Thread: Need Help Weird Overheating

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i

Need Help Weird Overheating

I have a 2001 BMW 525i. The car overheated on freeway and the reservoir was cracked and no fluids inside. Had it towed and changed the reservoir. after still overheated after a few minutes driving. Changed out the Thermostat and seemed to run better. Issue I have is car runs fine but gets hot on the freeway. Does not overheat on surface streets or when idle. Thank you for any suggestions.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Head over to E46Fanatics and read Mango's sticky on how to rebuild and bleed the cooling system. Yes, your car is a 5-series, but you have an engine shared with the 3-series.

How many miles on the car? It's probably due for a cooling system overhaul. Don't replace cooling system parts piecemeal. Bite the bullet and replace the entire cooling system with original parts manufacturer (OEM) parts.

DO NOT INSTALL AFTERMARKET PARTS! These engines are made of aluminum and do not tolerate overheating.

Again, refer to the aforementioned sticky. Your parts may be different so become familiar with www.realoem.com. Enter the last 7 characters of the car's VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Hit the cooling icon. And use only BMW coolant and DISTILLED water.