Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 1997 328iC - New Acquisition

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC

My 1997 328iC - New Acquisition

So I just purchased my 3rd e36 (2 1992 318i in the past) and my 3rd convertible (1989 325iC that I restored and a 1992 that I bartered away). I was looking for a 328i sedan and stumbled on this in the local CL. This is my 8th BMW, overall.

5MT, 167,xxx miles. Car needs some minor maintenance but overall good condition. Southern car, no rust (HUGE bonus for someone in the mid-Atlantic). Painted hardtop (another nice bonus there) but the soft top motor needs attention. Stack of service records to boot.

Vehicle information
    VIN ET64679
    Type code BK73
    Type 328I (USA)
    Dev. series E36 (C)
    Line 3
    Body type CABRIO
    Steering LL
    Door count 2
    Engine M52
    Cubical capacity 2.80
    Power 142
    Transmision HECK
    Gearbox MECH
    Colour SCHWARZ 2 (668)
    Upholstery LEDER CASUAL/BEIGE (P7SN)
    Prod. date 1997-06-06

Order options
    No. Description
    240 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
    243 AIRBAG FOR FRONT PASSENGER
    277 LT/ALY WHEELS DOUBLE SPOKE STYLING
    314 HEATED WINDSCREEN WASHER NOZZLES
    341 BUMPERS COMPLETELY IN BODY COLOUR
    388 SOFTTOP BLACK
    399 SOFTTOP OPERATION, FULLY AUTOMATIC
    458 SEAT ADJUSTMENT, ELECTRIC. F DRIVER/PASS
    473 ARMREST, FRONT
    481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
    494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
    534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
    540 CRUISE CONTROL
    676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
    692 CD CHANGER I-BUS PREPARATION
    818 MAIN BATTERY SWITCH
    925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

Series options
    No. Description
    214 AUTOMATIC STABILITY CONTROL+TRACTION
    354 GREEN STRIPE WINDSCREEN
    411 WINDOW LIFTS, ELECTRIC
    441 SMOKERS PACKAGE
    520 FOGLIGHTS
    542 CHECK CONTROL
    556 EXTERIOR TEMPERATURE DISPLAY
    687 RADIO PREPARATION
    850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT
    853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH
    961 SPECIAL ENGINE

I have a 2011 WRX as a daily but I drive the e30 325iC in pretty much any weather other than COLD or rain. This will be a 4th (technically 5th, until I sell my truck) car but will be a nice addition to my fleet. I won't be doing a full-blown restoration on this one like I am doing on my e30 (build thread here if you have an hour to burn: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880 ) but I hope to make it a nice summer daily. My WRX gets terrible gas mileage and I have a 100 mile commute but I need the AWD (job requirement) so if I can save miles on it I'll be running it into the ground.

I have seen e36 fluctuate in price and finding good ones is getting harder and harder. With e30 values going up lately I wanted to snag another e36 before values rise and getting a clean and serviceable convertible with a hard top was a nice surprise. It isn't too practical with 2 kids but that is why I have my WRX (and my wife has a TL). Practicality is overrated.

And a shot of my e30, just fun:

Reference, for me:

http://realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?...7-E36-BMW-328i

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/converttops.pdf

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...rtible-Sub-Box

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/

http://www.bavsound.com/Stage-One/Buy-Now/

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1997869-DIY-Installing-a-new-canvas-top

http://jj100d.blogspot.com/2011/03/e...ike-legos.html

H&R Part Number: 29929-1

Interesting door handle option: http://www.hardmotorsport.com/hard-m...-e36-m3-coupe/

Boot options: http://www.mtshiftboots.com/

Leak links:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...nneau-area-fix
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...es-pics-inside

Steering wheel info:
    http://www.frankies-bmw.com/3series/...ring_wheel.php
    Last edited by phenryiv1; 05-23-2016 at 02:24 PM.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    So after 2 weeks or wrangling with the seller over various issues, I finally got the car home yesterday. First the pictures:

So now the story...

The seller had receipts for recent work totaling over $1300, including a clutch replacement. This factored into my decision to buy the car, partially because with no rust, no leaks, and recent major service the remaining issues were relatively minor and not immediate/urgent. I paid for the car (via PayPal) about 2 weeks ago and had to get a ride to pick it up because I can't drive 2 cars at once and it is about 40 minutes form home. The bill of sale listed the seller as responsible for any issues, damage, or repairs that occurred prior to me picking up the car. The seller complained about PayPal fees so I agreed to re-send the money as friends and family to save on fees. Somehow he screwed up the refund process and the money never came back to my account so I assumed that he still had the money. I had a signed bill of sale and a signed title.

