Thread: 91 e34 535i headlight issue, urgent help please

My Cars
    18 wrx/6, 95 540i/6

91 e34 535i headlight issue, urgent help please

Hello all, ive tried posting a few times in the 5 series section but no luck. Maybe you guys here can help. I have a 91 e34 535i, i upgraded my low beams with a kit to 8000k hid, the kit did not include a warning cancler or anti flicker so my dash says low beam.
    Problem is now they do not stay on consistently, sometimes they dont turn on for a while, an usually stay on once they do. Or they turn on only for a short while an then turn off. An sometimes it comes on an off periodically theres no real pattern.
    I believe this is either cause of a bad lkm or because i dont have the computer cancler/anti flicker ? Either way i work night shifts and need my headlights to stay on. Any help please an thanks, also, im not a electrical smart guy i understand ground wires negative positive ect. Real basic. But it doesnt go further so walk me through how to get to something and i can do it. I can wrench well. I have the money for a lkm and the anti flicker if thats what i need but i dont want to waste money on things i dont need

My Cars
    91 BMW 535i White
    I see that there's no reply to this post? I have the same car and am having the same issue, except I didn't not change anything, it just started randomly. Just as the original poster says here, it comes and goes with no real trigger. Except I do not have a warning of any kind on the dash. Something I noticed that does trigger the lights to come back on is flicking the high beams, or turn signal, but that doesn't always work and actually doesn't seem to work at all now. The issue has gotten worse.

Please help if anyone knows what this is caused by, as I have two kids under 5 in carseats in the back and need to be able to drive in the dark.

Thanks in advance for your help, ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

DONE.... it worked. It was really hard to see that the connections had anything wrong with them to be honest, to the naked eye that is. So I broke out my trusty Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and zoomed in with the camera. BAM, plain as day, each connection had a crack around it, well I'll be damned.

Ran up to the local Home Depot and picked up a soldering gun, some electronics solder, watched a quick video on Youtube how to solder and got to work. I did a pretty decent job for never have soldered before, I think anyway. What matters is it worked, I slapped the LKM module back in the car, left her running for a while and no flicker, the lights stayed on. See image attached of before and after.

IMG_20161209_144201.jpg
    Last edited by LionpackE34; 12-09-2016 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    E36 318is, E36 320ic
    Quote Originally Posted by E34jm984 View Post
    Hello all, ive tried posting a few times in the 5 series section but no luck. Maybe you guys here can help. I have a 91 e34 535i, i upgraded my low beams with a kit to 8000k hid, the kit did not include a warning cancler or anti flicker so my dash says low beam.
    Problem is now they do not stay on consistently, sometimes they dont turn on for a while, an usually stay on once they do. Or they turn on only for a short while an then turn off. An sometimes it comes on an off periodically theres no real pattern.
    I believe this is either cause of a bad lkm or because i dont have the computer cancler/anti flicker ? Either way i work night shifts and need my headlights to stay on. Any help please an thanks, also, im not a electrical smart guy i understand ground wires negative positive ect. Real basic. But it doesnt go further so walk me through how to get to something and i can do it. I can wrench well. I have the money for a lkm and the anti flicker if thats what i need but i dont want to waste money on things i dont need

You may have a defective aftermarket HID kit, remove it and put your standard bulbs back in and see what happens and if the problem persists with standard lights. HID is very sensitive when it comes to wiring connections so make sure your factory E34 wiring and factory connections are in good shape. DO NOT buy Uber cheap HID kits as these generally are made very poorly and will always cause problems. I have supplied good quality HID kits for over 5 years now and in that time I have only ever replaced one ballast and 2 bulbs under warranty.