Thread: General Q about these run flats ... what to do / F30

My Cars
    2015 328I xDrive M Sport

General Q about these run flats ... what to do / F30

Seeing many horrendous reviews and $$$$ dumped into replacement tires, what is the trend now ...

Im almost in a 2015 328i ... is it best I negotiate the car coming with regular tires OR just stick to the run flats coming on the car. The car is going to have 19" rims on it.

If going with regular tires ... What the heck do you do in the case of a flat?? do you just use tire sealant / fix a flat products??

Really confused on this and is annoying to see how terrible the reviews are on these.
    - Jeff

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    As you're gonna go with 19" aftermarket wheels, you won't be able to use the tires and will probably resell them on CL or somewhere, just get what you can without paying anything extra.

What I do in case of a flat: I have an air pump in the car (plugs into cigarette lighter), a can of fix-a-flat, a membership with AAA and a cel phone. Between these, the solution has always been found.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2015 328I xDrive M Sport
    I should have mentioned 19" rims are coming stock with the car as per the M package.

I was thinking of downgrading and going for the 18" rims just to soften the blow on tires and replacements.

Anyone else going non run flats?

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    My dad and brother both took the run flats off their E60 and E90 and run regular tires. Ride improved significantly.

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    2015 328I xDrive M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by RyansBMW View Post
    My dad and brother both took the run flats off their E60 and E90 and run regular tires. Ride improved significantly.
    That's what I'm hearing a lot as well ... how much better the ride becomes as well.

What are they doing in the event of a flat though??? these cars have no spare tires and no room for a small donut either ... Just hope and pray you don't get one?? lol
    - Jeff

My Cars
    z3
    AAA in case of a flat. Could also carry a sealant repair kit or a donut spare in the trunk but neither of those seem like ideal situations to me.

I'm not aware of BMW selling their new cars without runflats though. Seems like a bit of a legal liability largely due to what you mention regarding what you do when there is a flat... though it may be different up in Canada. On older BMW M's that didn't come with a spare and in pre-runflat days, BMW would offer roadside assistance/towing (like what AAA offers) during the warranty period. But I would never in a million years expect them to offer this on a new car, particularly a more basic model and one that should be outfitted with runflats that you change to non-RF's.

I'd also normally say to stick with the 19"s but it really depends on road conditions where you are. The tires are negligible, its a couple hundred$$$ difference ever couple years or so. But the ride quality difference can be substantial on roads that aren't well kept.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw2nv View Post
    That's what I'm hearing a lot as well ... how much better the ride becomes as well.

What are they doing in the event of a flat though??? these cars have no spare tires and no room for a small donut either ... Just hope and pray you don't get one?? lol
    Strangely enough, my dads E60 has a spare tire, even tho it came with run flats from the factory. That made his decision really easy to make the switch to regular tires. My brothers e90 doesn't have the spare but he has AAA and a cell phone so hes covered.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    AAA in case of a flat. Could also carry a sealant repair kit or a donut spare in the trunk but neither of those seem like ideal situations to me.

I'm not aware of BMW selling their new cars without runflats though. Seems like a bit of a legal liability largely due to what you mention regarding what you do when there is a flat... though it may be different up in Canada. On older BMW M's that didn't come with a spare and in pre-runflat days, BMW would offer roadside assistance/towing (like what AAA offers) during the warranty period. But I would never in a million years expect them to offer this on a new car, particularly a more basic model and one that should be outfitted with runflats that you change to non-RF's.

I'd also normally say to stick with the 19"s but it really depends on road conditions where you are. The tires are negligible, its a couple hundred$$$ difference ever couple years or so. But the ride quality difference can be substantial on roads that aren't well kept.
    All new BMWs (in the US, at least) come standard with Roadside Assistance for the duration of the 4-year 50,000 mile warranty.

OP: Our store does not offer a method of nor a reimbursement for the costs of switching to non-runflats. When a customer purchases a vehicle that's supposed to have runflats on it, they leave with a car with runflats on it.

If the cost of replacement tires is what concerns you, purchase BMW Tire & Wheel coverage. For the price of about 2 tires, you get unlimited coverage of the wheels and tires for a number years. And you can amortize it into the car payment if you're financing.

I personally don't think that the RFTs are too harsh at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

I have no complaints about my RFT's ...

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    I personally don't think that the RFTs are too harsh at all.
    I agree. If anyone ever did a blind test (say as a passenger) I doubt most people could tell the difference between the two.

I switched from run-flats after my stock ones wore out because regular tires are cheaper and I so rarely (about every 8-10 years) get a flat anyways that the inconvenience is very minor for me. Also regular tires give you more options in the performance category.

If my tires had the same tread wear and tire pattern and were as good in dry as wet as they are now and cost the same, I wouldn't care if they were run-flats.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    I switched to non-runflats on my e90. I carry a compressor, jack, lug wrench, and a plug kit. Switched mostly due to cost of the runflats, and the fact that they don't last very long. With TPMS, you are notified immediately upon losing any air pressure, so with my compressor, can top off & get to a shop with no problem. Also, living on an island, the farthest I can drive from home is less that 100 miles.

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Also, do some research about run flats and cracked wheels. BMW has had some problems with its softer cast wheels cracking due to the extremely stiff sidewall these tires have. My brother had to have a rim replaced due to this very reason and hence his initial reasons to get rid of them and go with traditional tires.