Thread: Because the X3 forum is useless, I crosspost here...

My Cars
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    ...and hope for at least one solid reply in a mudslide of troll poasts.

New country, so new (to me) car. Considering a used X3 manual diesel (also considering a used diesel 1 series). What should I be on the lookout for?

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Clarkson didn't like the X3, that's all I need to know.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post

New country, so new (to me) car. Considering a used X3 manual diesel (also considering a used diesel 1 series). What should I be on the lookout for?
    For an E30.
    No one likes the X3.

Edit: good thread about the X3
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...e-feedback-pls
    Last edited by 323i E30; 08-10-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    Do you need awd? 5er wagon?

My Cars
    06 330i, 88 M3
    The E90 diesel we rented in Germany is one of the best cars I've driven from a day to day driver's standpoint. In the old world over there, I'm sure that you can get a wagon if you like that layout.

Keep in mind that the first gen X3 was based on the E46, and maybe not fully up to the standard you may expect.

If you want an SUV, the X5 diesel probably isn't that much more thirsty.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman

It should have an X and a 3 on the back, and the motor should kinda chug a little. The stick thingy in the middle sorta between the front seats should be wobbly and not just move straight up and down.

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    I wouldn't get one (two of my neighbors had them and I wasn't impressed), but if I did it would not have the sunroof.

My Cars
    BMW
    Here's a tip for ya. Don't get the diesel.

My Cars
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by prash View Post
    Why not?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by prash View Post
    Why not?
    He just wanted to give you the tip, he doesn't care if you get a diesel.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    I had a 2007 3.0si for a few years. It was for my wife, and even she did not really like it despite it not giving her any trouble whatsoever. It was just bland.

It wasn't slow, but the transmission (auto) would hunt, especially cresting hills at low speed. It just would do weird things, I guess to maximize MPG and try to have some power at the same time. MPGs weren't that great though, interior was really plastic and tinny, and the build quality was about on par with an E46. It also just looks and drives wimpy, compared to her E53 X5 4.4is that we had prior. We sold it and got a Cayenne S, which I would not say is way better from a practical point of view, but she prefers owning it. Ride was not as bad as they say in reviews. If you get a later one it seemed OK as far comfort. I think an 06/07 for under $9K now is a screaming deal...see them all the time for cheap on CL, but again its not very exciting or fun to own.

Last edited by IslandS62; 08-10-2015 at 03:38 PM.
    997 Carrera 2S..the choice of 2 out of 3 Top Gear presenters.

My Cars
    Needs more money
    Defender is the answer, because you can.

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandS62 View Post
    It wasn't slow, but the transmission (auto) would hunt, especially cresting hills at low speed. It just would do weird things, I guess to maximize MPG and try to have some power at the same time.
    You likely had an issue with your transfer case. They are known to have come low with fluid from the factory and many shops did not catch this before delivery, also most never change the transfer case fluid. I have had many of these strange symptoms disappear with a mere transfer case fluid change.
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmbmw View Post
    You likely had an issue with your transfer case. They are known to have come low with fluid from the factory and many shops did not catch this before delivery, also most never change the transfer case fluid. I have had many of these strange symptoms disappear with a mere transfer case fluid change.
    That sucks. We never passed 40k miles, so you are right, I never had any transmission service. The tranny was my biggest gripe with the car, but oh well, its gone now.
    997 Carrera 2S..the choice of 2 out of 3 Top Gear presenters.

