Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Detailers/Body guys: Need an expert opinion on some clear coat failure (E46)

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci

Detailers/Body guys: Need an expert opinion on some clear coat failure (E46)

A week ago, I noticed clear coat failure on the driver's side door on my car.

I've had this 2003 330ci for a number of years and have always washed/waxed the car religiously. It gets driven year round, but is rinsed after every snow storm. I know the hood has been replaced and sprayed, but there's no evidence of it being blended all the way back to the doors. That being said, i've never seen factory clear fail like this.

I picked up some touch up paint, and my plan was to pick out the lifted clear, use some 2000 grit to feather the edges, and drop fill new clear in. I taped off around the worst spot, and when I lifted the tape, it peeled up the clear in an area like 3 times the size of the original failure. There's clearly an issue here.

Is there anything that can be done about this? What's the best course of action in terms of damage control at this point?

This is the worst spot. It started out the size of the area you can see where I removed the clear. The painters tape pulled it up to the larger bubbled area.

I removed the rest of that clear. But I don't think it's going to stop, so this is where I put the brakes on things so I could get a professional opinion.

The rest of the spots look like this right now...

Last edited by fiveightandten; 06-04-2015 at 11:08 PM.
    -Nick

My Cars
    z3
    Probably not factory paint in that area. Not a lot you can do as far as a permanent repair. Sanding it down to the edges and clearing over it would be a good short term solution

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Either the pics are skewing the perspective, or that's a really heavy coat of clear.

Agreed that it doesn't look factory. usually clear only peels in circles like that when the surface wasn't perfect prior to spraying.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525iA
    I have the same issue on my E39 on the roof. Original paint as I'm the original owner. I think a respray is your only option here :/

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    respray unfortunately. The same thing happened on my '97 e39 and it's only gotten worse I'm pretty sure the paint is not factory on my car.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a detailing and body shop guy look at it today. He put a paint meter on the car, and looked things over. He confirmed that it's factory paint. It'll have to be taken down and re-cleared.
    -Nick

Quote Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a detailing and body shop guy look at it today. He put a paint meter on the car, and looked things over. He confirmed that it's factory paint. It'll have to be taken down and re-cleared.
    Maybe Factory paint, and not factory clear?

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by light351 View Post
    Maybe Factory paint, and not factory clear?
    The whole car was 4.2 to 4.4 mil. Except for the trunk, which was 9.3, and obviously got sprayed at some point. There aren't any tape lines, and the color match/orange peel match perfectly. It appears to be untouched factory base and clear.
    -Nick

My Cars
    s52 e30, e36Ms, e46M
    thats a consitent number for that paint. i would have said respray myself as well. good luck with it.
    Check out my details and paint corrections!

www.theautospallc.com