Thread: 2004 X3 Electrical Outlets Stay ON after Car shuts Off

My Cars
    2004 BMW X3

2004 X3 Electrical Outlets Stay ON after Car shuts Off

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 BMW X3 and my problem is that the battery (mainly the cigarette lighter) stays on and active even after I have disengaged the key and locked up. I have come back after a while only to notice my dash cam was still active due to the cigarette lighter being active.

In my older cars, everything turned off once the battery was taken out. So this is a bit new to me. Is this something common in BMWs? I want to install a dash cam and I do not want it going on and draining whilst I'm not using it. Any tips out there?

Thank you in advanced.

My Cars
    z3
    Wire the dash cam to a remote power switch not to a constant-on source like the cigarette lighter.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    At least some of the power outlets are powered at all times. If you plug something into the socket, it will operate while the car is turned off. Some models have multiple outlets and (I think) that some of them are switched, and some are hot at all times.

But that's how they work.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2004 BMW X3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Wire the dash cam to a remote power switch not to a constant-on source like the cigarette lighter.
    Got it - thank you. What DIY terms do you think would be the best place to start Googling? I am completely new when it comes to these things so I'll be looking for lots of YouTube/forum advice. Secondly, I assume remote power switch means an energy line that shuts off when key is out of ignition?

My Cars
    2004 BMW X3
    After some searching, I think the best way to handle this is to take an existing power line and split it. It looks like I'll need some energy meter testers as well from some of the YouTube videos... so I'm thinking about just forking over the money to have it done at Car Toys instead of buying all of these individual items. They quoted about two hours of work which doesn't seem too bad. Anyways, thanks for the input fellas! More tips and advice gladly appreciated.