Thread: Top Tier Gasoline ?

Top Tier Gasoline ?

For the longest time (according to the internet) Arco was a brand of gas to stay away from.

Now it is 2015 and Arco, as well as Shell, Chevron, etc have the Top Tier label.

I keep using Safeway because we get discounts for shopping there though there is no Top Tier label.

Some gasoline resellers, like Safeway, get their gas from the same plants (sometimes) as Shell, Chevron, etc, it all depends on whose selling the cheapest, though Arco is labeled as "quality" label now in 2015.

Why avoid it?
    Last edited by xLukas; 08-20-2015 at 04:37 PM.
    Follow my Instagram to see what I'm wrenching on: @xlukaslw

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Is it time for this discussion already?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by xLukas View Post
    Why avoid it?

Do what makes you happy.

I don't buy gas from a food store and I don't buy food from a gas station.

Good luck!

Well, that helps.

Bump

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    I always buy gas from the Kroger here. They seemed to have partnered with Shell in the area, as they both offer up to 10c off /gal using your points. They just happen to be a lot closer than the shell station and I can get 20-30/gal at Kroger vs a max of 10 at Shell.

So using that; my logic was the gas is coming from the same spot. Around here Shell is usually 5-10 more expensive and on top of that they charge the most to upgrade to premium. I just avoid it on that principle alone.

My Cars
    z3
    At the end of the day, give or take - gas is gas. 87 octane is 87 octane no matter where you get it from, the only difference in different companies is the detergents they put in it. My cars run most of the time on 91 octane from Fry's (grocery store). It's the cheapest in town and I've never had any problems with it after 60,000+ combined miles in my various cars. Costco gas is even "top tier" and so is Valero which isn't usually renowned as being quality gas. I regularly go on roadtrips to California and have to do hundreds of miles on completly off-brand gas. Never had a problem.

Use whatever gas you prefer. Gasoline preference is 90% subjective. If its something you worry about, carry around some Techron or something similar to dump in with the gas whenever you buy gas that isn't top tier.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Yup and given the direct injection nature of newer engines the detergents that are in there to clean the valves never actually get to hit the valves anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2000 buick century
    the only thing i look for is ethanol free gas. ethanol attracts and absorbs water, which will cause problems. around me the only place with ethanol free gas, is sinclair and its only their premium.

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    At the end of the day, give or take - gas is gas. 87 octane is 87 octane no matter where you get it from, the only difference in different companies is the detergents they put in it. My cars run most of the time on 91 octane from Fry's (grocery store). It's the cheapest in town and I've never had any problems with it after 60,000+ combined miles in my various cars. Costco gas is even "top tier" and so is Valero which isn't usually renowned as being quality gas. I regularly go on roadtrips to California and have to do hundreds of miles on completly off-brand gas. Never had a problem.

Use whatever gas you prefer. Gasoline preference is 90% subjective. If its something you worry about, carry around some Techron or something similar to dump in with the gas whenever you buy gas that isn't top tier.
    This is correct. We buy a concentration and combustion octet, by law 87 must meet the minimum 87 octet and be present at a minimum %. All of the advertising about Techron bullshit, is the filler in the gas (detergents) none of which affect combustion just waste out the tail pipe. I'd like to see the HC counts on a sniffer at a smog station for different gasoline, that would be a pretty cool experiment.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    the only thing i look for is ethanol free gas. ethanol attracts and absorbs water, which will cause problems. around me the only place with ethanol free gas, is sinclair and its only their premium.
    You can typically find ethanol free gas at marinas. It is used a lot for boat fuel where engines sometimes sit for long periods of time.

My Cars
    2000 buick century
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    You can typically find ethanol free gas at marinas. It is used a lot for boat fuel where engines sometimes sit for long periods of time.
    Marine gas is usually 2-3x the price. Just look around for stations that advertise ethanol free gas

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Marine gas is usually 2-3x the price. Just look around for stations that advertise ethanol free gas
    True. For some it may be the only option.

My Cars
    z3
    For some there is no ethanol free option at all and the difference is really negligible for most anyways. In my area there are no marinas nearby, nor are there ethanol free gas stations

Use pure-gas.org to find ethanol free stations if you wish to do so

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    I used to only pump at certain gas stations ... and then I decided that I had more important things to worry about. I can't tell the difference and neither can the car: I fill it when it's close to empty, wherever I happen to be.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    And I can only normally find 90 octane versus 93 octane.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2000 buick century
    Another thing I'd avoid is filling after the truck has been there to refill the tanks. It stirs up all the crap and crud in the tanks. Yeah, they have filters, and the car has filters, I just prefer to wait two to three days for everything to settle again.

An alternative to ethanol free is race gas. Some auto parts stores stock it(the Napa in my neighboring town does) it is on the spendy side, but is high octane, and ethanol free. Just double, triple and octuple check that it is LEAD FREE.

If you know anyone in the area that is in to dirt biking they might have a good idea of where sells race fuel.

Honestly, unless you're in the mountain states that have a high elevation, just run the recommended octane. High elevation can get away with lower octane because the thinner air.

Lately 76 a couple miles down the road has been selling premium for a good price. I'm glad because 76 has good detergents.

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    Lately 76 a couple miles down the road has been selling premium for a good price. I'm glad because 76 has good detergents.
    Where is the data for "good detergents". Is that a statement like saying, doctors haven't diagnosed a donut as bad for you, so therefore donuts must be good for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyropete82 View Post
    Where is the data for "good detergents". Is that a statement like saying, doctors haven't diagnosed a donut as bad for you, so therefore donuts must be good for you?

Every gasoline forum member's say they have good detergents. They may or may not be better than any other Top Tier gasolines, the thought is nice nonetheless.

My Cars
    I would prefer ethanol free. If I filled boat on the water, it would be, although a dollar more per gallon. Obviously you couldn't fill your car there. No one has ethanol free gas close to me. I guess in my cars it doesn't matter. But, before I park my boat for the winter, I'll be filling with ethanol free and adding a bottle of stabil while it sits until spring.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyropete82 View Post
    It's the same gas as Chevron as Chevron bought Union 76 years ago. Chevron's Techron is a highly effective detergent.

My Cars
    1999 528i
    I use sunoco if I go to shell or mobil my car doesnt run good highest octane all the time

So, Top Tier gas should all have at least decent detergents... (yes, including Arco)

That's what you'd think at least. Shouldn't that label have a meaning?

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    So, Top Tier gas should all have at least decent detergents... (yes, including Arco)

That's what you'd think at least. Shouldn't that label have a meaning?
    Dunno, do you buy your shoes at Macy's or Nordstrom? Same shoe, 20% higher at one store verse the other