget route and replace your 530 with an 02 or 03 540 - a clean one at around 100k miles is in the $8k range, or another $1k-2k if you want the 6 speed manual (which I highly recommend). I've had both an 00 and 02 540, both have been very reliable.

All of these cars are out of warranty, including the ones you're looking at. When you get into the E60 or E90, they become an order of magnitude more complex with the electronics. That's what I found out when I bought an 06 325xiT as a DD so I wouldn't wear out my 02 540/6. I like the little Touring, and they're cheap on the used market, but the electronics are absolutely everywhere, as opposed to the E39's minimal electronics. Going to cost you a lot more to get them fixed when something goes wrong. The E39's mechanical water pump is around $100-120, while the E90's electric water pump is more like $450. Ouch.

Aftermarket warranties... just read the fine print, because it will be there. I wouldn't put much of a premium on that, as you may find collecting on it is a real hassle, or they restrict who can do the repairs, or... the only extended warranty you can depend on is CPO from BMW, and you definitely pay for that.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've had the e39 for going on 8 years and the design is growing old on me. I'm ready for something newer looking. I'm still in love with the looks of my e38 but finding a low mileage one is impossible now days. As far as an M series anything.....no thanks. Even though I'm perfectly capable of doing all the work myself, I just don't want the headache. I'm still looking at the 06 330i but I've since turned my attention to finding a lower mileage 550i. The motorhead in me just craves the rumble and power of a torquey v8.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you could reasonably afford it, buy the fun car. The 550i or 535i would be my choice. We have an 08 535xit. The 08-10 models have a twin turbo I6 that can be easily modified for significantly more power. With just a $500 tune, it will perform like a 550i; with more mods it will outperform one. Low end response is very strong in my opinion.

I have not followed the V8s that closely, but I know that at least earlier 545/550 had a bit of a reputation for expensive problems. Really nice cars, but look into the headache and expense factor. All the cars you are looking at are out of warranty or nearly so. To the extent you can get one, it will be aftermarket and probably expensive. You will want to self insure instead, which means be prepared to spend a few thousand to sort the car out. 5+ years is about when some parts will need to be replaced, but this is also why you are able to buy the car for 1/3 to 1/2 what it cost new.

I also like the 335i a lot, but you may not want one if your ex got your last one. I think they are a great value in the used car market and very modifiable for better performance.

My Cars
    17 650i M Sport
    I decided on a fully loaded 2007 550i with 59000 miles, alpine white over beige interior. Not a bad price either at 16,900. The dealership gave it a full service, changed spark plugs, replaced most gaskets, serviced the transmission, and replaced expansion tank and hoses. Comes with a 6 month/6000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Going to go pick it up today.

My Cars
    17 650i M Sport
    It's after 9pm, I just got home after 8+ hours of driving. The first half was in my 149k miles 2001 740i sport. I absolutely loved that car! She ran like a top and still had plenty of grunt and brawn and drop dead sexy looks. I've driven that thing from Central Texas to Northern Ohio and back, from Texas to Georgia and back twice, Texas to Illinois numerous times without nary a complaint and wouldn't hesitate to a cross country trip. 149000 miles and was only left stranded once when a coolant hose gave out. I'm really going to miss that car. That said the trip home from North Carolina in the 550i was amazing! What a car! It just pulls like a freight train and had me wiping crap eating grins off my face the entire trip home. Love it!

edit: Oh and 24.6 mpg at mostly 80-90 MPH all the way home!
    Last edited by jblindy; 12-01-2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added mpg

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    Congrats on the new car. Keep smiling!!

My Cars
    Landrover
    Congratulations!! Update us in a month or so. Let us know how it goes. Don't burn up the tires too fast.