Thread: Buying 1986 325ES, Value?? HELP

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i e30

Buying 1986 325ES, Value?? HELP

Hello everyone,

I recently came across a red 1986 BMW 325es with ~150,000 miles for sale. Here is a recap of the car:

3rd gear does not work however, you can drive it simply skipping 3rd and going into 4th.
    Comes with a separate working transmission.
    Exterior, decent paint. No rust, few scratches
    Interior, all original. Cracks in dash and rips in seats. Windows do not go up or down, modern radio.
    Mechanical, newer timing belt and water pump.

I am not familiar with the "es", is that the modern day BMW "M package"? and how rare are the e30 325es ? I noticed the steering wheel has the M colors and the shifter has an M emblem. In addition, the seats look a bit different than the standard e30s, and it has a rear spoiler. He is asking $1900, which includes the new transmission. Is this worth my time or should I pass? Any input would be greatly appreciated, I am going to look at the car tonight.

Jake

- - - Updated - - -

BMW1.jpgBMW2.jpgBMW3.jpgBMW4.jpg

My Cars
    1987 bmw 325e coupe
    I picked up my '87 325e with 110k miles(which I found was close to accurate after doing a vin history check) I got her for 1500 and everything worked except cruise control. Ended up having to swap the tranny around a year later though. Does the odometer work? Usually they go out. What do you mean by "newer" timing belt? I'd have a knowledgeable mechanic check out the car first. Then try to talk the seller down.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i e30
    I have not personally checked the odometer yet. In regards to the timing belt, I am just taking his word at this point. The seller is himself a mechanic with a few other e30s, his story for selling this one is he has too many and not enough time.

My Cars
    1996 BMW E36 318is
    The es had a few extra features. I have an 86 and love it.
    third gear
    Might be something simple like changing the bushings. I would go for it.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    The 'e' engine is a lower RPM/higher torque efficiency oriented engine compared to the 325i. It is less powerful. The 's' is primarily a dress up package although more likely to be optioned up. It probably has a limited slip diff but nothing is guaranteed.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    87 Cabrio
    To add t what richardodn stated, the ES is reasonably rare as it was only manufuctured for 1986 and part of 1987 when it was replaced with the 325is. It should have leather sport seats with adjustable thigh extension, m-technic steering wheel,power everything, ES spoiler with NLA fog lights and mounting brackets (the fogs and brackets are really rare as is the es spoiler. It also has a rear spoiler on top of the trunk and es badging on the trunk. It should have AC, OBC computer, triangle tweeters in the doors and sport springs (likely tired by now anyhow). From pics, yours looks like it has all the es acroutements. run the vin to see whether you have a LS diff and to see if if was a genuine es or if someone added the various components to make it appear like an es. The spoiler is the dead give away.

My Cars
    '86 325es, '02 530i
    I have an '86 es, and to my memory, the only two options were leather seats and the eight speaker sound system. Looks like a decent deal. It looks also like it's been repainted- The side mirrors were black from the factory. Also, where are the windshield wipers? My car had an issue where you couldn't put it into 2nd or 4th when I bought it (I think that's partially why the guy sold it to be for $600). It turned out the bolts that hold the sifter linkage forward, had backed out. All I had to do was tighten them, and It shifts great now. I'm not sure if it would be the same for 3rd. Did the guy say how 3rd began not working?
    The windows were yet another issue I had with my car: turns out the "safety" switch on the dash was broken, so I just jumped the two wires, and they worked.
    Last edited by samtheman48; 08-14-2015 at 03:36 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci
    The price seems commensurate with the condition. The interior looks pretty trashed. The bumpers have been rattle canned black (they're aluminum under there), as have the kidneys, there's no radio in the car. I'd say you'd have a bit of a project on your hands. But that's a great color combo, and a good starting point for sure.

I too have an 86 325es. They're fairly rare, as mentioned above. FYI, the mirrors could've been replaced. I bought a set of body colored mirrors and put them on my car. I prefer them. I love the car. They're all optioned out nicely (power sunroof, power mirrors, upgraded sound system, sport seats. Mtech 1 steering wheel, ES valance, rear spoiler, onboard computer, etc.)

The 2.5i engine is indeed more powerful. But the 2.7ETA in the 325es has decent power and nice torque. I put a Turner/Conforti chip in the car, and it woke the top end up a lot. It was $100 used, and made a noticeable difference in power. Throw a chip and exhaust (just have a shop weld something up) at the car and you'll be happy. If you need more power than that, put a 24V swap in it.

Here's some encouragement. My 325es when I bought it, and as it sits now:

-Nick

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
    The price seems commensurate with the condition. The interior looks pretty trashed. The bumpers have been rattle canned black (they're aluminum under there), as have the kidneys, there's no radio in the car. I'd say you'd have a bit of a project on your hands. But that's a great color combo, and a good starting point for sure.

I too have an 86 325es. They're fairly rare, as mentioned above. FYI, the mirrors could've been replaced. I bought a set of body colored mirrors and put them on my car. I prefer them. I love the car. They're all optioned out nicely (power sunroof, power mirrors, upgraded sound system, sport seats. Mtech 1 steering wheel, ES valance, rear spoiler, onboard computer, etc.)

The 2.5i engine is indeed more powerful. But the 2.7ETA in the 325es has decent power and nice torque. I put a Turner/Conforti chip in the car, and it woke the top end up a lot. It was $100 used, and made a noticeable difference in power. Throw a chip and exhaust (just have a shop weld something up) at the car and you'll be happy. If you need more power than that, put a 24V swap in it.

Here's some encouragement. My 325es when I bought it, and as it sits now:

How'd you change the bumpers to euro ones? I jave the same exact car but was wondering how you do it?

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    You need an euro valence for the front. Rear bolts in.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...