Thread: Slipping Tranny in 2011 335d

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d

Slipping Tranny in 2011 335d

Overall I have loved my 335d since buying it new April of 2012..... there are two things that drive me nuts. The first, and most important, is that I have always had a transmission issue. When I slow down without stopping (for the dip at the end of a driveway) and then step on the gas, the transmission slips a bit. It drives me nuts! I have had it to the dealership four times and of course they have never been able to duplicate it and the tranny isn't throwing a code: therefore nothing is wrong. Has anyone else had this issue? It doesn't seem to do it as bad in sport mode... but I could be wrong. I will have to test it more that way.

I did have the dealership completely reset the tranny software (which they didn't want to do) and that didn't help. The end of my warranty is coming up soon and if I need a new tranny I sure would like it to occur under warranty.

This has to be the laziest shifting transmission that I have ever had. For lack of a better word, it lollygags between shifts almost slipping between the gears. It drives me nuts and makes me wish it had a manual tranny!

The second problem no one can fix (so this is more of a rant) is that it has the worst navigation software on the planet. I can't tell you how many times I look at the map and not a single road is labelled. Zero! I have taken pictures where a majority of Pasadena is on the map with no single road labelled. It makes me want to create a site called www.bmwnavigationsucks.com for people to post such pictures - does a similar site already exist? Oh yea, and having the address that I programmed in an hour ago showing so I know what it is would be nice as would telling me what side of the street it is on.

On the highway I absolutely love this car. The instant torque is amazing but can get you into trouble if you aren't paying attention. I got pulled over doing more than 105 on the 5 in San Diego - amazingly I didn't get a ticket.

My Cars
    E34, E30, LC, VP44, CJ7
    What are the last 7 digits of the VIN number?

When was the last time you updated the Navigation level in the vehicle?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d

Slipping Tranny

Quote Originally Posted by e34Croak View Post
    What are the last 7 digits of the VIN number?

When was the last time you updated the Navigation level in the vehicle?
    The last 7 digits are F184739 and I have not updated the Navigation level in the vehicle. I was told at the dealership that the upgrades just update the maps and wouldn't change the issues that I was having with the software.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d
    So no one else has experienced a slipping transmission in this car?

My Cars
    2011Lotus Evora S
    My 2011 X35d shifts very well, except occasionally at WOT there can be a liittle slippage from 2nd to 3rd....but mine also tuned to ~320HP/525tq coutesy of Burger Motorsports and I'm sure its getting close to tq limits of tranny!
    2004 Graduate Skip Barber 3 day Race School Competition Certified
    2016 Range Rover Sport HSE Montalcino Red, Ivory
    2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata GTPRHT True Red
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d Vermillion Red, Cinnamon Leather, Bamboo trim, Freight train
    2011 Lotus EvoraS Persian Blue, Black Suedetex Leather
    2008 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint grey, Grey Leather

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d
    Wow, 320 HP, aren't you getting a lot of tire slip? I imagine you are testing the limits of the tranny. I want to move to a rear tire with a greater contact patch so the stupid traction control doesn't kick in when I simply pull into traffic. Until I get that issue resolved I don't see the point in upping the HP at all. The X5 I imagine has a larger tire. That said, what did Burger Motorsports do? Up your turbo pressure?

This tranny issue is annoying the hell outta me and I don't know what to do about it. The dealership can't "duplicate" it and the computer tells them all is fine. The end of my 50k warranty will be soon and I want this resolved.

My Cars
    On the hunt for a 535D
    I had a really bad case of slipping/flaring on my old E34 535i and the stealer and another mechanics view was "Tranny rebuild" at $3k-$5k
    The ECU did not give them any meaningful codes.
    My issue was quite dramatic though, as when it happened I only had 1st and reverse gears.

Eventually I found a good Tranny shop who diagnosed an issue with the "Pulse Generator" inside the Tranny.
    The part was $90, and with labour and fluid I think it cost about $300.

Worth checking out......

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    I had a slipping tranny in my 06 750i, I took it to the mechanic costs me $3000 to repair they said it was the valve body.

My Cars
    '03 Ram 3500, 2004 Civic
    Hi,

I would look into having a shift kit installed. Something like this one should really help tighten things up. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZF6HP21-ZF6H...1U1SGY&vxp=mtr (I have owned 3 Dodge Ram Diesels with the 4 speed automatics and I will never again own one without putting a shift kit in. It tightens things up and makes the transmission last way longer due to less slippage. )

Hope this helps.

Thanks

God bless...
    mark