Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Italian GP @ Monza

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    Some thoughts after going to FP1/2 today and finally hearing the new engines.

First, the new engines aren't so bad in person. The sound itself is good, it really just does need to be louder somehow. They definitely do not record well though, they have a deep throaty growl to them that microphones just don't pick up very well. They're not loud enough to the point where you need earplugs anymore, but you're definitely not able to hold conversation with someone next to you when a car is nearby. I could still hear them from outside the circuit when I was walking over. The GP2 cars are much louder and you can definitely feel those go past you more though, F1 needs a bit of that visceral experience back. The Merc engines probably sound the best in person, Ferrari is up there too. The Renaults sound good too but are quieter. The Honda sounds pretty bad, like someone threw a bag of gravel down a staircase.

If it stays dry it looks like Mercedes is going to run away with this one. They used today as more of a test session than anything while the rest of the field was pushing pretty hard. The Lotus cars looked very very good coming into the first chicane, carrying a lot of speed and able to brake very late. Ferrari is looking very good too, no problems on either car and they should probably get a car on the podium if all goes as predicted. It's actually sad to see the McLaren in person now, JB only ran for a little until his car gave up and Alonso wasn't out so much. The car really looks boring in person too, sad times for them. There should be really great battles between Ferrari, Williams, Lotus, and Force India this weekend, all are looking strong (with Williams looking the least strong out of these).

Will post some pics later, F1 photography is tough.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    TBD
    Thanks Gary, I just finished watching FP1 and FP2.

The Mercs are still clearly dominant - quick laps with low fuel - and long runs with heavy fuel.

I think Ferrari is going to have their work cut out. I think Force India and Williams are looking better on race pace than Lotus. RBR never really got any solid running in - Ric had hydrolic issues and Kvyat too but not as bad) but I think the RBR will do well (better) here. Possibly keeping Ferrari honest unless rain.

If it rains tomorrow before or during quali I think Mercs then Ferrari (Ferrari is running more downforce than either FI/Williams/Lotus/RBR - I wonder if they know something about the weather) then it's going to be a toss up between the others. Since RBR is running with the least amount of downforce I think they'll suffer more in the wet but not as bad as Williams.

Oh and the the Ted and Johnny interview with K-Mag just prior to the start of FP2 was absolutely cringe-worthy.

Hopefully Ferrari can put a spanner in Mercs domination. (this is the first season since Prost was at Ferrari that I'm actually supporting Ferrari ..... how times change).

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    Weather looks like rain in the AM right until the start of FP3, should be a dry quali and race though. They've been predicting rain all week but it's been mostly dry.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    TBD
    Cool, if it's a wet FP3 then it'll hurt Williams the most due to how they run their programs in FP sessions.

Would be great to have a wet quali and a dry race though

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    Some pics from today, walked for 13 miles in total between bus/train to and from the circuit and moving around to different spots/grandstands. I was blown away by seeing the cars fly into the lesmos and seconda variante so close to me, the speed and grip is almost incomprehensible.

Pastor Maldonado - glowing brakes into turn 1 - 2015 Italian Grand Prix FP2
    by Gary Hebding Jr., on Flickr

Kimi Raikkonen - 2015 Italian Grand Prix FP2

Sergio Perez - Curva di Lesmo - 2015 Italian Grand Prix

Sergio Perez - 2015 Italian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel - Seconda Variente - 2015 Italian Grand Prix FP2

Jenson Button - McLaren Honda MP4-30 - 2015 Italian Grand Prix FP2

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Wallpaper-worthy, sir.

Can I request some pics of the FW37, preferably #77?
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Loving it! Well done.

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldUlysses View Post
    Wallpaper-worthy, sir.

Can I request some pics of the FW37, preferably #77?
    I have a few decent Williams pics, I'll get them up later.

Currently downpouring here...

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    Good qualifying, very glad to see Ferrari 2nd and 3rd.

Mercedes reverted Nico to the older Spa engine because of an issue, but Hamilton still has the new unit. If something goes wrong on HAMs engine tomorrow this will be an interesting turn of events.

Some videos from today and one from yesterday, I've got pretty great seats actually:

And a GP2 sound video for comparison

also I saw this when leaving the circuit today

http://i.imgur.com/e4GHl07.png
    Last edited by gary88; 09-05-2015 at 01:08 PM.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    Good qualifying, very glad to see Ferrari 2nd and 3rd.

Mercedes reverted Nico to the older Spa engine because of an issue, but Hamilton still has the new unit. If something goes wrong on HAMs engine tomorrow this will be an interesting turn of events.

Some videos from today and one from yesterday, I've got pretty great seats actually:

And a GP2 sound video for comparison

also I saw this when leaving the circuit today

http://i.imgur.com/e4GHl07.png
    The force india cars sound different from the other mercedes cars, the honda sounds like a baby farting.
    Very cool pics and videos.
    The one with the finnish fans is from qualifying? If so, you guys were shown on the tv coverage
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    TBD
    That's really strange. Hamilton only .3 of a second on pole.

