Thread: Brand New X5 Broke. Needs New Differential. Is this normal?

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5

Brand New X5 Broke. Needs New Differential. Is this normal?

After noticing leaking on the garage floor, I crawled under my X5 and found the front end full of a somewhat thicker, liquid substance. The BMW service department says I need a new differential, but my X5 only has 12,000+ miles on it. Is this normal? My vehicle is still with the mechanic and it's been 7 days already.

My Cars
    1997 LS1 M3, 2004 330xi
    Lol definitely not normal. Differentials should last the life of a vehicle. Something is severely wrong and bmw should fix this at no charge while supplying a loaner car.

My Cars
    m5s
    Not normal.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    It's under warranty, right? Things happen. Unless it happened again, I wouldn't worry about it being common to the brand/model.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by tvnewsmom View Post
    After noticing leaking on the garage floor, I crawled under my X5 and found the front end full of a somewhat thicker, liquid substance. The BMW service department says I need a new differential, but my X5 only has 12,000+ miles on it. Is this normal? My vehicle is still with the mechanic and it's been 7 days already.
    Not normal, but it can happen. Some percentage of parts are defective from the factory. It's not great to be the recipient, but it's under warranty so enjoy the loaner. If it happens again though... then you might have other issues.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Yes it's normal for things to break... Have seen a brand new m4 dct faulty and had to replace it. Don't worry about it.
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Unless you hit something and cracked the differential causing the leak...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5
    No. I didn't hit anything.

My Cars
    2002 M5
    I've lost faith in the quality of newer BMWs. Sadly I've also lost faith in the techs at the dealerships...

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Oddly enough the only problem I've had with my new bmws was when I thought I knew better than they did.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5
    Quote Originally Posted by t0bln View Post
    I've lost faith in the quality of newer BMWs. Sadly I've also lost faith in the techs at the dealerships...
    I bought a brand new X5 in November 2014. After numerous critical safety issues, the dealership and BMW NA took the vehicle back after 5 months. They replaced it with my current brand new 2015 X5, but now after a few months it need a new differential. What is going on with the quality of BMW products or is it just a fluke?

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    I hate to generalize but the X5 is a notoriously unreliable and poorly built vehicle. I owned one for 10 years. I have since gone on to older BMWs and am very pleased with their quality.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    04 330i zhp; 06 Cooper S
    Warranties are good. Extended warranties are good too. This is certainly a vehicle I would not own without one. Dealerships, OTOH, are not so good. I wonder if a differential that is leaking but not making any noise or lighting up the dash just needs a new seal. I wonder too why on Earth it takes 7 days to replace a diff.

I had a lot of trouble with my Mini, bought the extended warranty, drove it 7k past the warranty and it dropped two exhaust valves. Shoulda sold it at 98k. I'll never buy another one.

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5
    As soon as I got my X5 back from the differential replacement, I noticed the RPM is running really high. This is happening at start up, while I'm idling and when I'm driving with my foot not even on the accelerator. I contacted the dealership right away. They told me they'd get back to me. That was last Tuesday, one week ago.

My Cars
    Landrover
    I would contact them back or just drive up there. I don't see how the two would be related. But perhaps somehow something happened.