My Cars
    Assorted
    My wife had one, though not diesel. Never an issue with it. Wasn't the fastest thing around, but was reasonably comfortable around town. The
    RIP- Team Jess

Quote Originally Posted by spez7 View Post
    I normally hate everything pup says
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rat6587 View Post
    I hate you pup

My Cars
    Golf R & S10 ZR2
    Probably the least desirable BMW.
    lol

My Cars
    '04 M3/MT Coupe,'04 X3
    Wifey has 265k on her '04 3.0A and we love ours. Transfer case fluid was in fact low when I changed it the first time. Otherwise standard BMW maintenance. It's or road trip car and still gets 25mpg+. It's the most sure footed vehicle I've ever seen in snow and ice.
    -Aaron
    2004 M3 - Coupe, 6spd, Silver Grey on Black
    | RAC RG63, PSS, ZCP Brakes, aFe, SS (V1, Res. X-pipe, Street Muffler), Epic Alpha-N, 319whp |
    2006 Jetta TDI/DSG, Pkg 2, Silver on Black - Sold
    2004 M3 SMG - Silver Grey on Black, Convertible - RIP
    1995 525I 5spd - Black on Black -Sold
    2004 X3 3.0i AT- Blue on Tan - For the wife....

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandS62 View Post
    I had a 2007 3.0si for a few years. It was for my wife, and even she did not really like it despite it not giving her any trouble whatsoever. It was just bland.

It wasn't slow, but the transmission (auto) would hunt, especially cresting hills at low speed. It just would do weird things, I guess to maximize MPG and try to have some power at the same time.
    I had a 2007 3.0si for a few years, too. Not only was there the transfer case thing mentioned above, but I believe there was actually a software re-flash (?) campaign. IIRC, service departments were instructed to only service the campaign if the customer complained about the transmission hunting. After I got the re-flash, things were much better.

My Cars
    Azn Ruxury
    We like ours so far. '06 with 115k miles. Enthusaist owned and maintained well. Granted it's no diesel and an auto. Don't tilt the pano roof. Otherwise, by all accounts it seems like a nice little vehicle for le wife to get around.
    xoutpost.com is a fairly decent resource for info on the X series.

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    They gave me an X3 as a loaner, once.

It'll be perfect if you're upgrading from a lesser cute-ute; a Suzuki Vulva, for example.

My Cars
    E63 AMG, RRC
    Not a huge fan of the first gen X3's... However we did recently test drive a new 2015 diesel and it was quite nice! Almost hard to distinguish from an X5 looks wise and the interior was well appointed.

Being in the UK though I would be way tempted to rock something more awesome like a tdi defender or classic RR with a manual transmission!
    2012 Audi A3 TDI
    1975 Range Rover
    2022 Tesla M3P
    1987 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda CT-90 Trail

My Cars
    Cayenne S, Triumph 1050
    Quote Originally Posted by crotter View Post
    Not a huge fan of the first gen X3's... However we did recently test drive a new 2015 diesel and it was quite nice! Almost hard to distinguish from an X5 looks wise and the interior was well appointed.

Being in the UK though I would be way tempted to rock something more awesome like a tdi defender or classic RR with a manual transmission!
    this is exactly what I was thinking...were I in the UK, I'd be looking to drive something I couldn't get here at all....no idea what, but that would be my goal.

My Cars
    BMW
    Why not?
    Because the I-6 M5x motors are the best thing about first gen X3s. If you're want a diesel get a 4cyl Jetta wagon.

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmbmw View Post
    A good condition e83 with an m54 is a relatively low maintenance car when compared to.. Well just about any newer BMW product
    You're a tech, right? You would recommend an m54 over an n52?

Honestly, I think the e83 is a fantastic vehicle. I know people think they're boring, or the ride is too stiff, or the interior is cheap... whatever. I think they were priced a little too high when new.

Didn't care for them at first, but the vehicle really grew on me. The chassis is extremely rigid and the suspension is firm, which I really like. They are easy to drive, like a car; almost to the point they are toss-able. It's the only vehicle I've been pulled over by the cops test driving while working. Didn't realize I was hauling ass. Got a warning...

They are mostly trouble free and very durable, especially compared to other BMWs. Just keep in mind, it's not supposed to be a sport car or a luxo-liner, it's a UTILITY vehicle. I like the size of them too. I would never want something the size of an X5.