When I went to pick up the car last weekend I heard a noise when the clutch was fully pressed. The sound was intermittent (it did not do it on every engagement of the clutch) but I was not going to take the car with that issue, which sounded like a bad/failed throwout bearing. I requested a refund but the seller (in writing) promised to address the issue and to have it fixed. I gave him a couple shops to call and awaited his call telling me how he wanted to address the issue. My preference was a partial refund and I would get the repair done, along with the replacement of all of the bushings and clips in the shifter assembly (which SHOULD have been done when the clutch was done).

All week he dodged my emails, texts, and calls. He then alleged that I had somehow scammed him and messed up his PayPal/bank accounts and that he no longer had the money. After repeated calls to PayPal they assured me that the money was still in his account.

The seller then told me Friday that I bought the car as-is and that he was not going to address the clutch issue at all. Additionally, he said that he would not turn over the key until the money situation (which he created) was sorted out. I opened the hood, removed a few relays to prevent him from moving the car, and told him to enjoy being sued. I then called the local PD to explain the situation, in the event that he tried to make any claims about me damaging the the vehicle or otherwise harming him.

I emailed him to capture things in writing, telling him that I'd be suing him Monday morning and that I had him dead to rights. I have payment receipts, I have an email from him stating that I "own the car" and I have texts captured via Google Voice where he said that he would "get it (the clutch) taken care of" before pickup. He also clearly stated in texts that he was holding the key ransom over his own banking issues.

He responded by stating that he left the key in the car and that he hopes that the money situation works out.

So after all of those headaches, I finally have the car and still have not decided what to do about the clutch issue. I might have to file a goods not as described claim with PayPal over the clutch repair job but I guess we'll see how PayPal handles things.

This is NOT how I wanted to start ownership.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    I cleaned up the hood a little bit this weekend. I also could not stand the plate holder in the front so I pulled that off while I wait for the filler panel to arrive.

The swirl marks are pretty bad so it looks like I'll need to take some action to address those.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    The plate holder is ugly, but looks much better than the hole you created by taking it off. I would have left it on until the parts arrived.

Search eBay for some 17" rims, your string will be BMW OEM E36 17 INCH WHEELS, and variations. I assume you would not stoop to aftermarket wheels, and there are several OEM options available that look much better than the 16s that you have now. You can also make a selection from among some 18" options, but I think the cost for tires will go up significantly, and the options will also be wider, that can lead to other modifications to prevent the tires from rubbing. The E36 wheels in a 17 will be 7.5 wide with a 41 offset, and they will jump right onto the car with no other modifications needed. The 18s will typically go to 8.5" wide or more and cause you to need to roll the fenders to get them to fit. Looking at the E30, you appear to be up to the challenges of wider wheels... I have a '94 with 225/45x17s. I'd have to roll the fenders if I had something like a 235 or 245/35x18, so I suggest you stick with the 225/45x17.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    The plate holder is ugly, but looks much better than the hole you created by taking it off. I would have left it on until the parts arrived.

Search eBay for some 17" rims, your string will be BMW OEM E36 17 INCH WHEELS, and variations. I assume you would not stoop to aftermarket wheels, and there are several OEM options available that look much better than the 16s that you have now. You can also make a selection from among some 18" options, but I think the cost for tires will go up significantly, and the options will also be wider, that can lead to other modifications to prevent the tires from rubbing. The E36 wheels in a 17 will be 7.5 wide with a 41 offset, and they will jump right onto the car with no other modifications needed. The 18s will typically go to 8.5" wide or more and cause you to need to roll the fenders to get them to fit. Looking at the E30, you appear to be up to the challenges of wider wheels... I have a '94 with 225/45x17s. I'd have to roll the fenders if I had something like a 235 or 245/35x18, so I suggest you stick with the 225/45x17.
    The car does not go anywhere at this time...no registration / tags until I am happy with the state of the vehicle. That being the case, I don't mind it not having the center section while it is in transit from getbmwparts.com

I might "stoop" to the right aftermarket wheels- in particular a set of MM11s, which I'd take in 16 or 17.

I'd prefer to stay with 16s or 17s for comfort and cost.

I actually have a set of 235/45/17 tires that I was hoping to use but I don't know that they will fit unless I have the perfect offset.

