Thread: Brand New To BMW!

My Cars
    MK4 Volkswagen Golf 2.0

Brand New To BMW!

Hi everyone! Okay... bear with me here. I'm 17, a pretty standard car enthusiast. I'm normally a Volkswagen guy, so when my 15.5th birthday rolled around I shelled out $3500 and picked up a super nice second hand MK4 VW Golf 2.0. Shortly after, my mom bought an F30 BMW 328i xDrive with the M-sport pack. I drive it more than I drive my VW. I love it. I'm finally joining the forums here for BMW, and I'm interested in learning more about them. I know how all the generations work (e21, e30, e36, e46, e90, f10, etc) for all the series of models. Since I'm gunna start getting more into BMW in addition to VW, is there anything interesting I should know? Any general cultural BMW trends or rules or things like that? Cars BMW makes/made that nobody likes (it was the Routan for us VW people)? I have no friends or family that are BMW people so I'm in the dark here when it comes to being a part of this whole scene (even if I myself do not own a BMW directly). Thanks!
    Last edited by colinc1444; 07-30-2015 at 03:05 PM.

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    Welcome to bfc....um, you celebrate your birthday twice a year?

Kidding aside, read up all you can in this forum, lots of great info. Save your money, as these things require a lot of maintenance if you do get one.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by colinc1444 View Post
    ...is there anything interesting I should know?
    VW doesn't make the z4 or anything like it.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    MK4 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech1 View Post
    Welcome to bfc....um, you celebrate your birthday twice a year?

Kidding aside, read up all you can in this forum, lots of great info. Save your money, as these things require a lot of maintenance if you do get one.
    haha I didn't celebrate a half birthday, it was when I was 6 months exactly from driving- and my parents told me I could find myself a car

- - - Updated - - -

Very true. I like Z4s a lot. I saw yours, looks really cool and the color is beautiful!

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Hi everyone! Okay... bear with me here. I'm 17, a pretty standard car enthusiast. I'm normally a Volkswagen guy, so when my 15.5th birthday rolled around I shelled out $3500 and picked up a super nice second hand MK4 VW Golf 2.0. Shortly after, my mom bought an F30 BMW 328i xDrive with the M-sport pack. I drive it more than I drive my VW. I love it. I'm finally joining the forums here for BMW, and I'm interested in learning more about them. I know how all the generations work (e21, e30, e36, e46, e90, f10, etc) for all the series of models. Since I'm gunna start getting more into BMW in addition to VW, is there anything interesting I should know? Any general cultural BMW trends or rules or things like that? Cars BMW makes/made that nobody likes (it was the Routan for us VW people)? I have no friends or family that are BMW people so I'm in the dark here when it comes to being a part of this whole scene (even if I myself do not own a BMW directly). Thanks!
    Welcome to the club. You will find here that there generally is a lot of love for all models, the sub forums are pretty active. Have fun looking around, lots of good info around here.

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    MK4 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    Thanks! Everyone here seems really nice. Quite different from the MK4 forums where everyone hates you unless you modify your car to their exact standards.
    german cars are way cooler than any other cars, das a fact son

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Thanks! Everyone here seems really nice. Quite different from the MK4 forums where everyone hates you unless you modify your car to their exact standards.
    We're actually assholes too! LOL

Welcome to the forum; hope you join the BMW owner clan soon.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318i
    Welcome to bfc, its your car and your money and your style is what I say. Everyone has their own taste and judging other for not having it a certain way isn't right. Now go get a bmw and dive head first lol.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quite different from the MK4 forums where everyone hates you unless you modify your car to their exact standards.
    Here you get more grief if you do mod. And plenty of people hate the z4 in general and Chris Bangle in particular.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    MK4 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    great advice guys. i always love to try and branch out and explore what's out there. funny how people hate the z4, i quite like it. bangle's designs were ugly in a charming way, i dig it B) i was looking at trading my vw golf for an e36 328is coupe, but i couldn't bring myself to do it.
    german cars are way cooler than any other cars, das a fact son