Thread: Winter is coming .. Who was i kidding!?

My Cars
    Dreaming of a 335xdriv s

Winter is coming .. Who was i kidding!?

Got my 2011 335 xdrive msport last month thinking awd I'm good for winter..

I so don't want to dd it over the winter months now and thrash it with salt and cinders guys ..

How many of u dd your bmw in the winter ?

My Cars
    1998 m3 5 speed
    I DD my 2011 328xi. 19s with dws contis. The thing is a snowmobile. Just wash it more often and dont worry about it too much. 4 brutal NJ winters and it still looks new after a good cleaning and wax. My 98m3 on the other hand, has never seen snow since new.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci
    I drive my E46 330ci through the winter. Stock optional winter steelies with snow tires, and I rinse it down after every storm.

If you don't want to drive the car in the winter, you're making some sacrifices by having the Xdrive car. I see 3 options:
    1) Use the car for what it was designed to do. Drive it. Just be religious with washing it to minimize corrosion.
    2) Buy a winter beater and put it away before the first storm.
    3) Sell it, buy a RWD 335 and a winter beater.
    -Nick

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
    How many of u dd your bmw in the winter ?
    I cannot afford more than one car so yes, I drive my cars all year round

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Drive mine year round too. Georgia winters are pretty mild, but there have been a few cases where I had fun counting the number of SUVs I passed stuck in the ditches while driving my 328 convertible in to work with a few inches of snow on the roads.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    '99 M3/'93 LMR-3
    I can't imagine not driving my car in the winter, but I also make sure to have real winter tires ready to roll when needed. Mine is only RWD, yet it's great in the snow (with proper tires!), and I just make it a point to clean the underside whenever I wash it. Not much more effort to ensure that I drive something I enjoy all season.

Jonathan
    BimmerWorld
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com
    www.bimmerworldracing.com

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I have a separate car for snow. I've read that properly prepared the z4 does just fine on plowed roads or snow not too deep. However, my beater is high/low 4wd and if I hit or get hit, I don't mind.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2016 BMW M4 Cabriolet
    Up here in Alberta in Canada the winters are harsh but I DD my 335 rwd without issues. If you have good winter tires and wash your car often it's fine. I get told left and right that apparently the world is ending with my RWD Bimmer in the winter but lose count of how many 4x4 pickups I see in the ditch as soon as snow day 1 comes.

I always wash right after a storm and otherwise 1-2 times a week even outside the winter. It becomes a habit to take care of your car.

Just don't get too carried away trying to have fun in the snow.

I have the same issue as you- expensive insurance so having a second car insured is basically having another car payment. Aside from that though my theory is I spend money on my car to enjoy it. Especially if you have an x-drive.
    Last edited by shiftmygears; 10-01-2015 at 10:55 PM.

2008 335i Cabriolet, Special Edition, 6-speed

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftmygears View Post
    I have the same issue as you- expensive insurance so having a second car insured is basically having another car payment. Aside from that though my theory is I spend money on my car to enjoy it. Especially if you have an x-drive.
    My beater doesn't have collision on it, and I get a break from my insurance company to insure two cars. Also, as my 2nd car is driven so infrequently I get another break for the low mileage. The net result is my 2nd car costs about $8/mo. to insure
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    What is "winter"? -Arizona Resident

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The poster could live up in the mountains near Flagstaff. They get snow there.

My Cars
    2016 BMW M4 Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    My beater doesn't have collision on it, and I get a break from my insurance company to insure two cars. Also, as my 2nd car is driven so infrequently I get another break for the low mileage. The net result is my 2nd car costs about $8/mo. to insure
    Ah there you go, as collision is the killer. I have a similar deal with my insurance; takes about 1000/year off my primary vehicle. Just hope you don't doze off and wrap it around a tree.
    Last edited by shiftmygears; 10-03-2015 at 02:16 PM.

2008 335i Cabriolet, Special Edition, 6-speed

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I daily drive my minty 2002 M5 in the winter in the snow belt off of Lake Erie. It is a lot of fun. Decent snow tires are required. Never been stuck outside of my own driveway. People who think they need AWD because of the snow are usually quite mistaken, or are cheap and don't want to buy good snow tires. AWD helps get you moving easily, but it doesn't help you stop or turn.

Also, my parents have daily driven an e38 for the last 14 winters. That car has only ever been stuck in the mud in our front yard.

Salt can undoubtedly do some damage, if you are worried, get it properly undercoated and have fun! Life is too short to not enjoy what you own.
    Last edited by pizzaman09; 10-03-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    '99 M3/'93 LMR-3
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    AWD helps get you moving easily, but it doesn't help you stop or turn.
    Having done back-to-back tests with data, I can attest to the stopping part. I showed nearly a 27-foot difference in stopping distance between good all-season vs. high-performance snow tires (distance would've been even better with studless tires, no doubt). If you think about an emergency stop or a busy intersection, 27 feet is a huge distance. If you're going to drive in real snow, and not just a dusting, genuine snow tires are well worth the investment.

Jonathan
    BimmerWorld
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com
    www.bimmerworldracing.com

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I drive my E30 all year, just swap to winter wheels and tires sometime in late October/early November.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Rub it in.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!