I have found some OEM wheels that I like but all seem to have an offset that is lower than what I want on an e36. For now I plan to hang on with the stock 16s until I find the wheels that I really want.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Some parts on order to fix the shifter slop based on http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0577 :

ZHP shift knob, since I have really liked the one in my e30. 25117896031
    Trans Shift Bushing (at trans tunnel) 25111222015
    Shifter Cup 25111469397
    Clips (2) 25117571899
    Rod Joint (at transmission) 25117580281
    Garagistic Manual Trans Shift Lever Bushing - Delrin http://store.garagistic.com/e46-oval-shifter-bushings

Last edited by phenryiv1; 11-17-2015 at 10:41 AM.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    New center trim section arrived from getbmwparts.com

After install I realized how bad the other trim sections look so I removed them for some rehab.

Cleaned them up with rubbing alcohol:

Then hit them with a coat of John Deere Blitz Black spray paint. This stuff is great for a semi-matte finish that is durable and colorfast in sunlight. http://www.shopgreendealer.com/John-...2-TY25669.html

Some people like the SEM trim paint but with as well as this has worked for me on past vehicles I am not inclined to change. The first couple coats went on very well:

And the sheen is very good for a trim part:

After that I let is dry overnight and installed it yesterday:

Much better than the plate holder or the gap-tooth look of nothing. Next up will be to remove the side trim and rear bumper trim and to do the same treatment. I may also paint the lower area of the grille/bumper/valance and leave only the "bumper" portion of it gloss black.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Not much to report. The 12V+ Switched in the radio harness is not getting power so no power to the radio. I need to find an alternate 12V+ switched, since the fuse is good and other things that run off of Fuse 44 have power.

Got some H&R Sport springs. They are for a coupe but I only plan to install the fronts (the rear height is acceptable to me) so not a big deal that they are not for a convertible.

Also got a new steering wheel. Euro 3-spoke, in good shape. I have a major rip in the top of the current one or I'd just leave it alone.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    The 235/45x17s should fit fine. I have the DS2 (Style 22) 17" wheel with an ET of 41. They take a 225/45x17, and they fit fine. a 235/45 will fit just as well. The 225/45 is cheaper, so I get them. My wheels are 7.5 wide, if you had a wheel that's 8, then the 235 will fit better, and there's still enough room that you should not have to change anything. There's an outside chance that you might need to hammer a short section of fender liner closer to the fender, but using my car as a guide the 235 on an 8x17, ET41 should fit very well.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    The 235/45x17s should fit fine. I have the DS2 (Style 22) 17" wheel with an ET of 41. They take a 225/45x17, and they fit fine. a 235/45 will fit just as well. The 225/45 is cheaper, so I get them. My wheels are 7.5 wide, if you had a wheel that's 8, then the 235 will fit better, and there's still enough room that you should not have to change anything. There's an outside chance that you might need to hammer a short section of fender liner closer to the fender, but using my car as a guide the 235 on an 8x17, ET41 should fit very well.
    That was my thought as well. If I have to roll the fenders, so be it. I have the 235/45/17 brand new i the garage so I'd prefer to use those over buying 225/45/17 or 235/40/17.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    No real progress but the parts assembly continues. Still not sure if I will do the maintenance and just sell it or keep it. For now, I am not doing anything that does not improve the quality of keeping it AND enhance the ability to sell it and break even.

I got some hood struts installed. Seems like a little thing but it was really irritating to have the hood not stay up. The first set that I ordered were the wrog fit. Seller shipped a second set and this one fit.

My door panel on the driver's side looks terrible. I could live with the tear at the lock and could repair the bubbled trim but the missing pockets will necessitate a replacement panel. Supposedly getting one over the coming long weekend.

Additionally, the seats are crap. Right now they have some good-fitting but tacky covers.

I found a guy selling reconditioned seat covers so I will be trying to get them in the next couple weeks. Whether I sell or keep it, good seats are a necessity.

Lastly my wife did cave in and bought me a cool ///M keychain for the e36.

My Cars
    318IC, X5, 996,Ridgeline
    I have enjoyed my e36 convertible for over 16 years now. Fun little cars. I replace the door panels many years ago. expensive but worth it.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by toplessinokc View Post
    I have enjoyed my e36 convertible for over 16 years now. Fun little cars. I replace the door panels many years ago. expensive but worth it.
    I have been driving my e30 convertible pretty much every day that I can. I can't believe that I waited until my 38th car before owning a convertible. Now I have 2.

My Cars
    318IC, X5, 996,Ridgeline
    That is a neat key chain, Dealer item?

