Thread: first bmw?

My Cars
    MK4 Volkswagen Golf 2.0

first bmw?

Okay, i've got a Volkswagen Golf, and I love it and I love the whole Volkswagen Group. However, there is also an F30 3-series in my garage and I absolutely love it. Ever since that, I have been second-guessing my MK4 golf purchase, and considering either an E30 or E36 more and more. The Golf has a brand new engine in it and tons of refurbished bits. I need to know if it's a good idea to consider switching over to a Bimmer, and which model I should specifically consider. Cars are the only thing I spend my money on, and my Golf has been an absolute money pit (over $5,000 spent on repairs in just over a year), so anything would be an upgrade over that. I love driving it, but I hate the new Jetta and Passat so much it makes me want to get out of my VW. Is that a stupid reason? idk, probably. whatever. I still need some advice here. My budget would be like $6,000. I'm not looking for anything pretty. I am good at fixing rust and cosmetic things, I just want something that will run good. I prefer automatic (gasp!) and anything with less than 150,000 miles.
    german cars are way cooler than any other cars, das a fact son

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    $6,000 would get you a very clean E36 as long as you're not after an M3, and would go pretty far on E30s as well. Make sure you get a well maintained example. Any particular questions about them?
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci
    Get yourself an E30. Throw some wheels and springs on it and have fun driving it.
    -Nick

My Cars
    MK4 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
    $6,000 would get you a very clean E36 as long as you're not after an M3, and would go pretty far on E30s as well. Make sure you get a well maintained example. Any particular questions about them?
    I'm very hesitant to leave the Volkswagen group, since I love driving them all so much. But the 3-Series is the ONLY CAR that has ever given me any buyer's regret. Just wondering what normally goes wrong, and how hard are they to maintain?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
    Get yourself an E30. Throw some wheels and springs on it and have fun driving it.
    there's a beige E30 coupe for sale for $3,200 with no rust, a manual, and no problems right near me. Totally stock. Very tempting

My Cars
    05 330i
    Buy the E30. If you like it keep. If you Don't like it , sell it. Seems to be pretty good shape you won't want to pass up.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by colinc1444 View Post
    there is also an F30 3-series in my garage and I absolutely love it.
    But the 3-Series is the ONLY CAR that has ever given me any buyer's regret.
    my Golf has been an absolute money pit (over $5,000 spent on repairs in just over a year), so anything would be an upgrade over that.
    I'm very hesitant to leave the Volkswagen group, since I love driving them all so much.
    You're all over the place. But you sound like a car guy, have $6K to spend, and it sounds like you enjoy tinkering. That says E30, in BMW speak.
    there's a beige E30 coupe for sale for $3,200 with no rust, a manual, and no problems right near me. Totally stock. Very tempting
    As long as you're into the color, that sounds worth looking into. That beige color (Bronzit) has a lot of opponents. What year and model is it? Pics and info?
    -Nick

My Cars
    MK4 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    You're all over the place. But you sound like a car guy, have $6K to spend, and it sounds like you enjoy tinkering. That says E30, in BMW speak.

As long as you're into the color, that sounds worth looking into. That beige color (Bronzit) has a lot of opponents. What year and model is it? Pics and info?
    I am all over the place. Because I get discouraged when I find out I need a new engine, but then I get back in the car and fall in love. Haha it's very complicated. BMW and VW have been the two brands I just can't decide between but I've had this Golf for a few years, which is why I'm looking for E30s. The one in question is a 1984 model, in Bronzit. I actually LOVE the color for some reason. Anyway, it's got 133,000 miles. It's a manual, and it has had all the wear and tear parts replaced just recently.
    00j0j_9apfwxVlxXD_600x450.jpg00m0m_25QtvZlRA3z_600x450.jpg00V0V_70SKY9WiZUf_600x450.jpg

My Cars
    z3
    $6,000 for an E30 seems crazy for me. They definitely have a cult following and a lot of people will see the value in such a car, but I'd rather have a really clean E36 328i, a worn E46 or a beat up E36 M3 for that price. $6,000 gets a lot of car nowadays, I just don't - from a purely objective standpoint - understand why E30s would command such a price premium.

