View Poll Results: The million dollar question...

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • OEM+, OEM look fit and finish but bomb proof.

57 42.54%
  • BMW AUX/USB ports and keep cig lighter?

38 28.36%
  • Cig lighter gone. It's useless anyway. Why not put something useful in.

36 26.87%
  • Something else entirely!

3 2.24%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm developing a new M center console piece.

My Cars
    e36/8, W201

I'm developing a new M center console piece.

And I would like everybody's input on some things. Please keep in mind this is strictly a development thread. If you want information not related to development, please PM or email (Lindsey@NicheMotoring.com) me.

This idea has been a year in the making but I'm finally happy with what I can do with this. Like most people I was frustrated with the OEM shift surround breaking around the AC switch just by looking at it wrong. I am planning on making an OEM+ version that will be kid/drunk passenger/road rage/bomb proof and look completely OEM. I changed a few things with the design to make it much stronger around the switches. How I'm going to make this is get a CNC milled mold made from my design and pressure cast it. CNC milling is still the most dimensionally accurate way to reproduce something next to SLA printing. The only downside to pressure casting over injection molding is the time it takes to make one piece and the cost of the materials but pressure casting makes for a much stronger plastic. I also plan on making some in carbon fiber but that's a few months off and I would also like to get the HVAC/gauge/radio surround piece in carbon fiber as well.

Here's where it gets interesting, I completely reverse engineered it so I can change anything I want on it and not impact OEM fitment. If there's enough of a demand for the cig lighter deleted and USB/AUX ports put in it's place, I can do that fairly easily. The only downside is there has to be enough of a demand for a certain style to make it worth my while make it.

BimmerBreaker had the idea to make another hole on the face somewhere and put in a BMW AUX/USB port. The most logical place would be right inbetween the cig lighter and switches and there is enough room barely. The only problem I see with this is the BMW part is expensive for what it is and has proprietary connectors on the back. It's not out of the realm of possibility to make it work with the DICE/GROM unit and aftermarket head units but it would increase development costs over using something more universal. I'll mock up a few designs with the BMW AUX/USB port and using more universal parts over the next few days.

I can still do custom one off's by having a design SLA printed out of a sturdy material but it's not really feasible for making more than a few.

Fitment test with filament extruder type 3D printer. The 0.2 mm resolution makes this method of production only useful for fitment tests. Everything fits extremely well though. All of the button/switch holes and mounting points have been fine tuned to fit extremely well and match OEM fitment. This one was fairly close to the final version. There's no need to print off a complete one for test fitment of every little piece.

Reinforced around the switch holes vs. OEM.

I was playing around with this as an idea for my MCoupe because I no longer have heated seats or the need for a cig lighter. Producing a custom one off in carbon fiber with an inset ///M wouldn't be cheap but it would be freaking awesome!

The AUX/USB port I'm speaking of.

Last edited by Rabbi Doom; 10-17-2015 at 09:42 PM.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    So awesome, keep up the good work. Love the idea of adding USB/Aux inputs where space allows.

I'm curious how you're matching OEM colors since this piece will be right next to the other center console trim piece. Color matching will be key. Just curious, or will you also make the other center console trim piece that surrounds the gauges/knobs so colors match between them both.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    e36/8, W201
    Quote Originally Posted by sitdownrando View Post
    I'm curious how you're matching OEM colors since this piece will be right next to the other center console trim piece. Color matching will be key. Just curious, or will you also make the other center console trim piece that surrounds the gauges/knobs so colors match between them both.
    A piece of colored trim has to be removed from the car and taken to a place that can color match it in oil based matte paint that can be sprayed through a HVLP gun or get rattle cans made by Dupli-Color. I plan on starting up an interior color matched database that will be available to everybody. BMW never released what the interior color codes are in actual paint codes so it makes matching a pain. I already have gray (Q6TT) and offers for a few other colors.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Coupe

Yes, please!

Great looking product! My panel was broken when I bought the car (currently Superglued) and I haven't been able to find a stock replacement in Oregon Beige, which would probably break anyway.

I vote to ditch the cigarette lighter and I'd favor USB ports since I don't know anybody who smokes, and USB ports take up little room and they charge phones, GoPros, etc. I use a GoPro and my phone on the track, so 2-3 USB slots would be a much better use of space than one cig lighter.

I appreciate OEM, but as soon as you add a USB slot, it no longer looks original, so unless you want to stay 100% faithful to stock appearance, I'd say replace the cig lighter with 2-3 USB slots.

Also, I'd echo another poster's question about whether you plan to try to match material/color with stock interiors. Mine's Oregon Beige, so anything except a replica color/material would be noticeable. I prefer a stock appearance except for the USB instead of cigarette lighter thing.

No matter what you do, much respect for trying to find a solution to the problem.