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by toplessinokc View Post
    That is a neat key chain, Dealer item?
    Yes. I don't have the p/n but the Keychain is part of the BMW catalog.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    So not much progress on the car itself but I did make some garage progress to give me more room to work. My QuickJack ( http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipmen...k/BL-5000.aspx ) was constantly in the way of walking around my Daily, plus I needed more room for an M20B27 SETA/2.7i swap with a built 3.73S and a new G260 so I built a small platform for my storage containers, which allows me to stow the QuickJack under the containers. I gained 24" of usable depth in my garage.

Picked up a few parts over the extended weekend. New door panel and nose panel, plus a replacement starter (mine is grinding):

I also picked up a set of wheels for the e36. My buddy bought a 1998 M3/4/5 for rallyX ( http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...llyCross-build! ) and it came with some extra wheels. I am buying the TireRack Motorsports C2 ( http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...7&autoModClar= ) wheels that came on the car to run on the 328iC.

Right now the tires are down to nothing but I have a full set of 235/45/17 Hankook Ventus V12 K110 tires ready to install after the winter.
    Last edited by phenryiv1; 02-29-2016 at 10:49 AM.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    More info, not all of it good.

First off, I ordered the DTP trunk brace. I would have preferred a solid plate and it was a tad expensive but I like the idea of supporting a small vendor.

Next up, I picked up some new front seats. in the pictures they looked tan (Sand). I paid for them and the seller dropped them off at my house while I was at work. Upon inspection, I discovered that they are Parchment.

Nice seats, but useless to me...

More bad news- the nose panel that I bought was not only the wrong period (pre-facelift), it was also Cosmos Black. I needed Schwarz. Fortunately the seller in this instance is local and has another one. Looks like an exchange is in order.

I noticed the issue as I was working on the grille fit. The nose of mine was more messed up than I thought when I first checked out the car.

I started pulling things apart:

Side by side comparison (at this point I had still not noticed the issues):

NOW the issue is apparent:

Since I am going to either re-finish this bumper or replace it with an M3 bumper I went ahead and removed the current bumper:

PO was not good at avoiding curbs:

Last item, I got some leather shift / e-brake boots and an armrest cover from a seller in the UK off of eBay. Quality is good but the fit is off ever so slightly. I intend to steam them to see if I can get the armrest to tighten up a but but at least they are better than the torn and tattered things that I had.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Since I am not terribly familiar with my own interior (as I am on e30s) I went ahead and took some reference shots. I got a line (from here on the forums) on a semi-local black dash and front trim for the interior. I like the black-and-tan interior on the e30 and the all-tan/brown interior on the e36 always looked cheap to me. I had made the decision to convert the center console to all black but now I am going to do the dash, kick panels, and sill trim along with it. E30s have some parts that are black regardless of interior color (dash, sill plates, center console) so swapping all that stuff to black on the e36 will look better, in my opinion.

The seller also has black convertible carpeting. I may not use it but I found with my e30 convertible that hoarding convertible-specific parts is never a bad idea.

My Cars
    E85 Z4
    Interior swap was the very first thing I did to mine, and yes - I went from all beige to black and beige. Got black carpet too, and it transformed the look of the interior. I cut up and threw away the beige carpet - it was pretty trashed....

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by BKKBeemer View Post
    Interior swap was the very first thing I did to mine, and yes - I went from all beige to black and beige. Got black carpet too, and it transformed the look of the interior. I cut up and threw away the beige carpet - it was pretty trashed....
    Any "after" photos?

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Nothing monumental to report but my M50 intake manifold arrived:

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    So I went on something of a parts run...

Originally i was just going to buy a black dash, carpet, and a few small trim parts. I ended up with a complete black interior. The seats are far from perfect but they will be good enough to get me by until I swap on new leathers down the road. Since my seat pans were tan I wanted to get black ones and to do that I ended up needing to get pretty much everything so I just bought the seats, door panels, laterals...everything.

Looks like a fun installation.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Nothing revolutionary but I think that I finally sorted out my nose piece/grille issue. The first grille was the wrong shape and color (cosmos, not schwarz) and the second one was Schwarz but a bad paint job and was STILL the wrong pattern. Apparently at some point a previous owner swapped the nose/grille to a different style...or maybe I am looking at the pictures in these threads incorrectly.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261362

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=529640

At any rate, the grilles that i have seem to fit very few nose pieces and runs to 2 different parts hoarders resulted in no corresponding grilles of any color.

The seller of both "wrong" grilles finally offered to throw in the corresponding grilles for free. The paint is still crap so I will have ot remedy that bu tin the meantime I at least have a nose and grilles.

I was on the fence about black kidneys but this pretty much decided it for me, unintentionally.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Picked up these bad boys:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast