Thread: Engine wiring harness

My Cars
    850Ci

Engine wiring harness

selling a wiring harness for e31 850i

in good condition. all wires are still flexible.
    I re-taped 2 wires since the original one was falling off.

price: 80 euro / 90 dollars + shipping

(I have paypal)

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850i
    Will it fit 09/91 850i?

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    You need to know the exact date of the donor vehicle manufacture.
    There are about a dozen different variants of this loom. Not saying you can't use a different one, but you do need to know what to modify to make it work.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850i
    Thank you for the correction. This incompatibility is the reason why I am asking if it will fit. I didn't know that there some that can be modified to work.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Any E31 M70 harness can be made to work. it just makes it easier if you know exactly which schematics to use to do it, hence the desire for the original donor info.
    The differences are not huge, but there are differences you might need to address. O2 sensor heater circuits are common and simple reworks. There are a few others, dependent on the loom date too.
    But really, as long as you can get a decent shipping rate from Belgium (where this one is), grab it while you can. It looks to be in great shape and it is relatively inexpensive.
    When you get it, pull yours out and then rewrap the new one with self curing silicon tape to replace all the brittle OEM coverings and address any differences you find between the two while you're at it. It isn't hard, just seems that way
    I'll help you if you get stuck.

My Cars
    850Ci
    I just checked and the loom came from an 1992 model (may).
    is there a way to check compatibility?

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    Any E31 M70 harness can be made to work. it just makes it easier if you know exactly which schematics to use to do it, hence the desire for the original donor info.
    The differences are not huge, but there are differences you might need to address. O2 sensor heater circuits are common and simple reworks. There are a few others, dependent on the loom date too.
    But really, as long as you can get a decent shipping rate from Belgium (where this one is), grab it while you can. It looks to be in great shape and it is relatively inexpensive.
    When you get it, pull yours out and then rewrap the new one with self curing silicon tape to replace all the brittle OEM coverings and address any differences you find between the two while you're at it. It isn't hard, just seems that way
    I'll help you if you get stuck.
    Awesome. Thank you for these little details.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by obispoil View Post
    I just checked and the loom came from an 1992 model (may).
    is there a way to check compatibility?
    1992 is close enough. I will buy this loom anyway. I have sent you the details in personal messages.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by bibika View Post
    ..1992 is close enough. I will buy this loom anyway
    From the looks of it, you may not need to modify it at all.
    Just keep in mind that some looms have an O2 sensor relay wired in for the heater and some do not. I'm not even finding that distinction on the ETM schematics, 91,92,93,94 all show no relay - but I know this isn't always true in real life. It may be the early production cars had the relay, not sure... but I know some did. You might even find you originally have one If so, splicing it in or out of the new loom is not as scary as it might first seem.

Also, pay attention to the locations of each specific plug socket up behind the oil cap where the cylinder ID and crank sensors plug in. They are all physically the same, so you need to mark the ones you took off for position and then match the new ones by wire colors and locate those in the same way as before...