I think Merc is worried about the new spec engine's reliability and must have turned to a more conservative engine map. They were easily 1 second quicker until Nico's new spec engine issues. I think Merc must be worried about Lewis engine tomorrow. The Ferrari engine is definitely better but not 1 second around Monza quicker (such a short/quick lap). I think they may be .5 of a second better which can only prove that Merc is running a conservative map.

So happy thought that someone (especially Ferrari) is challenging the Mercs.

Well done to Kimi too, 5 hundredths. So close.

The start is going to be hugely awesome or total disappointment. Expecting awesome.

Also, so many grid penalties.. about 150+ in total for 6 cars What nonsense. I think Brundle said it best when he said: deduct constructor championship points. Don't give the driver the penalty for a bad engine/gearbox etc. In the old days when a driver could damage and engine (wrong gear/over revving etc) it may have been okay but now, the driver's cannot damage the engine or gearbox (besides binning it).

Oh well, hoping for an exciting start tomorrow which will make for an exciting GP.

Awesome Pics, Gary. Got any decent one's of Vettel?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Got to say I didn't like the looks of the bosses at the Mercs. Asking Hamilton to 'Hammer time'. Made me worried for some time. They're very secretive about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I can hear a little bit of fans booing .... sigh ...

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm ... something about tyre pressures on Lewis and Nico's car that were found to be below the minimum specification.

My Cars
    M42,M60,M62,M62TU
    Damnit kimi. Also Interested to hear what that merc stuff was about.

e34 540i/6 :: e30
    M62/6 :: e30 318is :: c5 Z06

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    It's about the tyre pressures found to be lower than the minimum specs which I believe they said is 19.5psi. It seems that Lewis' left rear tyre fell below by about 0.3 psi while surprisingly Nico's dropped by 1.1 which seems a lot and can have drastic effect on pace. Fia sent out a letter stating that they have checked and verified with a calibrated tyre pressure gauge/monitoring system.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by janders211 View Post
    Damnit kimi. Also Interested to hear what that merc stuff was about.
    +1

Curious if Kimi had a mental lapse or something mechanical happened. He started the out-lap without any troubles as far as I could see. Doesn't he know the clutch's bite point there?

With respect to the Mercs, I thought these were Pirelli's recommendation, not a technical regulation? Are we going to see a 'Roger Goodell' moment in F1?

- - - Updated - - -

No penalties for Mercedes AMG:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120688
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Ok race. Interesting to see Nico's engine go up in smoke 2 laps from the end, but I have to say it would have been more interesting to see Hamilton's 2016-spec engine self-destruct.

I'll bet the inside of Kimi's helmet was filled with some rather, uhm, colorful langauge on the way to the 1st chicane.

Wish Bottas could've gotten past Massa for the last spot on the podium, but oh well.

The Lotus roller-coaster ride continues, double-DNF 1 race after a podium for Grosjean.

1-stoppers are boring.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Today, I learned what catalyst was required for grown man to throw a remote control.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post
    Today, I learned what catalyst was required for grown man to throw a remote control.

Hopefully there were no casualties, human or electronic!
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    TBD
    Urgh.

That's all I'm going to say.

My Cars
    95' BMW 325i
    Well Monza it was fun while it lasted... I'm sure Azerbaijan track will be just as good if not better.

_________USMC 2003-07 0811 & 0814_________

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    Kimi set too aggressive of a clutch setting and the anti stall kicked in. There was a group of 7 hilarious drunk Finns sitting behind me and when this happened they said "eh... maybe next year" then went back to drinking. When Rosberg's engine blew up the entire grandstand I was in started clapping and cheering Kimi had some good overtakes working his way back up the field.

Not a crazy race but an amazing experience being there in person, buying tickets for next year as soon as I can. If it isn't on the calendar then I'm not following F1 anymore. Will put up an album of everything and some videos whenever I finish it.

Track invasion - 2015 Italian Grand Prix

2015 Italian Grand Prix Podium

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by danny123 View Post
    Well Monza it was fun while it lasted... I'm sure Azerbaijan track will be just as good if not better.
    If Bernie does indeed pull Monza off the calendar, he'd be dead in a week.

Of course, I said that about Germany too...and France back in the day...
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    So, if I get this right ... Fia were confused and questioned themselves about whether Mercedes were truly in breach of tyre pressure regulations or not? I'm rather confused as per their statements.

- - - Updated - - -

On the other hand I have to say that the new Mercedes Spec B engine is definitely better and Lewis' car appeared to be much faster than just fast. Kind of unexpected to be honest. Would be very interested to know some of the key details and or changes made to this new engine. Driver of the race for me is Kimi hands down. Despite of his failed launch start he still recovered brilliantly and some great passing maneuvers.

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    Kimi set too aggressive of a clutch setting and the anti stall kicked in. There was a group of 7 hilarious drunk Finns sitting behind me and when this happened they said "eh... maybe next year" then went back to drinking. When Rosberg's engine blew up the entire grandstand I was in started clapping and cheering Kimi had some good overtakes working his way back up the field.

Not a crazy race but an amazing experience being there in person, buying tickets for next year as soon as I can. If it isn't on the calendar then I'm not following F1 anymore. Will put up an album of everything and some videos whenever I finish it.

2015 Italian Grand Prix Podium
    Awesome pictures. What kind of camera/lens were you using to shoot those pictures with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast