Thread: VANOS Bible - read about worst ever bmw product!!!

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994

VANOS Bible - read about how vanos work...

READ THIS, VANOS Bible!!!

https://www.scribd.com/doc/91511075/...e-double-VANOS

if someone can get pdf from this post it here.

i hope that this will help many of yours how vanos work.

maybe admin can make sticky for this.
    Last edited by foler; 07-12-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocrvaw3d4UM Dont drive over limited speed!!! Drive safely......

My Cars
    z3
    Cool article... but worst ever BMW product? It's a technological feature that makes BMW engines very smooth with torque across a much larger RPM band to create the refined, linear power they are known for.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Cool article... but worst ever BMW product? It's a technological feature that makes BMW engines very smooth with torque across a much larger RPM band to create the refined, linear power they are known for.
    1. First fail very often. Look at honda vtec. Much more reliable.
    2. No any reason why repair cost milion dolars?! Several seals and some electromagnet ventil? Please come on...

On e36 you cant even buy new. Rolls royce no more produce this and bmw sell repaired old units. Wtf???
    Last edited by foler; 07-11-2015 at 06:37 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocrvaw3d4UM Dont drive over limited speed!!! Drive safely......

My Cars
    z3
    VANOS works in a different way than VTEC and later VANOS units allow infinite adjustability. Not just "on or off" type engagement like with VTEC... some VTEC systems allow more intermediate adjustments but its nothing compared to what VANOS offers as far as adjustability range. Repairs are pretty cheap on the VANOs too... (at least in the US) just buy the seals and that fixes it 90% of the time.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by foler View Post
    1. First fail very often. Look at honda vtec. Much more reliable.
    2. No any reason why repair cost milion dolars?! Several seals and some electromagnet ventil? Please come on...

On e36 you cant even buy new. Rolls royce no more produce this and bmw sell repaired old units. Wtf???
    What are you talking about? Repairing the vanos is a couple of hundred bucks roughly (and that's a liberal estimate). If you do the beisan system seals, it should be good for a good long while.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    6BT, 3VZE
    BMW cooling systems fail a lot more often than the Vanos.

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    VANOS works in a different way than VTEC and later VANOS units allow infinite adjustability. Not just "on or off" type engagement like with VTEC... some VTEC systems allow more intermediate adjustments but its nothing compared to what VANOS offers as far as adjustability range. Repairs are pretty cheap on the VANOs too... (at least in the US) just buy the seals and that fixes it 90% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    What are you talking about? Repairing the vanos is a couple of hundred bucks roughly (and that's a liberal estimate). If you do the beisan system seals, it should be good for a good long while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    BMW cooling systems fail a lot more often than the Vanos.
    Yes, you can fix it with bessian parts but 99% dont know for that. I write about dealer repair cost. Dealer wont repair unit, he replace part which cost xxxxxxxxx$$$$.

