Thread: Fan Delete, Electrical Fan Temp Sensor Suggestion?

My Cars
    One Too Many

Fan Delete, Electrical Fan Temp Sensor Suggestion?

So I had to delete my mechanical fan on my E36 328i due to a supercharger install and having to run coolant pipes in a different angle. So I am looking to do the Electrical fan mod, and although its all self explanatory what isn't is the fact that I would need to tap it into some kind of a temp sensor, the BMW Mechanical fan is run from the engine and always has air flow, but if I were to tap it into the radiator temp switch, it would only come on too late, I wanted it to come on when its idling lets say 30C, So for this I figure I will need an water temp radiator hose adapter & a adjustable temp sensor switch... Whats the verdict on that? Or is there a more cheaper/simpler solution without a manual switch.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    E46s have a temperature sensor in the lower hose. I wonder if you could use the bottom hose from a E46. Check www.realoem.com to see if the bottom E46 hose will work for you.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Use a colder radiator switch from a late or early 318i. Salvage the early wiring harness pigtail for the bigger connector on the early 318i switch (same as the electric fan connector) or modify your harness end to fit the late 318i sender.

Or buy an aftermarket sender or controller and mount that sender in the head if you have a spare port or in a drilled and tapped thermostat housing or in an upper hose adapter or in an aluminum radiator with extra fitting welded on.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I've seen fan controllers that attach to the radiator fins. I'm not too sure how accurate it is but it's an option. I think the best way to go is to see if the cooling system has an unused "port" for a temperature sensor.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have used those but they are not my preference. Most people doing the primary fan delete piggyback off the auxiliary fan switch for the new relay trigger and use the colder 318i radiator switch. Most don't even add a new primary electric fan and just use the auxiliary pusher.

My Cars
    E46XI E36
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    E46s have a temperature sensor in the lower hose. I wonder if you could use the bottom hose from a E46. Check www.realoem.com to see if the bottom E46 hose will work for you.
    Won't work.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    TRM and others, maybe rally road, ces sell upper hose fittings that take a 1/8 npt sender.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    TRM and others, maybe rally road, ces sell upper hose fittings that take a 1/8 npt sender.

This^

I used one of these pieces. Rather than an aftermarket switch I used a factory switch. I installed it in the lower hose. I had to drill the hole out and re-tap the hole for the bmw switch. So I put the regular temp switch in the radiator, and the lower temp switch in the fitting in the lower hose.

My thought was to not use the switch in the radiator because if it fails you have no fan at all. Probably overkill but it makes me feel better.
    People I owe beverages to, lokijibber

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I like overkill also. I have an aftermarket electric pusher fan using a colder radiator switch and an aftermarket electric puller fan using an aftermarket switch mounted in the head and run off its own relay.

My Cars
    1996 BMW E36 318is M44
    I have a 96 318is M44. I can't upgrade the thermostat housing to an aluminum one that I know of. I have searched and I haven't been able to find one that fits.

I have the FMD and I plan to fit a 80/88C radiator switch. The stock thermostat is 95C and the radiator switch is 91/99. I want to fit a cooler thermostat but I haven't found any that fit. The M44 doesn't allow for that kind of upgrade. Does anybody have the model that I got? My fans don't run unless I jump the connector with a small wire. I am going to fit a lower switch so the fan turn on by themselves at the designated temps at the switch instead of them being on all the time.
    Last edited by locobrown; 01-10-2016 at 11:26 PM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster
    From what I understand the aluminum t/stat housing isn't really an upgrade. Many say it leaks. Just kept an eye on on things and the factory one will last a long time.

Is the engine getting hot enough to turn on the fans? You say the fans will come on when jumped. So they are good. Maybe your switch is bad, or it's not getting hot enough.

Personally a lower temp stat is not worth it. I say that because the engine was designed to run at a certain temperature. If you change the stat you won't get into closed loop when it's supposed to. Your mileage and drive ability will suffer.