My Cars
    2x E38 740iL/04 4.8 E53

EHC2 E53 Question

Hello. I have a 2004 4.8iS and it recently came up with an SLS inactive warning. The dealership said I need a new EHC Module. My question is I now have the ability to plug the truck up myself and read the errors. I do have an error in the EHC module .... It reads 1 error 50 CAN Bus error frequency 3 times. But this doesn't tell me much. I was using INPA do I need to use DIS to figure out what's really going on? The voltage reading for all 4 sensors were very similar however not exactly the same. I assume this is normal?

My real question here is which program should I use to diagnose my problem? And a little instruction as far as how to check the truck? I am new to diagnosing everything on my own and have had great success doing so on my E38. Just need some guidance.

Can I reset the EHC2? Do I really need to buy a new one and program it to the car?
    2001 E38 (Stroker Motor) / 2004 X5 4.8iS / 2006 760Li V12

My Cars
    2x E38 740iL/04 4.8 E53
    Since no one replied I did my own research and found the answers I needed. The SLS warning was because of the EHCII module being bad. I replaced and encoded it and the warning is gone now. Pretty easy to replace and I have the diagnostic software to fix so was entirely a DIY for me. Used DIS to diagnose the problem and went from there. If anyone is looking for pointers I pretty much narrowed it all the way down myself and wouldn't mind sharing.
    2001 E38 (Stroker Motor) / 2004 X5 4.8iS / 2006 760Li V12

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    6 year old thread so maybe you’re not around here anymore, but I am having the exact same code and there is very little on it. I’d love to hear how you went about troubleshooting.

I have a 2004 4.8is

Cheers!

My Cars
    z3
    Use INPA to read the error codes in the EHC and you can also do a live readout of what all the sensors are seeing if the error codes don't indicate anything specific. In my case I had a level sensor that was faulty, I replaced it, reset the ride height and it's been perfect ever since

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    Thanks for getting back to me! Yeah in INPA I’m getting code 50 from EHC2. Description says CAN Bus.

I’ll run some test today to see what the sensors say and report back.

My Cars
    z3
    CAN bus issues often indicate a failed module, if the sensors don't point to anything else being faulty, I'd look into replacing the module

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    Ok so I can test the sensors but the all have different values. What is the value supposed to be around?

Does the x need to be running or just on?