Thread: First BMW advice (used)

My Cars
    None

First BMW advice (used)

Hey guys, first time posting here I'm Phil from oakland, ca
    Looking to buy a first car, and among a few other choices (celica, starion, a4) I've started to look at old bimmers. I'm looking for a RWD drive car that's MT, because I need to learn and I would like to do so with a cheaper car, and then after I'm comfortable, buy a nicer car and turn this one into a drift car maybe? Or sell it. Either way, I was looking for advice on what to aim for, what to steer clear of. Oh and my budget is ideally $3000 or under. I've seen quite a few E28 & E30 bmws, and even a few E36 (is that because they're less reliable?). Oh and I'm not particularly picky about whether it's a coupe, sedan, or convertible. I'd enjoy doing a few tasteful cosmetic & performance modifications. Such as lowering it a tiny bit, maybe adding a chip, and a nicer sound system. But nothing ridiculous like 4 15 inch subwoofers or stancing it (ew).
    Anyways any advice is helpful!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster
    If you have done any searching you will find out the issues with each model, besides the cooling system. Research is the key. When you find out exactly what model you want be patient. A good one will come along.

I had a Conquest for a while. Fun car but you have to be able to work on it yourself. Most people don't know what the car is and don't want to work on it. Very little aftermarket support so you build your own or buy what someone else made. The heads are sensitive to overheating. That's why most of them are sitting. People didn't take care of the cooling system. Popped a head.

With any used car you will get a vehicle that needs some work. Be prepared for that.

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    The E36s aren't less reliable, but they're a bit less nostalgic. They've hit the bottom of the depreciation curve, so $3000 would get you a decent example now. E30s have passed the bottom of the curve and their prices are starting to climb.

You're looking at 20 year old cars, so you'll want to check everything. But some specifics:

Suspension bushings are likely to be worn.

On an E36, or the later E30s with plastic radiator end tanks, find out when the radiator was last replaced. If it's the original radiator or over 100,000 miles ago, expect it to pop any time.

E36 upper shock mounts in the rear are a common failure point.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    You can learn (like in a parking lot) to drive manual under an hour. You may get slightly better with it over time and you may not. I wouldn't let it be much of a consideration towards the type of car you're gonna get.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2006 BMW M5
    I have a 2006 BMW M5 and I am very happy with it.