Thread: 2011 335d SES Again......

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d

2011 335d SES Again......

I am afraid my love affair with The Ultimate (diesel) Driving Machine is about at its end. Over the last 4 months I have replaced the rear NOx sensor and the entire DEF tank assembly. I had the dreaded SES light and dealership told me the code was the fluid sensor in the passive tank. Of course you cannot change just the sensor so the entire assembly which is both the active tank and the reserve tanks in addition to the fluid level sensors. This was over $2500 at Fields BMW in Orlando. Today less than 2 months and 2000 miles later I have the SES light again. I cannot help but wonder if the stealship is just swapping parts and resetting the SES light in hopes of getting lucky and replacing the faulty part. So far it doesnt appear they have. I checked the Vehicle Status and everything is green and OK. The dealership told me they filled the DEF tank ~2000 miles ago when they replaced it so it cant be out of DEF yet. I am at my wits end. The only thing that I find curious is that the last 2 times the SES light came on it did so under very hard accelleration. Today I was merging on to the freeway and had to aggressively accellerate from 40 to 85-90mph to get into the flow of traffic. The car pulled like freight train but as soon as I feathered off the throttle and leveled off my speed the SES came on. Same scenerio last time it came on but the dealer says the code its throwing its emissions related. Of course all these issues started at 51,000 miles, yeah literally 1k past the warrenty and BMW told me to pound sand when I asked for coverage. Car now has 53,500 miles

Your thoughts and advice please.

My Cars
    11 335d, 02 LR Disco II
    I'm taking mine in because of the ses light coming on under hard acceleration. It's come on twice now after ... Testing what she can do on the open road. I ran my code reader and it came up as a mass air flow issue. I've got 46k on mine, I'll let you know how I fair and if the issue is similar .. Although I hope not.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d
    "the code its throwing its emissions related" I am having the same crap over and over and over. The car has been in the shop 3 times.
    1. Carbon build up: Clean head and manifold.
    2. MAF sensor: Replace
    3. Emissions (covered under federal 8/80k rule): Looks like a complete new exhaust under the car.

About 500 miles later, the light is on again for the forth time. This time I just said fick it, and drove the car. The light went off. Then a few weeks later, it's back on. I purchased an extended warranty through AAA. Maybe, it's time to "fix" it and get it sold.

My Cars
    2011 335d
    Mine has 46k too and is also under warranty, and needs the DEF tank and sensor replaced... The dealer told us they were waiting for the part and there is none in the country and it's on special order and will call us.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d
    I am done with this POS.

Nov 2014 - Carbon build up.
    Jan 2015 - Mass Air Flow
    May 2015 - Catalytic converter (one of them)
    August 2015 - the other catalytic converter.
    August 2015 - the damn SES light is on again, same code, P2200.

Reset, and trade in for something better engineered.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    How much would you sell a broken emissions one for?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '03 Ram 3500, 2004 Civic
    Hi,

So, I am curious what happens when the SES goes on? Does it go into limp mode? What if it stays on a long time, does it eventually go into limp mode/reduced power mode? Any other issues from continuing to drive with the SES lit?

Thanks

God bless...
    Mark

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcgranahan View Post
    So, I am curious what happens when the SES goes on? Does it go into limp mode? What if it stays on a long time, does it eventually go into limp mode/reduced power mode? Any other issues from continuing to drive with the SES lit?
    Limp mode depends upon the *TYPE* of problem. If it's a fault with the SCR/DEF system for instance, no limp mode occurs (I've been running for a couple thousand miles that way.) Even many faults with engine components don't cause limp mode.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post
    Limp mode depends upon the *TYPE* of problem. If it's a fault with the SCR/DEF system for instance, no limp mode occurs (I've been running for a couple thousand miles that way.) Even many faults with engine components don't cause limp mode.
    If you'd like certain stuff or codes disabled/deleted from the ecu, let me know. I'm in auburn, and have done 335d egr/dpf/def removals before, as well as any fault code you wish.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    BMW M4
    Testing what she can do on the open road