Thread: 1997 BMW 528i E39 Unknown Issue!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i e39

1997 BMW 528i E39 Unknown Issue!

My dash lights and tail lights come on randomly, sometimes I will catch them on and try to start the car and turn the car off attempting to turn the lights off sometimes it works and most times they stay on. Head lights don't come on, and the result of it all is it dies out the battery. I've gone to every BMW mechanic there is in my area, and no one has a clue of what I am talking about. I've even shown a video of what it does. I've gotten it scanned a few times to see what the problem may be, but no luck.

The scan showed these problems
    Catalytic converters
    Secondary Air pump
    Secondary Air Fault
    Intermittant Signal- ABS Unit
    Front ABS sensor

I'm not sure if any of these problems are helping the problem? If any one has had the same problem or knows what is the problem or an idea, I'd really appreciate your help!

My Cars
    528i 1998 BMW, 530i 2005 BMW
    Your LCM is on it's way out. These are all symptoms of a bad light control monitor. It's located in the passenger foot kick panel there are DIY articles on replacing it just google it.There are numerous people on here that will sell you one, usually about $40 takes about an hour to replace. It will leave a yellow dot next to your odometer showing you've tampered with your odometer but I believe it goes away if you decide to have it re coded to your car...about $150.which I did not do. But it's my DD so it's not important to me. BTW sometimes the emergency flasher button stays on constantly as well. Hope this helps,happened on my '98 too.