$3,200 for one seems reasonable - but I'd still push for something sub-$3k at the least. For one in good condition that sort of price seems reasonable.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    MK4 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    $6,000 for an E30 seems crazy for me. They definitely have a cult following and a lot of people will see the value in such a car, but I'd rather have a really clean E36 328i, a worn E46 or a beat up E36 M3 for that price. $6,000 gets a lot of car nowadays, I just don't - from a purely objective standpoint - understand why E30s would command such a price premium.

$3,200 for one seems reasonable - but I'd still push for something sub-$3k at the least. For one in good condition that sort of price seems reasonable.
    I totally agree. Anyway, I'm possibly getting my mom's F30 when her lease is up in about a year and a half. She's talking about passing it down to me. I'd better just keep my Golf and waiter the F30 instead of blowing $6k on an E30.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci
    I totally agree. Anyway, I'm possibly getting my mom's F30 when her lease is up in about a year and a half. She's talking about passing it down to me. I'd better just keep my Golf and waiter the F30 instead of blowing $6k on an E30.
    E30s and F30s are so different, they don't even warrant comparison. If you want an E30, an F30 is not even close to being a replacement for one, and vice versa.

One is a classic little sports car with almost no creature comforts and a stripped down driving experience. The other is a modern luxury sedan loaded with modern bells and whistles, run by computers, and extremely complex. They don't drive similar, look similar, or have similar ownership experiences.

A good well sorted E30 is worth every bit of $6K. But there are many E30s that I wouldn't want if someone was giving them to me for free.
    -Nick

My Cars
    05 330i
    E30s and F30s are so different, they don't even warrant comparison. If you want an E30, an F30 is not even close to being a replacement for one, and vice versa.

One is a classic little sports car with almost no creature comforts and a stripped down driving experience. The other is a modern luxury sedan loaded with modern bells and whistles, run by computers, and extremely complex. They don't drive similar, look similar, or have similar ownership experiences.

A good well sorted E30 is worth every bit of $6K. But there are many E30s that I wouldn't want if someone was giving them to me for free.

Also one can be worked on by a hobbyist and the other is much harder.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    z3
    This is in the original post... sounded like he was willing to "settle" for a BMW that was in his budget but he really wanted the F30. So good for him, sounds like he will be getting it soon.
    Okay, i've got a Volkswagen Golf, and I love it and I love the whole Volkswagen Group. However, there is also an F30 3-series in my garage and I absolutely love it.
    E30's are not the "best" to everyone... there are tons of reasons to get a newer BMW over an E30. If its not your taste thats fine, but people's opinions aren't wrong when they prefer a newer BMW...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci
    This is in the original post... sounded like he was willing to "settle" for a BMW that was in his budget but he really wanted the F30. So good for him, sounds like he will be getting it soon.
    Actually, that's not at all what the original post said. It said that he had an F30 in the garage that he loved, and was considering buying an E30 or E36 to replace his VW. If you want to correct people, it usually works better if you read things first.
    E30's are not the "best" to everyone... there are tons of reasons to get a newer BMW over an E30. If its not your taste thats fine, but people's opinions aren't wrong when they prefer a newer BMW...
    Is this portion of the post also directed at me? I didn't see anyone in the thread say that E30's are the best, or insinuate that it's a better car than an F30 (or newer BMW).
    -Nick

My Cars
    02 540i, 02 Duramax
    Quote Originally Posted by justinca540i View Post
    Also one can be worked on by a hobbyist and the other is much harder.
    On top of that, maintenance and repair cost for an F30 is like 300000% more than an E30. I've always liked E30s, IMO they have timeless style and if for whatever reason you're in a pinch (like you have a bad motor mount and the pulley wears a hole in your coolant hose) you can get the motor mount and new radiator hose at advanced auto and not pay an arm and a leg.

My Cars
    MK4 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    Dang guys. Didn't mean to start an argument haha! But I've made my decision. Mostly the reason I wanted to get rid of my Golf, when I think about it, was because I was getting made fun of for it pretty badly. I started driving it to school fairly recently, and I've been stared at and given dirty looks. A few senior guys even called it "a car for gay people" and the girl I gave a ride home to said she hated it (without me even asking her). I wish Volkswagen had a better image, but I'm trying to just like what I like and not worry about it. Don't think I want a BMW just to impress people though- that's not what I'm getting at. I love them just as much as VWs.