Thread: issues with my first BMW

My Cars
    E90 320d coupe

issues with my first BMW

Hi all, ive just bought my first BMW, a 57plate 320d coupe, lovely car but its got a loose steering feel. Also the handbrake is truly awful, but pads and rotors look ok.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Ivor, we need a bit more info. How many miles/kms on the car. When you say the steering is loose, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying the handbrake doesn't engage or it doesn't prevent the car from rolling? We are smart, experienced owners, but none of us are mind readers!

My Cars
    E90 320d coupe
    126k miles.
    Steering feels too light and sensitive, ok in corners but on the motorway the front feels like its floating. Dampers seem fine and look quite new. No leaks. No play in steering and no play in wheel bearings.
    Handbrake engages normaly but wont hold the car to a point were i can push the car with handbrake on. Max handbrake lever travel is 4 clicks.
    Thanks

My Cars
    Two, Two BMW's hahaha
    Have you looked at your front sway bar links?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    That floating feeling could be several things. If check for play in the tie rods. Tie rods typically last 100k miles or so. Also, bushings in the front suspension could be shot.

The parking brake needs adjustment. I bet there's supposed to be more than 4 clicks of movement. There are 2 ways to adjust the parking brakes:
    - remove the cover on the parking brake lever and tighten the 2 nuts. Don't over tighten as you'll end up with always on brakes!
    - use a flat blade screwdriver to rotate the star adjuster in the rear drums (the drums are part of the rear rotors).