Thread: transmission

My Cars
    1997 740i

transmission

Hello friends. I have a 1997 740i with 123,000 miles. As I do not drive it much ( stored during winter ). I get a hard down shift or sudden lurch forward as I am coming to a stop or just making a turn. After it is really warmed up there is no issues, coming off the freeway and manually shifting down to slow up the tranny shifts smoothly. I was told that I may have to the transmission module re-programmed or possibly have to buy a new one. Look forward to any help I can get, thanks everyone.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    How long ago were the tranny fluid and filter changed. Reprogramming the tranny control module (TCM) would work only under 2 circumstances: the program has been corrupted or BMW (really the manufacturer ZF) has come out with an updated program. I recommend that you find an independent shop that specializes in bimmers and have the TCM scanned for codes. But, I bet the tranny would benefit from fresh tranny fluid and a filter.

My Cars
    1997 740i

transmission

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    How long ago were the tranny fluid and filter changed. Reprogramming the tranny control module (TCM) would work only under 2 circumstances: the program has been corrupted or BMW (really the manufacturer ZF) has come out with an updated program. I recommend that you find an independent shop that specializes in bimmers and have the TCM scanned for codes. But, I bet the tranny would benefit from fresh tranny fluid and a filter.
    Thanks Marco for our insight. I bought the car last year, the owner drove me around the city and out on the highway. The car ran smoothly as for the fluid being changed...not sure but I will get that done. Thanks a lot, will let you know later.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    When you have the fluid changed, make sure it's a full flush and not just a "drop the pan" job. There's a lot of fluid in any auto trans that won't come out of the pan without flushing the whole system.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Six months after having those symptoms (which only got worse) BMW replaced my entire transmission.

Good luck!