Thread: E36 Rust repair

My Cars
    1993 318iS

E36 Rust repair

I'm looking to get some rust fix on the trunk one fender and by the tail lights on my e36. Theres also some touch up work needed a few other places on the car. Does $2000 sound about right?

My Cars
    1996 m3 coupe
    Seems a little steep to me. Why not try and tackle some of the rust repair yourself?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Depends on the severity of the rust, really. You rattled off three areas of rust repair. $700 per area doesn't sound steep at all to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    E-36 325I 1993
    Unless that car has a lot of sentimental value or is a prepped race chassis putting $2000 into an E36 seems stupid to me.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjkearns View Post
    Unless that car has a lot of sentimental value or is a prepped race chassis putting $2000 into an E36 seems stupid to me.
    Please find me someone that drives a BMW older than 10 years old, and has not put $2K into keeping it on the road. I've probably spent $15K on my E36, and it's just a well maintained OE+ car.
    -Nick

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
    Please find me someone that drives a BMW older than 10 years old, and has not put $2K into keeping it on the road. I've probably spent $15K on my E36, and it's just a well maintained OE+ car.
    I think it's a bit different putting $2k in various repairs into a car vs. $2k in rust repair. I don't think anyone said dont spend $2k on an old BMW, rather that spending it on simply a rust repair may not make the most sense.

Personally, I'd think long and hard before dumping $2k into an E36 that is probably at most worth 2-3 times that. Selling the car as-is/parting it out and spending whatever you get for it + the $2k you would have spent on rust repair will likely put you in a much better situation.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Is it stupid to spend $2000 on a vacation?

It's worth it if it makes you enjoy the car more.
    None of these cars are investments.

My Cars
    1986 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    Is it stupid to spend $2000 on a vacation?

It's worth it if it makes you enjoy the car more.
    None of these cars are investments.
    Preach.

My Cars
    z3
    The problem with that logic is $2000 could go a long way towards simply buying a better condition car that doesn't need that sort of work. None of these car are investments... thats true. So why invest more into it than the car is worth?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Because buying a different car can introduce $5000 of some whole new problems.
    It's like trading an alcoholic wife for a new wife who turns out to be a reckless spender.

All that matters is if the owner feels the joy of the rust repair exceeds the pain of parting with $2000.
    Doesn't matter is the car is worth $2000 or $20,000. The money is gone either way.

My Cars
    1998 m3 5 speed
    Agreed. If getting rid of the rust will put a smile on your face everytime you look at, go for it.

My Cars
    97 ///M3, 02 330XI
    Hell I just had my E36 M with 225,000 miles on it repainted this year. With all the new parts & paint I have like $6500 in it. New front fenders, front and rear bumpers, completely new rocker on passenger side because who ever previously repaired it did a shit job. OnTheFence nailed it on the head. With all of the money I have dumped into this car I could of bought something newer but, I could of ended up with more problems. I love the car, it is a blast to drive and at the end of the day that is all that matters to me.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    Because buying a different car can introduce $5000 of some whole new problems.
    That is quite an assumption... I can't imagine much on an E36 that would necessitate $5000 worth of repairs.

If one can justify it for emotional/attachment reasons thats completely understandable. But from a financial standpoint I think its really hard to justify a $2000 rust repair on a car worth, on average, about $4000. I don't see the argument that any other car will have some crazy amount of repair work needed holds much water. That is why you do a PPI and research what you are buying before buying it.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 10-04-2015 at 01:12 AM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL
    BB: Would you do any other $2000 repairs on a ~$5000 car?

Financial sense dictates we should all drive beater honda/toyotas, never repair them unless its less than 10% the value of the car, and buy new ones when they die.