Thread: M4 vs E92 M3

My Cars
    94' 530i/5

M4 vs E92 M3

The next BMW I will most likely pursue is an M car, I love the new M4 and the E92 M3. There are distinct differences between the two, I6 vs the V8. Also the fact that this is the first M4, but keep in mind the E92 M3 will likely be the only M3 to ever feature a V8. From an enthusiast and collectors perspective which one do you guys think will be hotter in 20-30 years? Along with which one you guys prefer now (For whatever reason)? I'll probably drive the hell out of mine and put 200K on it, this thread is basically just comparing the two, different opinions and drawbacks of both.

1. I6 vs V8, with the E92 being the only V8 M3 will it increase it's value down the road?
    2. The F82 will be the first M4 in the lineage, that could cause it to have a certain allure to it. (Similar to the E30)
    3. I've read somewhere that the manual take rate of the E92 is around 25% give or take, are we assuming the manual will be more valuable? Or is that trend changing?
    4. Does the release of the M2 hurt the future M3/M4 cars? (As BMW could be watering down their market)
    Last edited by H0lladay; 08-01-2015 at 09:13 PM.

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    Sounds like you're looking to put this car in a bubble. In for pics!

My Cars
    z3
    I think the ones that will be worth something in 20-30 years are the limited production versions. They made tons of these cars, run of the mill models arent likely to ever appreciate above what you pay for one now when accounting for inflation unless you are talking about a <5000 mile example that you won't add mileage to. But whats the point in doing that? Life is too short. Get a car you can enjoy, and enjoy it.

M2 watering down the market lol? The M2 is what M is all about. M cars aren't designed to be collector cars. They are driver's cars and the M2 will be the best of the bunch. The 1M which NEVER sold below MSRP certainly didn't hurt the M market.

Personally I think you are considering buying one of these cars for the wrong reasons... but to each their own. If you really want to buy one on a hope and a prayer that it might appreciate, buy a limited edition model.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    94' 530i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by KevRC4130 View Post
    Sounds like you're looking to put this car in a bubble. In for pics!
    Lol, nah. I wouldn't, but some people would.

- - - Updated - - -

Not at all, I want one for the driving experience. I'll daily it if I like driving it that much. I was just creating questions for people that WILL put this car in a bubble and wait to sell it 30 yrs later lol.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    There will be too many of these cars to become collectors. It's not like the E30 where they only made a relative handful. They are cranking out over 40k units per year.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    94' 530i/5
    I didn't know the # was that high, in that case these should be relatively cheap in a few years and probably won't bounce back in price that much.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    These are all losing "investments".

My Cars
    2010 BMW 128i M Sport
    Just look at the E9x M3s, most can get bought for relatively affordable prices now. It will be a long time until they can be considered straight up collector cars.