BAVToys

Thread: Blew my ccfl angel eyes inverter

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5

Blew my ccfl angel eyes inverter

Went to go to work and started to throw 'tail light' Check control.
    Replacing fuse #33 [parking light] and it blew again.
    Started disconnecting the lights.
    -tails -[fuse blew]
    -corner light -[fuse blew]
    -headlights -fuse didn't blow
    -connect highbeam -fuse didnt blow
    -connect low beam -fuse blew
    Next was the risky procedure -[do not do this]
    I inserted a 15 amp [higher than rated] into the circuit [after disconnecting the low beam circuit] and then with the low beams powered up, connected the low beam wiring.
    Inverter started to smoke slightly.

Disconnected the wiring and removed my inverter
    So now Im waiting for a replacement [ebay to the rescue - Us seller in Jersey]

Once I disconnected the inverter I stopped blowing fuses.

Question
    -Could the CCFL rings short internally?

I did read the inverters have a tendency to fail after some time. I got 3 years out of my lights and I daytime ride with them.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    A short on the output side of the inverter will not short the input, they are transformer coupled. Sounds like something on the low voltage (car side) of the inverter failed to a short.
    The new inverters should fix it.
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    Ya the short I believe was in the low [red/Black] side. The new one came today but we've had thunderstorms all evening. Gonna fix it this morning hopefully.
    new [ebay] part was 6 bucks shipped

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    [update]
    :: Replaced the inverter with an Ebay .. Switched the sticker [the ebay one was not labeled]

Resoldered wiring inside the light [new inverter came with a quick release on the power [lowvoltDC] side [should simplify replacement if it comes to that]. I ordered 3 [one replacement for my burnt and two backups]

After replacing the faulty inverter my angel eyes started working again.

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    I know you just went through all the trouble to get them working again, but if I was you, I would consider ditching the outdated CCFL's and go with LED's. CCFL's are old tech and very troublesome as you've seen with the inverters. I had nothing but issues with mine on my e36 years ago. Wouldn't light up in the cold, blew inverters, not always even light when they did light in the cold. I eventually ripped them out and ran city lights instead.

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    ya Im considering a whole new light setup. I purchased these 2 years ago, this is my first issue , however as I learn more about lights I find that it's not recommended to use HID kits with halogen projectors [I have halogen projectors]. The H1 halogens are 'ok' but I could use more lighting on the roadway.
    Just don't want to be 'that guy' blinding oncoming drivers.

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    HID's in halogen PROJECTORS are alright (not the best) but way better than being that douche that does HID's in standard halogen housings. As for H1 bulbs, I run them in my E46 with Morimoto projectors and the light output is fine. Sometimes it really comes down to the bulbs.

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    What HID kits would you recommend for use in DEPO H1 Projector lights [for the e36?]