Thread: Just got Bilstein Sports for 98 E39 540.. what springs are you running pics/info!!

My Cars
    98 bmw 540i sedan

Just got Bilstein Sports for 98 E39 540.. what springs are you running pics/info!!

Alright.... As the title says new Bilstein Sports (front and rear) I want to know what springs your running with them and your feed back on if you like your spring set up or if you would go with different spring are driving with them. Reason I am about to order some springs and install the new set up this weekend! I want a nice stance not tooo low.... just lower than stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    H & R or Eibach Sport or OE Sport springs. Sport will lower it enough and be a little stiffer than stock when paired with Bilstein
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    I have einbach springs with blisten shocks, I like it but they are substantially stiffer than stock. Honestly it is personal preference, if you like the stock feel what I have would not be preferable.

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    Bmw e39, 528i
    I have H&R, lowers the front 1.3" and the rear 0.75". Perfect drop, isn't too low yet the wheel gap is beautifully flush. Doesn't scrap or rub either. And they greatly improve the ride of the car you won't be disappointed

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Throw, give, or sell those away ASAP

Bilstein never got the valving right for the E39 and the resulting ride is completely horrid. Very stiff compression, and piss poor rebound. Crashes over road imperfections is an apt description of the ride quality.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    98 bmw 540i sedan
    Bizze39 I ended up ordering the H&R sport springs.... i assume the ones you are talking about!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    Throw, give, or sell those away ASAP

Bilstein never got the valving right for the E39 and the resulting ride is completely horrid. Very stiff compression, and piss poor rebound. Crashes over road imperfections is an apt description of the ride quality.
    I see by your picture you are currently running the PSS9's... are you saying just the ones i currently have or Bilstein in general didnt get it right for the E39?

My Cars
    98 bmw 540i sedan
    I have had a set of D2 coil overs (street) and loved them... however this is my wife's 540 and she did not like the ride.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Vogtland.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonrandolph View Post
    I see by your picture you are currently running the PSS9's... are you saying just the ones i currently have or Bilstein in general didnt get it right for the E39?
    I'm speaking specifically of Bilstein Sport replacement struts like what you've pictured. The PSS9's are leaps and bounds better, as any decent coilover setup with adjustability should be.

I've installed several sets of Bilstein Sports per customer request on E39's. Each time I urged them to consider something else. 2 of those customers later came back to me to pay me a second time to install anything else.... The way they ride is just not becoming of a 5 series in general, and I'd even go so far as to say they can make the car outright dangerous to drive at speed around corners on undulating road surface as they cannot keep the wheel/tire in contact with the ground worth a damn.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast