Thread: What are these codes telling me?

My Cars
    E87 2004

What are these codes telling me?

Hi All
    With your help I managed to download these fault codes from my 118D.
    Could anyone tell me what the pressing issues are? I am getting Glow plugs and cooling fan?
    Does this mean that the cooling fan is broke?
    Anything else leap out?

Thank you for all help!

Espen

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/...psv9qkgxtv.jpg

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Scan each module individually
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E87 2004

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Have a read of WDS - I cannot see all of the fault codes but the glowplug control unit and auxiliary fan both use inputs from the coolant temperature sensor and the fan is telling you there is a problem with the fan activation circuit whilst the 4203 error is telling you there is no communication with the glowplug control unit via the Bit Serial Data interface. Start by checking all fuses and wiring.

This is an extract from WDS:-
    Glowplug system DDE6.0

The glowplug system consists of the following components:

• DDE control unit
    • electronic glowplug control unit
    • quick-start glowplugs
    • Bit serial data interface (BSD) and electrical leads

No glow-duration relay is fitted.
    The quick-start glowplugs are designed for a voltage of between 5.3 and 7.8 Volts. In the initial heating stage, system voltage may also be applied for a short time.
    The essential differences from the glowplug systems on previous models are as follows:

• control of the glowplugs is by pulse width modulation
    • the glowplug relay has been dispensed with and its function taken over by electronic output stages on the glowplug control unit
    • an emergency glowplug function has been introduced
    • quick-start glowplugs have been introduced
    • each of the four glowplug circuits can be diagnosed individually

To check the glow system, there are two adapter leads:

• 1-pin, order number 13 6 470
    • 12-pin, order number 13 6 460
      In conjunction with measurement box 26-pin, order number 61 1 459

Function

The glowplug control unit communicates with the DDE control unit via the bit serial data interface.
    The required heating output is determined by the DDE control unit on the basis of the following operational parameters:

• Coolant temperature
    • Vehicle voltage

Two other operational parameters determine the point at which glowplug function is activated and deactivated:

• Engine speed
    • Injection volume

The DDE control unit transmits the heating request to the glowplug control unit via the bit serial data interface. The glowplug control unit puts the request into effect by activating the glowplugs by means of a pulse-width modulated signal. In addition, the glowplug control unit sends diagnostic and status information back to the DDE control unit.
    Preheating

At coolant temperatures below 25 °C, there is a preheating period of 0.5 seconds. The preheating period increases as the temperature falls, reaching a maximum of 2.7 seconds at a coolant temperature of less than -25 °C.
    Activation of the glowplug system on the instrument cluster only occurs at coolant temperatures below 0 °C.
    After-heating

At coolant temperatures below 30 °C, there is a temperature-dependent after-heating period to improve idling and exhaust emission characteristics.
    Start preheating

Start preheating takes place for approx. 10 seconds if after the preheating time has elapsed the engine is not started and the ignition remain on.
    Troubleshooting

The DDE control unit monitors communication with the glowplug control unit. In the event of a fault on the bit serial data interface, the DDE control unit stores the following fault code:

• 4203, Glowplug control unit, no communication via bit serial data interface

The glowplug control unit monitors activation of the individual glowplugs and is able to detect the following faults and store them for each glowplug:

• Short circuit to earth
    • Break
    • Excess temperature output stage

If the glowplug control unit detects a fault, it reports it to the DDE control unit which stores the fault in its fault memory.

My Cars
    E87 2004
    That is amazing info, thank you!
    I will dig some more.
    One thought, the coolant temperature is displayed with the errors so that should mean it's ok??

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I have not looked at the 118D, but many BMW's use 2 sensors - one to provide info to the cluster and one for the DME/DDE. If this is not the case in your car, you need to check the wiring carefully for a short to ground or open circuit.

My Cars
    E87 2004
    I have deducted that it must be the temp probe that sends info to both the DDE and the fan (or however it works).
    It makes sense as the car overheated on me once, The glow plugs wont work, and fan will never go on. This I have noticed as well and I was curious as to why it never came on.
    Also the AC will shut down after a while when it gets too hot outside.
    I have found this part which I think is correct.
    Anyone know where it is located on the radiator?? At the bottom/outlet I presume?

Espen

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    This link might be helpful http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/1_se...sor_%28n47%29/ as should this E87 Coolant temperature sensor locations.pdfwhich is taken directly from WDS. Make sure to test the sensor before spending your money.

My Cars
    X5 E53 528i E39
    http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...9new/index.htm
    in these website there are a list by module. If the coolant sensor its not working correct check on the status part of the engine and check for temp an compare it should read good or -40 if its -40 check the wiring for short to ground or positive. if its good you need to check the sensor.

Hope it helps.

My Cars
    E87 2004
    That is great gentlemen! That last link does not work I'm afraid though..
    I will have a look when I get home as I am away at work for a few days. I dont understand the difference between the two sensors though. Not sure how to test them either, but will try. Have a feeling that it is the coolant outlet temp sensor. Just because that makes sense.. Any input?

Espen

My Cars
    E87 2004
    Hello Again
    I am doing some more diagnostics. There is apparently only one temp sensor. I did a live analogue reading with the INPS and I am copying in the results here. Also the airmass reading seems way out. Is that significant?

- - - Updated - - -

these readings were taken after 5 min on idle. Temp reading was the same before I started but had driven 30min prior to the test.

My Cars
    E87 2004
    I just did a analogue measurement on a cold engine (not running) to see what the Coolant temp was, and it shows 55 C. It is 10-12C outside. Is that enough to deduct that the sensor is bust? I have ordered a new one so I will replace it. Just not entirely convinced that it is the problem. What else does the glow control unit and fan control unit have in common?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The air flow measurements are fine because they match with the desired airmass. It is just INPA not scaled correctly for the units the car provides (not your fault, can't be changed).

Your coolant temperature is reading 117 C above. If that's wrong, then yes I would replace your sensor. If correct, you are going to ruin something on your engine.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 07-28-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E87 2004
    Took a simultaneous reading from the Maintenance menu on the instrument panel. It reads normal/expected temperatures, so the scaling/calibration on INPA is a bit out. By about 30c.
    So that tells me that the temp sensor is OK? What else can I try? Has the TWO control units really failed? Fan and Glow??

My Cars
    E87 2004
    Does anyone know of a procedure for testing the fan? Either via INPA or directly??

My Cars
    E87 2004
    Just an update for future reference so that might help someone..
    I changed the glow control unit today and the fault is gone.
    Just the fan left to fix..