Thread: A testimonial to seat belts and BMW construction

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i x-drive

A testimonial to seat belts and BMW construction

In what could have been a disaster, I was hit by a Dodge Challenger almost head on. My car, a 2003 330xi, was destroyed (see picture).

My son and I were both wearing lap/shoulder belts, and the air bags deployed. We were both able to open the doors and get out; neither of us have anything beyond the usual bumps and bruises you'd expect.

So to ALL: PLEASE NEVER DRIVE WITHOUT YOUR SEAT BELTS PROPERLY FASTENED.

And a big thank you to BMW for building a car that gave its life to save ours. IMG_2634.jpg

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Damn. Glad to see you're ok. These cars can def take a beat and protect the valuables inside.

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    z3
    Great to hear you walked away from that - looks like a pretty major accident. German engineering goes a long way! Stay safe

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    First, glad everyone is OK. Second, I would be curious to know how the Challenger held up?

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    German engineering goes a long way!
    I think government regulation played a bigger role.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i x-drive
    Two more pictures, including one of the Challenger:IMG_2645.jpgIMG_2635.jpg

Airbag in the Challenger did not deploy.

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Glad to hear your ok! Looks like a solid impact for sure. How did the Dodge driver fair?

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    Landrover
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    I think government regulation played a bigger role.
    I think government regulation some but primarily free market capitalism (manufacture competitiveness) to build safe cars is the primary reason.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson740 View Post
    I think government regulation some but primarily free market capitalism (manufacture competitiveness) to build safe cars is the primary reason.
    Good point. Free market capitalism also ensures a cleaner environment, if only those government regulators didn't get in the way!
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i x-drive
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriabmw27 View Post
    Glad to hear your ok! Looks like a solid impact for sure. How did the Dodge driver fair?
    Thanks! I was going about 40, she (the Challenger driver) must have been doing at least 30 - she was trying to make a left turn at a light ahead of me. I don't know exactly how she was doing; but she was transported to the local hospital with what looked like a bad bloody nose.

Now, of course, I need to find yet another car. May look at an X3 or an E90, on the theory that as they are a bit larger, they might be a bit safer.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Size doesn't necessarily determine safety. Technology does.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i x-drive
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    Size doesn't necessarily determine safety. Technology does.
    I generally agree with you, though I would rather be hit in an U.S. Army 5 ton than a 5 series, for (an admittedly slightly absurd) example. I'd hate to have to buy the gas station necessary to keep it running, though!

That was why I was thinking of an E90 or equivalent X3 - both would be a bit larger as well as more modern technologically. And having walked away from a head-on high-speed impact in an E46, I have to believe the E46 is pretty darn safe to begin with. I'm probably just going through the typical post-accident "I want a M1A2 tank to drive to work" phase . . .

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Glad your okay. Looks like a very solid collision. This is why I drive a 5 series. I remember watching wildest police chases. A guy was going 100+ and rolled the car several times. He then jumped out the window and ran. Go figure.

As to safety, yes more weight is safer once the impact happens. Bigger cars are not pushed as far, and they typically are not ping-ponged across the road as hard as a smaller car would be. Obviously cabin structure and airbags play a key role to driver safety as well. But once impact happens, its all about physics, weight and momentum.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster
    I'm shocked the air bad didn't go off in the Challenger. It should have. That's not a good thing.

And glad to hear you and your son are safe.
    People I owe beverages to, lokijibber

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Glad to hear that everyone is OK. You and your son is very lucky to be alive and escaped with no harm.

Based on pics, dodge's longer modern softer crumple zone took most of the impact compared to E46. From the crack in the E46 windshield, I assume if the impact was any more faster, safety cage in the E46 would've been compromised.

Dodge driver probably wasn't wearing a seatbelt, since most modern SRS systems don't inflate your airbag if you're not buckled up.
    Last edited by SpeedsterBek; 11-05-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i x-drive
    Thanks all for good wishes. I think we were pretty lucky.

Car shopping now; not as much as fun as it used to be . . .