Thread: M235i - how do I keep mice out? $900 fuel pump replacement on a leased car!

My Cars
    M235i

Unhappy M235i - how do I keep mice out? $900 fuel pump replacement on a leased car!

I have a leased M235i, 7 months now. Went to leave work and there was a large puddle of gas when I thought I was going home. Dealer says mice chewed gaskets on top of the tank and I need a $900 fuel pump replacement. I'm stunned.

I've lived out in the woods for 30 years now and yeah mice might get into an air cleaner or whatever once in a while but how poorly is the car designed if this can happen?

Anyway, I doubt I could ever poison all of the rodents where I live so does anyone have any suggestions? I see another post where someone suggested a car storage bag but this car is driven daily so I don't think a sealed bag would be a good idea.

My Cars
    6BT, 3VZE
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerider View Post
    Dealer says mice chewed gaskets on top of the tank and I need a $900 fuel pump replacement. I'm stunned.

I call BS. There's no gasket that they could get to up there, and even if there was, an opening on the top of the tank won't make fuel leak out.

And a chewed up gasket does not mean the fuel pump needs replaced. They're raking you for a ride.

My Cars
    E46XI E36
    I highly doubt a rodent chewed through a gasket over night and caused that large of a fuel leak.

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    I've heard rodents like BMW rubber.

That much fuel points to a fuel line break. Gasket just doesn't make sense.

I dunno much about the M235, but an OEM fuel pump on e46 is $200 and takes 30 minutes to replace.

2005 E46 330 ZHP Imola Red
    2004 E46 325 M56 Steel Metallic Blue - Sold

My Cars
    M235i

photo from dealer

I was talking to a guy at work where my gas spill happened and he knows of at least 2 vehicles that squirrels ate filler pipes.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsch View Post
    I dunno much about the M235, but an OEM fuel pump on e46 is $200 and takes 30 minutes to replace.
    OP said he spoke to Dealer. The part could cost $0 and the repair at the dealer might still cost $1000.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    M235i
    My insurance ended up covering it and they said there's been a lot of rodent damage to lots of brands across the country this year(especially from soy based wiring covers). I'm getting my garage doors serviced and I'm deploying one of these: http://raticator.com/