My Cars
    z3
    I tihnk the later idea I had, to use a OEM size blank (same as A/C or heated seat swithes etc) but with a more universal type custom USB or aux-in (perhaps made by yours truly!) would allow greater flexibility so those who want 2-3 USB ports can have that, those who want USB and aux-in can have that and it'd be easier to use alongside a DICE or similar since it'd be a universal system not BMW specific... and since it'd be OEM switch size, those who just want an extra spot for an ASC switch for an exhaust bypass or something can have that... so 6 OEM size holes instead of the stock 5 holes, this would also allow greater space between each switch, likely making them stronger due to more material, thus less likely to break in the first place (though as I understand your improved version will be less prone to breaking to begin with)

Quote Originally Posted by marchewitt View Post
    appreciate OEM, but as soon as you add a USB slot, it no longer looks original, so unless you want to stay 100% faithful to stock appearance, I'd say replace the cig lighter with 2-3 USB slots.
    My original idea was to use the switch as mentioned in the first post. It is an OEM BMW switch and is 100% plug and play as far as fitment with the rear center location in my coupe... so its about as OEM as it can get. The idea was to put one of these in the center console to make it more centrally located. I imagine at the bare minimum a 100% OEM option will be offered. But as far as other ideas go, I thought this would be very proper... the great thing about this too is that if you dont like the look of the USB, you can buy an OEM BMW Z3 part that replaces it with a blank panel.

Anohter idea I had was to leave most of the panel intact and add an unlock/lock button instead of the cig lighter.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i, 88 325ix
    Where can I get that Aux/USB port? I would love to put that in my e30
    WTB: Factory OEM Rear Spoiler (See Pic)

My Cars
    e36/8, W201
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I tihnk the later idea I had, to use a OEM size blank (same as A/C or heated seat swithes etc) but with a more universal type custom USB or aux-in (perhaps made by yours truly!) would allow greater flexibility so those who want 2-3 USB ports can have that, those who want USB and aux-in can have that and it'd be easier to use alongside a DICE or similar since it'd be a universal system not BMW specific... and since it'd be OEM switch size, those who just want an extra spot for an ASC switch for an exhaust bypass or something can have that... so 6 OEM size holes instead of the stock 5 holes, this would also allow greater space between each switch, likely making them stronger due to more material, thus less likely to break in the first place (though as I understand your improved version will be less prone to breaking to begin with)
    The non OEM but OEM look USB/AUX/spare switch button hole replacement was duly noted in your email and parts are already being researched. That was actually one of my original ideas as well when I first started this. Plus, that would allow people to put it in any switch hole they want. Or even just get the USB/AUX/spare switch blank and replace one of the buttons in their car.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stonea View Post
    Where can I get that Aux/USB port? I would love to put that in my e30
    Google search with the part number.

https://www.google.com/search?q=8410...3GFQeh&dpr=1.5
    Last edited by Rabbi Doom; 10-18-2015 at 01:26 AM.

My Cars
    '08 Alpine White 128i
    Subscribed! Can't wait to see how it turns out, looks awesome so far.

My Cars
    e36/8, W201
    Quote Originally Posted by marchewitt View Post
    Also, I'd echo another poster's question about whether you plan to try to match material/color with stock interiors. Mine's Oregon Beige, so anything except a replica color/material would be noticeable. I prefer a stock appearance except for the USB instead of cigarette lighter thing.
    You could send me a piece of your broken one for color matching or since the whole car interior is beige, you could send me a less important piece like the CD changer cover. I might have another source to color match Oregon Beige as well.

Either way, I plan on making a few different designs, one of them looking OEM with the cig lighter in place, and I also plan on painting them in matched OEM colors or providing a means to match the OEM colors so they look OEM. Otherwise, what's the point? Having a black center console piece in a beige car would look kinda cool in a Harlequin Golf sort of way but wouldn't be ideal.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe, M Coupé
    A few words in favor of the cigarette lighter from a non-smoker...

Like it or not, there are many automotive accessories that draw power from cigarette lighters. Among the most important are things like the M mobility kit. In some cases, these items draw much more power than the USB standard would ever allow.

I really like the USB/AUX switch that's shown here. My problem is that I'd probably want three high power USB ports, but wouldn't want to give up any of the factory options I have that are already occupying switch space in the console.

I'm likely to want at least one of these for my son's M. But we also have a Z which could be more challenging to deal with due to the wood trim.

