Thread: Radiator light

My Cars
    2004 X3, 1998 R1200C

Radiator light

2004 X3, 2.5, 198,000 miles

At about 150k I replaced the entire cooling system (like every single part) and upgraded to a race pump. Now I'm getting a radiator light. Operates at normal temp even in very hot weather.

Checked the water level cold. What else could cause it to throw a light?

CAVE LACERTUS

My Cars
    Landrover
    Take a picture of the light. Is it a coolant level light? Have you changed out the coolant switch? ensured it's plugged in.

My Cars
    z3
    You'll need to be more specific on what a "radiator light" is... is it giving you a check coolant level message?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2004 X3, 1998 R1200C
    This light burns intermittently and I cannot figure out why it comes on. I am assuming this is a radiator. I might be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

It goes off when I turn off the engine and comes on a few minutes after it's been running. Sometimes it goes off while the engine is still running.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I replaced the whole system. Where would I find the coolant switch?
    CAVE LACERTUS

My Cars
    z3
    Looking at your picture again the first thing I'd do is make sure the system is not overfilled. Being overfilled is far worse than being at the "bottom" of the approproate fill range/level.

The coolant sensor is attached to the expansion tank but the first thing I'd do is make sure the system was filled per BMW spec. It should be the same process as this method.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Yes, based on the picture in your first post your expansion tank is overfilled. I would start there by making sure your system is bled of any air and is at the proper level. Only at that point will troubleshooting be beneficial.

My Cars
    2004 X3, 1998 R1200C
    Thanks guys. I added water to it like a year ago.
    CAVE LACERTUS

My Cars
    Landrover
    If you haven't filled in a year it's probably low. Fill with a 50/50 mixture coolant and water. If it still stays on The sensor is connected to the bottom of your expansion tank. It has Two wires. Twist to remove. Another note the coolant low light does not come on if over filled. If you do overfill, the system will purge out the extra fluid when it reaches operating temperature.

My Cars
    2004 X3, 1998 R1200C
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson740 View Post
    If you haven't filled in a year it's probably low. Fill with a 50/50 mixture coolant and water. If it still stays on The sensor is connected to the bottom of your expansion tank. It has Two wires. Twist to remove. Another note the coolant low light does not come on if over filled. If you do overfill, the system will purge out the extra fluid when it reaches operating temperature.
    Thank you!
    CAVE LACERTUS