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    We don't repair the units, because we have to warranty the units for 2yrs, unlimited mileage and we're not going to give you a warranty with after market parts. You know of a cheaper way to fix your car, so what's your gripe. If you had any clue of the cost to run a dealership from the equipment, to the training of the techs, etc you might understand that repairs are naturally going to be more expensive. We live in a free country you can take your car anywhere. You have an expensive car with the absolute SOTA tech when it was built so its only natural it might be more expensive to maintain. As far as VANOS is concerned an interview with a driver of a BMW race M3,who had come from another marque, when asked what gave his car such an advantage said the main reason was for the flexibility VANOS provided. BMW race cars from the 24 hrs of Le Mans over to the series in the states have faced restrictions due to their advanced hp for the classes they race in. Also since you seem to be so web savvy you probably know all about the vanos delete. Lastly working at a dealership seeing hundres of cars a week, we really don't see an issue with the vanos units themselves, the most frequent problem we see is from the people who have changed their own oil or had the oil changes at a discount place and the lube dude threw out the cage in the oil filter cap and the seal that helps maintain oil pressure is missing and we end up with vanos faults. You are so enamored with Vtec, it might be time to get rid of your bimmer and get a honda, maybe a nice del sol.
    Last edited by ptarditi; 07-12-2015 at 10:47 AM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Life must suck in Croatia.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    Quote Originally Posted by ptarditi View Post
    We don't repair the units, because we have to warranty the units for 2yrs, unlimited mileage and we're not going to give you a warranty with after market parts. You know of a cheaper way to fix your car, so what's your gripe. If you had any clue of the cost to run a dealership from the equipment, to the training of the techs, etc you might understand that repairs are naturally going to be more expensive. We live in a free country you can take your car anywhere. You have an expensive car with the absolute SOTA tech when it was built so its only natural it might be more expensive to maintain. As far as VANOS is concerned an interview with a driver of a BMW race M3,who had come from another marque, when asked what gave his car such an advantage said the main reason was for the flexibility VANOS provided. BMW race cars from the 24 hrs of Le Mans over to the series in the states have faced restrictions due to their advanced hp for the classes they race in. Also since you seem to be so web savvy you probably know all about the vanos delete. Lastly working at a dealership seeing hundres of cars a week, we really don't see an issue with the vanos units themselves, the most frequent problem we see is from the people who have changed their own oil or had the oil changes at a discount place and the lube dude threw out the cage in the oil filter cap and the seal that helps maintain oil pressure is missing and we end up with vanos faults. You are so enamored with Vtec, it might be time to get rid of your bimmer and get a honda, maybe a nice del sol.
    @ptarditi:
    My apology because I misspoke. Vanos do good job but is incorrectly implemented. Problem is in high pressure working principle of vanos. Whenever very high pressure is needed this system will broke. Before or after. This is not problem if its not to often (its not in bmw case) or cheap to repair. Problem is in repair cost and here bmw CHEAT customers. Why cheat? My own story. I have vanos failure in my euro model m3 e36 3.0. Call dealer and ask: hello, how much cost vanos replace on m3 e36? dealer answers: 2650$ + some $ for work, BUT, YOU NEED TO LEAVE YOUR OLD UNIT IN SERVICE CENTER. WE NEED TO SEND IT TO BMW TO BE REBUILD FOR ANOTHER CUSTOMER...ptarditi, bmw sell OLD, rebuilded vanos unit AS NEW, just like mrvanos, drvanos but for 800% bigger price.... Sorry, but this is true and this is CHEATING customers. Rolls Royce, which is manufacturer of this units, wont make vanos units for years and customer can get from bmw ONLY rebuilded units. So yes, bmw repair units but sell it as new. For several o-rings and maybe some electromagnet solenoids + some working hours bmw want 2650$??? Often solenoids stop working and source for this problem cant be different oil or oil pressure. So your statement that lube dude make bad job is not correct.
    So, want to tell that story about the vanos have many pros and cons. So much mechanical and electrical problems, complexity and to costly repair without any reason for that raises many questions. Maybe is not time and place for comparison, but how 7000cm3 C6 Z06 Corvette without any of this high-tech products make much more torque and have lower gas consumption? Sorry, I am bmw fun but fact is fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    Your comment is really bad and this is first time that someone write something like that on this forum. You dont have any reason for this.
    Yes, life sucks here if you think about the cars because we pay 200-300% more for servicing than you in usa. I think about all cars, not only bmw. Look parts price for example Corvette. I like bmw cars, we always have it in family but servicing this cars is simply to expensive, to overpriced, from dealer working hour price to parts price. How you explain that 1L oil 10w60 cost 35$??? Examples is million. This is reason why I probably dont have anymore bmw. But this is another story.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    It most certainly does not... it's a beautiful country, with - may I add - many beautiful women

Nemoj cuti glupi koment. Ja volim Hrvatska. Ja govorim malo jezik... just enough to embaress myself

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    @bimmerbraker, you are from croatia?

My Cars
    z3
    No, but I dated a Croatian girl for a long time
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 07-12-2015 at 03:22 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    Aaaa..yea, croatian girl is must have-)))

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    My earlier point was its not a cheap car and the problem with most owners of either second-hand or older BMW's with some decent mileage is you either accept the savings in the purchase vs. the cost of the needed repairs to maintain it, or you move on. I have friends that rebuild the units and most owners hook up with techs that do sidework (off premises). Sretno s Bimmer!
    Last edited by ptarditi; 07-13-2015 at 06:18 AM.