Great project and a nice reminder that changes in manufacturing tech seem likely to help the community keep our cars going long after corporate interests wane on these cars.
    Last edited by Outrider; 10-18-2015 at 07:14 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Wow, amazing project--a big contribution. I voted OEM; partly because I think one of the charming details of our cars is their age, and the cig lighter contributes to that look, and partly because mine is a '98, so I have an extra switch position that I already filled with a usb port. Of course, I've already replaced the center console piece, but I will buy a back up when it's produced. My replacement was OEM and came in grey primer btw.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    What about reversing the layout so the cigarette lighter socket is on the other side. I hate wires running past the shifter when I'm trying to drive.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Thank you for undertaking this project. I will probably get one from you regardless of the exact details. I also vote for the OEM design -- I think that if somebody wants a USB or Aux input desperately they can fashion one where the current cigarette lighter is. Can't be too difficult to make.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by cngizbleevng View Post
    What about reversing the layout so the cigarette lighter socket is on the other side. I hate wires running past the shifter when I'm trying to drive.
    THIS!!

Okay, and I just have to say: MIND BLOWN! Makes me glad to see new solutions being developed for these cars (that I admittedly love a little too much...).

I too voted OE, and have to agree with Ralph's reasoning; I'm all for making the cars as functional as they can be, but don't want to erase the era that they represent.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    following with passionate interest....

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Two points I will make.
    1. I would never want to get rid of the cig lighter for obvious reasons: charging cell phone, etc. Unless there is a slick way to retain charging ability, specifically quick charge capability, the lighter has to stay.
    2. It's nearly 2016. If you're thinking about doing all of the work involved to wire up an Aux input, why not just take the next step and set up bluetooth audio/calling? There are some really cheap solutions that you can wire up and hide in the available space inside the center console around the shifter. I'm totally against adding things that add wires/clutter.

My Cars
    e36/8, W201
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    I'm totally against adding things that add wires/clutter.
    I'm with you on that but I'm more for adding wires/clutter behind the dash than out in the open. The cig lighter is in a HORRIBLE spot and I never use it while moving because of it. It can be relocated somewhere else in the car as well.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Doom View Post
    I'm with you on that but I'm more for adding wires/clutter behind the dash than out in the open. The cig lighter is in a HORRIBLE spot and I never use it while moving because of it. It can be relocated somewhere else in the car as well.
    Like I said, if someone wanted to make a Quick Charge 2.0 USB port we can put by the defroster switch on the rear side of the arm rest, I'd be all for never using the cigg lighter again.

My Cars
    z3
    Provided that a cig delete panel gets made, I plan on relocating my cig lighter - probably into the coupe storage cubby - so the wires dont make a mess of everything and I still have the functionality it offers. I also plan on using one of these for the cig lighter unit, since its more a power unit type vs. an actual cigarette lighter design

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    e36/8, W201
    Standard USB/AUX Keystone passthrough jacks are cheap and standard. They don't use any proprietary connectors so you can use them however you please rather than the BMW one which uses proprietary connectors on the back and would require a special pig tail just for using it with our cars in general. Also, it looks funny having all that stuff shoved onto the face using the BMW AUX/USB port. I'm pretty sure I've axed the idea to use the BMW AUX/USB. It's just not a solution. It's different sized than the other button holes and just doesn't fit right on the face.

I know I can fit at least two Keystone jacks in the standard BMW button hole, maybe even three with some trimming and gluing them together. Also, the button blanks can be used in other places like in the blank button holes (fmcfad01, I'm looking at you) towards the back of the armrest area.

A rough button blank with two USB holes and a AUX input hole. I'll have to wait until I get some Keystone jacks to see what I can do with them.

I do like the idea of moving the cig lighter to the other side as that also makes more room on the face for a couple of standard Keystone jacks. The face slopes very slightly inward towards the driver side so that makes it difficult to make room for anything else underneath the cig lighter with the cig lighter on the drivers side. I could fit a few Keystone jacks right next to it leaving it on the drivers side but that would make fitment tight and look a little funny. Also it wouldn't look OEM and what would be the point of changing things if I don't change things around completely for the betterment of Randy's sanity.

Last edited by Rabbi Doom; 10-18-2015 at 06:37 PM.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    My vote is OE. I like the idea of ditching the lighter, but that is where my radar detector is plugged in. Only thing is I'm not sure how "painting" with a rattle can will look. I would love it if the plastic was the OE color (or close). Many props for your hard work!
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    e36/8, W201
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    Only thing is I'm not sure how "painting" with a rattle can will look. I would love it if the plastic was the OE color (or close).
    The OEM plastic parts ARE painted. Even the black. I'm personally not going to be painting them with a rattle can. I'm going to be painting them with a HVLP gun. The rattle can idea was for people without painting equipment.

My Cars
    z3
    Can you put two USB plugs under the cig lighter with an aux input? Maybe align the USB plugs vertically, as opposed to horizontally?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    sign me up for the Carbon Fiber Edition
    Maddog

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Doom View Post
    The OEM plastic parts ARE painted. Even the black.
    I did not realize that... *Thumbs up*
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast